Daniel G. Dufner, Jr. is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group. He is resident in the New York office. Mr. Dufner has worked on a significant number of public and private M&A transactions in the United States, Europe and Australia. In addition to mergers and acquisitions, Mr. Dufner counsels clients on capital markets transactions, general corporate matters and corporate governance.
Dan has been recognized by the American Lawyer
as "Dealmaker of the Week" and "Dealmaker in the Spotlight" and is ranked by Chambers USA
and The Legal 500 US
Recent matters include the representation of:
- Blockbuster, the DVD and video game rental company, with respect to the administration of Blockbuster's business in the United Kingdom.
- WellPoint, Inc., one of the nation's largest health benefits companies, in its US$4.9 billion acquisition of Amerigroup Corporation, one of the country's leading managed care companies that is focused on meeting the health care needs of financially vulnerable Americans.
- WellPoint, Inc. in its acquisition of 1-800 CONTACTS, INC., a leading contact lens retailer, which was sold by private equity firm Fenway Partners.
- WellPoint, Inc. in its acquisition of CareMore Health Group, a leading Medicare Advantage and Senior clinical care provider, which was sold by private equity firm CCMP Capital Advisors.
- DISH Network Corporation in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets Blockbuster, Inc. in a court-approved auction under Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- WellPoint, Inc. in its US$4.7 billion sale of its pharmacy benefit management business to Express Scripts, Inc.
- EchoStar Corporation in the formation of a joint venture company, DISH Mexico, with Grupo MVS, S.A. de C.V. for the purposes of operating direct-to-home satellite television services to subscribers in Mexico. Teléfonos de México, S.A.B. de C.V. will provide billing, collection and distribution services to DISH Mexico.
- DISH Network Corporation (f/k/a EchoStar Communications Corporation) in its spin off of EchoStar Corporation.
- First Republic Bank in its US$1.8 billion merger with Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc.
- WellPoint, Inc. in its US$6.5 billion acquisition of WellChoice, the parent company of Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield.
- Anthem, Inc. in its US$16.4 billion acquisition of WellPoint Health Networks, Inc.
- DISH Network Corporation (f/k/a EchoStar Communications Corporation) in its attempted acquisition of Hughes Electronics from General Motors.
Bars and Courts
New York State Bar, 1996
JD, American University, Washington College of Law, summa cum laude, 1995
BA, University of Pennsylvania, 1992