White & Case has extensive experience in the structuring, development, documentation and negotiation of complex Islamic finance transactions. We regularly provide Islamic finance advice to clients in the Middle East, Europe and Asia. Our clients include conventional and Islamic commercial banks, development finance institutions, corporates, investment funds and sovereigns.
As well as advising on traditional Islamic bank and Sukuk financings, we also have experience working with Sharia scholars to develop innovative Islamic finance structures for corporates who do not want to use "tangible" assets as the basis of raising Islamic finance.
Our considerable experience in international project financing, our knowledge of Islamic financing structures and strong relationships with investment bankers and Sharia scholars place us in an excellent position to address and resolve the issues that arise in integrating Islamic finance facilities into the overall structures of large international multi-sourced project financings.
We also have expertise in Sharia-compliant asset, acquisition and real estate finance.
Ground breaking transactions
Lawyers in our global Islamic Finance group have worked on the following groundbreaking transactions:
- Largest private sector Islamic financing to date in Indonesia (AXIS Indonesia 2011)
- First international Islamic financing for a Russian financial institution (AK Bars Bank)
- First ever high-yield Sukuk in the GCC (Dar Al Arkan)
- First Islamic project financing in Oman (Sohar Smelter)
- First long-term Islamic project financing (Qatargas II)
- The then-largest Islamic project financing in Saudi Arabia (Petro-Rabigh)
- The then-largest Murabaha facility for Kuwaiti corporate (MTC's 2006 Facility)
- The innovative airtime sales facility in Saudi Arabia (Mobily)
- First Islamic PPP financing in Saudi Arabia (Hajj Terminal)
- First Sharia-compliant securitisation in the GCC (Nakheel Structured Receivables Financing)
- First Islamic project financing benefiting from political risk cover from MIGA (World Bank Group)