Ed Attenborough is an associate in the Dispute Resolution group of the firm's London office. While Ed's practice focuses on international arbitration and commercial litigation, Ed also has experience across a broad range of alternative dispute resolution processes. Ed's experience includes representations in the energy (including oil and gas and renewables), financial services and defence sectors.
Ed has significant international arbitration experience, and has represented clients in arbitrations under both the ICC and LCIA rules, as well as in ad hoc arbitration proceedings. In the English High Court, Ed has advised financial sector and corporate clients on litigation proceedings, including insolvency proceedings and, typically, proceedings with a multi-jurisdictional element. Ed has broad experience obtaining and opposing injunctive relief in the High Court, including in relation to search orders, freezing injunctions and anti-suit injunctions.
Ed is a Solicitor Advocate and has successfully provided oral representation for clients, for example in ad hoc adjudication proceedings.
Examples of recent international arbitration representations include:
- Advising a major oil and gas company in an ad hoc arbitration under Sharia law in the Middle East concerning a major gas plant debottlenecking project.
- Acting for the lead contractor in a major ICC arbitration arising out of the termination of a rail construction project in South Europe.
- Acting in an ICC arbitration between joint venture partners to an oil production sharing contract in East Asia.
Having spent six months on secondment with a prominent global investment bank, Ed also has a particular interest in arbitration within the financial services sector.
Examples of recent litigation representations include:
- Acting for the Brazilian respondents to anti-suit proceedings in the Commercial Court and the Court of Appeal in what is now the leading English authority on the governing law of arbitration clauses.
- Representing a European bank in relation to Commercial Court proceedings to enforce our client's mortgages over two aircraft and related proceedings under the Cross Border Insolvency Regulations.
- Advising a committee of hedge funds in relation to proceedings in the Chancery Division concerning the threatened write-down of English-law bonds held by our clients in an overseas bank.
- Representing a major contractor against an international chemical company in a professional negligence action before the Technology and Construction Court.
- Advising the Wind Hellas group on its €1.8 billion financial restructuring, by way of a scheme of arrangement and several administrations.
- Acting for a U.S. internet company to identify and take action against an English individual responsible for "hacking" into our client's computer systems.
- Acting for an English-registered company and its owners in the Companies Court to oppose a disputed winding-up petition.
- Advising Weather Investments in relation to the financial restructuring and 'pre-packaged' administration sale of Wind Hellas.
Bars and Courts
England and Wales, 2007
LPC, Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, 2005
GDL, City University, 2004
MA, Pembroke College, University of Cambridge, 1998