Anna Chuwen Dai
Anna Chuwen Dai is an Associate in the International Arbitration Group in Paris. Her practice includes international commercial and investment arbitration as well as public international law.
Prior to joining White & Case, Anna acquired experience in international law and dispute resolution at the Office of Legal Affairs of the United Nations New York Headquarters, the UNCITRAL secretariat in Vienna and a number of international law firms in China and France. She also worked on legislative issues at the United States Senate and served as a foreign law clerk at the Supreme Court of Israel.
Anna was trained in both civil law and common law jurisdictions. While reading law, she was an editor of the Harvard International Law Journal. She has been involved in the United Nations Volunteers Programme and assisted with a local governance support project in Central Asia.
Anna has managed and participated in pro bono matters in the area of public international law and human rights. She also serves as judge/arbitrator for Jessup International Moot Court competition, the International Criminal Court Moot Court Competition and the Vis Moot competition.
Anna's experience includes:
- Representing an African State in a dispute arising from an international fraud, bribery, and corruption scandal in multiple arbitration proceedings
- Representing an Asian oil company in a dispute related to one of the world's largest LNG projects (located in Asia-Pacific)
- Representing an international consortium on one of the world's largest infrastructure projects (located in Central America) in multiple arbitrations against a State-Owned entity
- Representing the Asian subsidiary of a European multinational gas company in a joint venture disputes concerning confidentiality and non-compete issues against its JV partner
- Represented the Asian subsidiary of a European multinational gas company in multiple arbitrations in relation to gas supply contract disputes
- Advised a European state-owned enterprise in an arbitration concerning hydro-electricity pricing
- Advised a South Asian investor in multi-jurisdictional enforcement and annulment proceedings of an investor-state arbitral award for an international duty-free retail group against an Eastern European State
- Represented a South-East Asian company in an arbitration relating to a manufacturing JV dispute
- Represented an Eastern European company in an arbitration against its supplier in connection with a sale and installation contract of various equipment in the agricultural industry
- Assisted a Middle Eastern gas supplier in an arbitration pertaining to a gas supply agreement dispute
- Assisted the president of the tribunal in an arbitration relating to a shareholder dispute in the commodity industry
- Assisted the counsel team in an ICJ case involving two Latin American States concerning obligation to negotiate access to the Pacific Ocean;* and
- Assisted the counsel team of an Eastern European State in ICSID annulment proceedings relating to an intra-EU BIT award.*
* Experience prior to joining White & Case.
Governing Law and Dispute Resolution in Petroleum Industry – China, forthcoming (with Michael Polkinghorne)
Protection from Arbitrary and Discriminatory Treatment, Jus Mundi Wiki Notes, 2020
Article 36: Grounds for refusing recognition or enforcement, UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration – A Commentary, Cambridge University Press, December 2019 (with Michael Polkinghorne, Tolu Obamuroh and Jack Biggs)
"The International Investment Agreement Network under the 'Belt and Road' Initiative", in J. Chaisse and J. Górski (ed.), The Belt and Road Initiative – Law, Economics, and Politics, Brill, September 2018
"The Reach of an Arbitration Clause – Observation on a Case concerning several Business Agreements in One Transaction", Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal, Volume 23, Part 2 (2012), pp. 138-141