Uniquely placed to advise, White & Case is widely recognized as a leading law firm for India-related cross-border legal services. With a dedicated team of experts based in Singapore, New York and London working in conjunction with our offices worldwide, White & Case's India practice represents multinational corporations, commercial and investment banks, private equity, alternative investment and sovereign funds, multilateral institutions and governmental entities from around the world pursuing opportunities in India. We also advise Indian companies in their international activities and investments outside of India and Indian financial institutions in their offshore lending activities.
We are at the forefront of cross-border M&A, private equity, project development and financing, capital markets, fund formation, debt restructuring, dispute resolution and general corporate advisory work relating to India.
Clients rely on our lawyers, who have considerable experience in cross-border matters involving India, to counsel and assist them on their most significant transactions and disputes.
Note that no US or English law firm, including White & Case, is authorized to practice law in India.
Our Unique Capabilities
- Global resources. We are a leading global law firm with lawyers in offices in key markets around the world. Our lawyers have decades of experience providing legal services to, and in, emerging markets, and vast experience in advising on multijurisdictional issues. Our commitment to India is substantial and we have been involved in cross-border matters relating to India for several decades.
- Deep and Focused India Team. We have a large and experienced team of lawyers who focus on India-related cross-border matters on a daily basis. The India team at White & Case has received numerous accolades and White & Case is ranked the #1 US law firm for India-related transactions by Asia-Pacific Legal 500 (2011).
- Highly effective project management of multijurisdictional deals. This brings clients speed of execution, reduced costs, quick responses and a commitment to ensuring issues are addressed on a timely basis.
- Innovation and a "get-the-deal-done" style. Our lawyers are familiar with the business environment and cultural nuances that are unique to India. We bring together our diverse experience, our innovative execution and structuring capabilities and our international best practices to help clients achieve their business objectives in the most effective way.
- Partner attention. Our Firm provides the level of partner involvement clients want and need on each matter.
Private Equity & M&A: We represent clients investing in India through control acquisitions, minority investments, joint ventures and the establishment of permanent presence. Our lawyers understand our clients’ global investment goals and have the experience to apply them to the quickly evolving investment landscape in India, from growth equity to highly structured transactions. We also advise Indian companies in their investments and mergers and acquisitions activities outside India.
- Representation of GMR Group in acquiring a 50 percent stake in Intergen N.V., a global power company with power plants in 5 countries. We also represented GMR Group in entering into a definitive agreement for the sale of its 50 percent stake in InterGen N.V. to an affiliate of China Huaneng Group, for US$1.232 billion. This transaction is the largest cross-border M&A transaction between India and China and has been named "Infrastructure Deal of the Year" by Indian Business Law Journal (2010).
- Representation of Lehman Brothers in the partial exit of its position in KSK Energy Ventures Limited, a leading Indian power developer, for approximately US$175 million.
- Representation of NDTV on the sale of a 26 percent stake in NDTV Networks to NBC Universal for US$150 million. This transaction was named "India M&A Deal of the Year" by Asian Legal Business (2009).
- Representation of KEC International Limited, India’s largest makers of electricity transmission towers, in its acquisition of SAE Towers Holdings, LLC for US$95 million.
Energy, Infrastructure, Project and Asset Finance: We regularly represent multilateral financial institutions, development finance institutions, developers, sponsors, international commercial and investment banks, Indian financial institutions and banks, export credit agencies, construction companies, transportation carriers and other participants in projects. White & Case is a recognized leader in leasing, asset-based financial structures and structured financial transactions around the world. The industry press consistently recognizes our Energy, Infrastructure and Project Finance (EIPF) Group as a market leader. More than 42 of our EIPF deals from 2007 to 2010 were named "deals of the year" by the industry press and White & Case has received Band 1 Ranking for Projects from Chambers Global 2010.
- Representation of the lending group, including Indian financial institutions, a large syndicate of non-Indian commercial banks and Overseas Private Investment Corporation, in the financing of both Phase I and II of the Dabhol power project in India.
- Representation of BNP Paribas, as structuring bank, and a syndicate of ten Indian lenders in the US$670 million financing of a chlor-alkali petrochemical facility in Port Said, Egypt developed by the Sanmar Group of India.
- Representation of Petronet LNG Ltd., the project company in the development, construction and financing of a US$600 million LNG receiving, storage and regasification facility at Dahej in the state of Gujarat, India.
Bank Finance and Restructuring: White & Case’s banking and finance capability is one of the world’s strongest. We take a multidisciplinary approach to bank finance and restructuring matters, with lawyers steeped in knowledge of the latest local and international techniques across banking, insolvency and litigation. White & Case was ranked Tier 1 for restructuring and insolvency among foreign law firms in Singapore by IFLR 1000 (2009) and ranked #1 most active in bankruptcies for 2006, 2007 and 2008 in The Deal’s end-of-year bankruptcy league tables.
- Representation of China Development Bank as lender in two US$350 Sinosure-backed senior secured term loans to the Aircel Group of India. This deal is the largest telecoms project financing in India and was nominated for IFLR/Asialaw India Awards 2010’s "Project Finance Deal of the Year" and was named Project Finance magazine's "Indian Telecoms Deal of the Year 2009."
- Representation of Deutsche Bank, as arranger, and DB Trustees (Hong Kong) Ltd. as trustee, in the financing of up to US$109 million for Ackruti City Limited. This transaction was named "Deal of the Year 2010" by India Business Law Journal and was nominated for "Infrastructure/Real Estate Deal of the Year" by IFLR/Asialaw India Awards 2010.
Investment Funds: White & Case has extensive experience assisting clients with structuring and formation of investment funds focused on India and other markets in Asia. In addition to providing structuring advice, we are experienced in preparing all related fund documentation, including offering memoranda and governing documents, and advise on all aspects of regulatory compliance and registration. White & Case was named the "Best Onshore Law Firm for Asset Management (including Japan) – Alternative Investments 2009" by AsianInvestor.
- Representation of Catalyst Capital and Samsara Capital in the launch of their Indian Real Estate Opportunities Fund.
- Representation of a leading Middle Eastern sovereign wealth fund in its investment in New York Life Investment Management India Fund II, LLC.
Capital Markets: We work in close cooperation with Indian firms to represent issuers, underwriters, placement agents, security holders, investors, corporate trustees and other participants on their debt, equity and derivative offerings around the world, including foreign currency convertible bonds (FCCBs) for Indian issuers. We also provide ongoing international securities law advice and assist companies with their reporting obligations and other issues arising under securities laws and exchange rules and regulations. Our Asia offices offer US, English, Hong Kong, Singaporean and Japanese law capability which, combined with our substantial presence in New York and London, is valuable to clients accessing global capital markets.
- Representation of DLF Ltd. in a US$2.25 billion initial public offering. This transaction was named "2007 IPO Deal of the Year" by India Business Law Journal 2008.
- Representation of Kotak Mahindra Capital Company Limited and Edelweiss Capital Limited, as international counsel, in Hindustan Media Ventures Limited’s initial public offering.
- Representation of NDTV in the issue of a US$100 million convertible bond by its indirect subsidiary, NDTV Networks plc.
Dispute Resolution: Our dispute resolution team handles arbitration proceedings (under the rules of all major international and regional arbitral institutions) and other modes of alternative dispute resolution including mediation, expert determination and adjudication. We advise clients from both common and civil law systems. In India, we work with local law firms to assist clients with their disputes, to the extent permitted. White & Case was named a top Global Arbitration Firm by Global Arbitration Review (2009), received top ranking for International Arbitration from International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration (2009) and was ranked Tier 1 for Arbitration (International): Asiawide by Chambers Asia (2009).
- Representation of a US investor in a UNCITRAL arbitration against an Indian joint venture partner relating to substantial real estate investments in India.
- Representation of 19 Indian companies who were respondents and counterclaimants in an ICC arbitration in Singapore, commenced by a European company.
- Representation of a US multinational company against an Indian industrial group in an ICC arbitration in Paris, legal proceedings in Delhi, and an AAA arbitration in the US.