Claire DeLelle focuses on commercial litigation and pre-litigation counseling and resolution, representing domestic, foreign, and foreign-sovereign clients in complex commercial litigations at all levels in federal and state courts. She has argued before federal and state courts, at both the trial and appellate levels, and has also second-chaired federal trials, including obtaining a multimillion dollar award in favor of a plaintiff-client. She has also defended a former CEO of a UK-headquartered company in a U.S. criminal jury trial.
Ms. DeLelle has represented foreign sovereign and diplomatic clients in civil litigations involving the act-of-state doctrine, the political question doctrine, the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, and the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations. She also counsels clients regarding US sanctions laws administered and enforced by Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control.
Representative matters include:
- Obtained order on behalf of Indonesian state-owned bank vacating multi-million dollar writs of attachment against five U.S. correspondent banks.
- Represented liquidators of hedge fund in various US actions, including securities fraud actions, in context of cross-border litigation centered in the Channel Islands.
- Represented a Saudi partnership in the Ahmad Hamad Algosaibi & Bros. Co. v. Stewart civil litigation in the Central District of California seeking to recover the proceeds of a $10 billion fraud; successfully argued motion to dismiss counterclaim alleged under Bahrain law.
- Represented a foreign sovereign in numerous terrorism civil actions, resulting in the execution of an historic claims-settlement agreement with the United States.
- Obtained the dismissal of multi-million-dollar counterclaims against client in International Finance Corporation v. Carrera Holdings, Inc. in the New York Supreme Court, Commercial Division; affirmed by the First Department, Appellate Division.
- Obtained the dismissal of contract and tort claims against foreign sovereign in Anglo-Iberia Underwriting Insurance Company v. PT Jamsostek in the Southern District of New York; affirmed by the Second Circuit.
- Successfully represented a Swiss company operating in Uzbekistan and certain of its affiliates in federal actions in the District of Columbia involving claims arising from an alleged expropriation.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of foreign sovereign in 4 Third Avenue Leasehold, LLC v. Permanent Mission of the United Arab Emirates in the Southern District of New York; affirmed in part by the Second Circuit (argued).
- Obtained dismissal of complaint in Carrasco v. United Arab Emirates in the District of Arizona (argued); affirmed by the Ninth Circuit.
- First-chaired defense of commercial dispute arising from asset-purchase agreement in the Southern District of New York (argued motions).
- Second-chaired bench trial of Pantheon Software, Inc. v. Dawes, in the Eastern District of Virginia, and obtaining a multi-million-dollar award in favor of plaintiff-client.
- Represented foreign banking authority in moving to vacate New York restraining notice concerning $30 million in frozen wire transfer transactions.
Bars and Courts
New York State Bar
District of Columbia Bar
US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
US District Court for the Southern District of New York
US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
US District Court for the District of Columbia
US District Court for the District of Maryland
LLM, Washington College of Law, American University, 2000
LLB (Hons), University of Aberdeen, Scotland, 1998
Professional Associations and Memberships
American Bar Association
District of Columbia Bar Association
British American Business Association
Middle East Institute
Publications, speeches, and events
Author, "US Appeals Court Upholds Bondholder's Discovery of Argentina's Foreign Assets," Client Alert
Presenter, "Ancillary U.S. Proceedings: Chapter 15 and 28 U.S.C. § 1782," hosted by Kleyr Grasso Associes, Luxembourg
Presenter, "How to Avoid an All-Expenses-Paid Holiday to the Western District of Texas," sponsored by the Jersey Law Institute, St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands
Author, "The long arm of US import-export laws," Insurance Day