Mr. Curran, a trial and appellate lawyer, is a partner in the Firm's Washington, DC office, where he heads the litigation practice. He has been repeatedly recognized as a leading litigator in Washington and nationwide. He has been designated in the very top echelon of "litigation stars" by one of the leading lawyer-ranking guides. In 2008, he was named as one of "the nation's top litigators" by The National Law Journal
. In 2009, he was selected by The Legal Times
as a "Visionary" of the DC Bar. In 2010 and again in 2012, one of his matters won the Financial Times
award for "most innovative" legal strategy for the year. In 2013, he was a finalist for the Global Competition Review
's Lawyer of the Year, was named a "Competition MVP" by Law 360
and was also named a "Litigator of the Week" by The American Lawyer
Mr. Curran represents domestic, foreign and sovereign clients in complex civil and criminal litigation at all levels in federal and state courts. He has won high-stakes verdicts and judgments in trial courts across the country, and he has argued appeals in the District of Columbia, Second, Third, Fourth, Ninth, Eleventh and Federal Circuits as well as in the United States Supreme Court. A significant part of his practice focuses on issues of international law and federal-government regulation, especially antitrust. In addition to handling trial and appellate litigation, he regularly represents clients in connection with government investigations, including grand jury proceedings.
Recent representative matters include:
- Lead counsel in successful defense of multi-billion dollar antitrust case, winning defense verdict after seven-week jury trial in Northern District of California.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of class-action antitrust case seeking billions of dollars in electronics industry; prevailed after six-week federal jury trial in Northern District of California, with client owing no damages.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of federal criminal antitrust case against corporate client in the shipping industry; prevailed after month-long trial in Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of a major antitrust action brought by US Federal Trade Commission against pharmaceutical manufacturers relating to settlement of patent litigation. After 40-day trial, won defense verdict. Also lead counsel on Eleventh Circuit appeal upholding trial verdict. Copycat private class actions still pending in Multi-District Litigation proceeding.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of various Asian rubber-thread manufacturers against criminal and civil allegations of price-fixing in violation of US antitrust laws. Succeeded in having no indictment brought after extended grand jury proceedings. Succeeded in defeating $100 million civil class action, winning jury verdict. Won affirmance of verdict in Fourth Circuit, setting important precedent on extraterritoriality of US antitrust laws.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of international shipping company in Multi-District Litigation actions alleging price fixing. Won landmark decision in Second Circuit compelling arbitration of claims. Later won landmark decision in US Supreme Court denying arbitration on class basis.
- Lead counsel defending against major antitrust action brought by US Department of Justice. In two-week trial, successfully refuted allegations of territorial allocation among competitors in paper industry.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of federal criminal action against individual charged with obstruction of justice; won jury acquittals on both substantive counts.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of importers of foreign-made steel products alleged to have violated US antitrust and trade laws. Successfully removed case from state court to federal court on pre-emption grounds, successfully defeated motions for TRO and for preliminary injunction, and won pre-trial dismissal of case.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of Republic of Costa Rica in $352 million federal antitrust action brought by cellular telephone company. Prevailed on motion to dismiss after limited discovery.
- Lead counsel for Libyan Government in resolving all US litigation against it through historic US-Libyan Claims Settlement Agreement in 2008.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of major Saudi bank alleged to have financially supported terrorism. Won pre-trial dismissal of $1 billion claim in Southern District of New York. Argued and won appeal in Second Circuit.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of major New York bank in private US federal civil action and in federal government and regulatory investigation related to misappropriated funds. Won civil action on merits, including award of $1.74 million in attorneys' fees, and obtained dismissal of regulatory investigation.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of Central Bank of Jordan in federal action brought by foreign banker. Prevailed on pre-discovery motion to dismiss. Also lead counsel on appeal in DC Circuit affirming dismissal.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of Republic of Kazakhstan in federal action arising from international commercial transaction. Retained after default judgment was entered and was being enforced; prevailed by having default judgment vacated, enforcement enjoined, and claim dismissed.
- Lead counsel in successful representation of Government of Vietnam in US federal action to determine current ownership of US assets that had been frozen upon the 1975 fall of Saigon. Won $3 million dollar judgment.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan in US federal action brought by Iraqi national alleging wrongful seizure of Jordanian bank; prevailed in district court and in DC Circuit.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of private-equity firm in NY state criminal investigation.
- Lead counsel representing major Japanese electronics company in connection with global criminal and civil proceedings related to alleged cartel activity.
- Lead counsel representing various corporations and executives in US and foreign cartel investigations.
Mr. Curran regularly represents clients before US federal government bodies as well as before the courts. Mr. Curran has represented clients in investigations conducted by, among others, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, the Department of Commerce, the Department of the Treasury, the Department of Defense, the International Trade Commission, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and Congressional committees. He is also experienced in representing foreign sovereigns and diplomats in their interactions with the Department of State with regard to issues of immunity.
Mr. Curran has substantial experience in the antibribery provisions of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. In dozens of FCPA matters over the last three decades, he has (i) advised clients on the propriety of proposed conduct and on responding to questionable conduct by employees, (ii) conducted internal investigations, and (iii) assisted companies in establishing practices and programs of compliance.
Mr. Curran also regularly advises clients on complying with the US Foreign Asset Control regulations and with the US antiboycott laws.
Mr. Curran served three three-year terms on the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit's Advisory Committee on Admissions and Grievances. He was chairman of the committee.
Bars and Courts
New York State Bar, 1986
District of Columbia Bar, 1987
US Supreme Court, 1992
US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 1991
US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1994
US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 2004
US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 1991
US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2004
US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1996
US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 2014
US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 1996
US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1996
US District Court for the District of Columbia, 1991
US District Court for the Southern District of New York, 1994
US District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 2008
US District Court for the District of Arizona, 1994
US District Court for the District of Maryland, 1996
US Court of Federal Claims, 1998
JD, University of Pennsylvania Law School, Associate Editor, University of Pennsylvania Law Review, 1985
BA, with distinction, University of Virginia, 1982