Daniel G. Dufner, Jr. is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group and is resident in the New York office. Dan’s practice has focused on representing US public companies in a significant number of public and private M&A transactions, including numerous transactions for longstanding clients Dish Network Corp., EchoStar Corp. and WellPoint, Inc. Dan’s M&A practice has included US domestic transactions as well as cross-border transactions throughout Europe, Asia and Australia. In addition to mergers & acquisitions, Dan has counseled his clients on dispositions, leveraged buyouts, spin-offs, joint ventures, unsolicited/hostile transactions, takeover defenses, capital markets transactions, general corporate matters and corporate governance.
Dan is a leading member of our top-ranked US M&A practice which is currently ranked Band 1 for Corporate/M&A in both the latest Chambers USA
and the latest Legal500 guides which are the two leading independent law firm ranking publications.
Dan has also been recently recognized by the American Lawyer
as "Dealmaker of the Week" and "Dealmaker in the Spotlight" as well as being named in the Lawdragon 500
list of "Leading Lawyers in America."
Recent matters include the representation of:
- Anthem, Inc., one of the nation's largest health benefits companies, in its pending acquisition of Simply Healthcare Holdings, Inc., which, through its two subsidiaries, Simply Healthcare Plans, Inc. and Better Health, Inc., is a leading managed care company for people enrolled in Medicaid and Medicare programs in the State of Florida.
- EchoStar Corporation in its strategic transaction with DISH Network Corporation whereby EchoStar and its subsidiaries received five satellites along with related liabilities for in-orbit incentive payments to the manufacturers of certain of those satellites, and approximately US$11 million in cash from DISH Network in exchange for two issues of a newly-created preferred tracking stock that tracks the residential retail satellite business of Hughes Network Systems, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of EchoStar, and in its related long-term operating lease agreement for transponder services to DISH on the satellites to be received by EchoStar and its subsidiaries.
- Anthem, Inc. in its sale of 1-800 CONTACTS, INC., a leading contact lens retailer, to Thomas H. Lee Partners, its related sale of 1-800 CONTACTS'glasses.com business to Luxottica and its prior acquisition of 1-800 CONTACTS, which was sold by private equity firm Fenway Partners.
- DISH Network Corporation in its US$25.5 billion unsolicited proposal to acquire Sprint Nextel Corporation.
- Blockbuster, the DVD and video game rental company, with respect to the sale of its Mexican operations to an affiliate of Group Salinas and the administration of its business in the United Kingdom.
- Anthem, Inc. in its US$4.9 billion acquisition of Amerigroup Corporation, one of the country's leading managed care companies that is focused on meeting the health care needs of financially vulnerable Americans.
- Anthem, Inc. in its acquisition of CareMore Health Group, a leading Medicare Advantage and Senior clinical care provider, which was sold by private equity firm CCMP Capital Advisors.
- DISH Network Corporation in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets Blockbuster, Inc. in a court-approved auction under Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Anthem, Inc. in its US$4.7 billion sale of its pharmacy benefit management business to Express Scripts, Inc.
- EchoStar Corporation in the formation of a joint venture company, DISH Mexico, with Grupo MVS, S.A. de C.V. for the purposes of operating direct-to-home satellite television services to subscribers in Mexico. Teléfonos de México, S.A.B. de C.V. will provide billing, collection and distribution services to DISH Mexico.
- DISH Network Corporation (f/k/a EchoStar Communications Corporation) in its spin off of EchoStar Corporation.
- First Republic Bank in its US$1.8 billion merger with Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc.
- Anthem, Inc. in its US$6.5 billion acquisition of WellChoice, the parent company of Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield.
- Anthem, Inc. in its US$16.4 billion acquisition of WellPoint Health Networks, Inc.
- DISH Network Corporation (f/k/a EchoStar Communications Corporation) in its attempted acquisition of Hughes Electronics from General Motors.
Bars and Courts
New York State Bar, 1996
JD, American University, Washington College of Law, summa cum laude, 1995
BA, University of Pennsylvania, 1992
Co-author, "Hostile Takeover Bids And The Power Of 'Just Saying No,'" July 17, 2014, Law360
Panelist, "World Recognition of Distinguished General Counsel," The Directors Roundtable, Los Angeles, California (February 2014)