Eileen M. Cole is a member of the Firm's Litigation and Antitrust Groups in Washington, DC. Ms. Cole represents domestic and foreign clients in complex civil litigation in both federal and state courts. She has particular experience litigating antitrust disputes and representing clients in government criminal and civil investigations. Ms. Cole has worked extensively on cases involving civil and criminal fraud allegations, grand jury investigations, and internal investigations.
Most recently, Ms. Cole represented Stolt-Nielsen, an international parcel tanker shipping company, in numerous government antitrust investigations and private civil actions in multiple jurisdictions worldwide, including the United States, European Union, Canada, and Korea. Ms. Cole played a significant role in the Hearing on the Motion to Dismiss the Indictment brought against Stolt-Nielsen by the US Department of Justice Antitrust Division. After an extensive evidentiary hearing, the Court found that the company had not breached its Amnesty Agreement with the Division and dismissed the Indictment.
Other significant experience includes:
- Supervised extensive internal investigation of corporate compliance. Made recommendations and helped develop corporate compliance plan successfully implemented by client;
- Represented a foreign paper manufacturer in a preliminary injunction hearing brought by the US Department of Justice under US antitrust laws seeking to block the client’s acquisition of a US company;
- Represented an international financial institution and a European defeasance entity in civil and criminal proceedings relating to multi-billion dollar bank fraud allegations;
- Represented corporation in criminal investigation of Medicare and Medicaid fraud, successfully achieving a civil settlement; and
- Represented major telecommunications company in multi-million dollar commercial arbitrations.
Bars and Courts
New York State Bar, 1998
District of Columbia Bar, 2001
US District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2000
US District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 2000
JD, University of Virginia School of Law, 1997
BA, University of Virginia, High Distinction, 1994
Professional Associations and Memberships
New York Bar Association
Bar Association of the District of Columbia