Our Italian practice is led by Italian, US and UK partners based in our Milan and London offices:
- Iacopo Canino
- Ferigo Foscari
- Michael S. Immordino
- Paola Leocani
- Paul Alexander
- Nicholas Lasagna
We offer clients, based in Italy or doing business in Italy, the benefit of our global experience, local knowledge and practical experience, implementing a local team integrated with our international capabilities and offices in order to deliver quality and innovative service.
We differentiate ourselves from other firms by offering a truly cross border offering to our clients. Virtually all of our transactions involve more than one office and our lawyers are comfortable dealing with the idiosyncrasies of such complex transactions. This is supported by extensive experience in Italian transactions and quality Italian law legal advice. We cover the full spectrum of capital markets services, M&A expertise and banking and finance advice.
Leadership in Debt and Equity Securities. Our US, English and Italian law securities team is unique in its offering and one of the largest in Italy.
- In the last three years we have worked on over 60 debt capital market transactions with a value of €86 billion plus and are a recognised market leader in high yield, Yankee bonds, Eurobonds, covenanted Eurobonds, Euro Private Placements, US Private Placements and EMTN offerings.
- In the last three years we have worked on over 15 equity capital market transactions for a value of €5.8 billion plus and are a recognised leader in IPOs, secondary offerings, equity linked bonds and block trade offerings.
We routinely represent issuers and investment banks. We are regularly ranked in the top tier of elite law firms in leading international and Italian legal directories and enjoy leading rankings in league tables.
Italian and Cross Border M&A. Our M&A practice is active representing Italian corporates in transactions in and outside Italy and European corporate and private equity firms in transactions in Italy. In the last three years we have worked on over 28 M&A transactions with a value of €15 billion plus. We are regularly ranked in the top tier in Corporate M&A in leading international and Italian legal directories and enjoy strong rankings in league tables.
Italian and International Bank Finance. Our Italian bank finance team provides an integrated Italian, English and US law bank finance practice of the highest quality. In the last three years we have worked on over 25 bank finance transactions for a value of €16 billion plus. We have extensive leveraged finance capability, delivering integrated bank/bond advice to underwriters and issuers, advising a wide range of non-bank investors and funds on all leveraged finance trends, including senior/bridge/bond commitments, private high yield and evolving intercreditor arrangements as well as on new financing originations, restructuring, refinancing, distressed acquisitions, non-performing loan portfolio acquisitions, private equity and special situations. We are regularly ranked in the top tier in bank finance in leading international and Italian legal directories.
Please click here for our recent press releases.
AWARDS AND RANKINGS
Debt Capital Markets
- IFLR 1000 2015: Band 1: Debt Capital Markets
- Chambers Europe / Global 2014: Band 2: Debt Capital Markets
- The Legal 500 2015: Band 2: Debt Capital Markets
- TopLegal 2013: Band 1: Debt Capital Markets
- Thomson Reuters 2014: no. 1 Italian Legal Advisor to issuers by volume in Debt Capital Markets
- Thomson Reuters 2014: no. 1 Italian Legal Advisor to managers by value in Debt Capital Markets
- Thomson Reuters 2014: no. 2 Italian Legal Advisor to issuers by value in Debt Capital Markets
- Bloomberg 2014: no. 2 Italian Legal Advisor by value in Debt Capital Markets
Equity Capital Markets
- TopLegal* Awards 2014: Equity Capital Markets Law Firm of the Year in Italy (*main Italian legal trade publication)
- TopLegal 2013: Band 1: Equity Capital Markets
- Chambers Europe / Global 2014: Band 2: Equity Capital Markets
- The Legal 500 2015: Band 2: Equity Capital Markets
- IFLR 1000 2015: Band 2: Equity Capital Markets
- Thomson Reuters 2014: no. 2 Italian Legal Advisor to managers by volume in Equity Capital Markets
- Thomson Reuters 2014: no. 2 Italian Legal Advisor to managers by value in Equity Capital Markets
- Bloomberg 2014: no. 2 Italian Legal Advisor to managers by value in Equity Capital Markets
- IFLR1000 2015: Band 3: Merger & Acquisitions
- Bloomberg 2013: Band 4: Italian targets deals
- Mergermarket 2014: Band 5: Legal Advisor by value in M&A
- Chambers Europe / Global 2014: Band 3: Banking & Finance
- The Legal 500 2015: Band 3: Banking & Finance
- IFLR 1000 2015: Band 3: Banking & Finance
- TopLegal 2013: Band 3: Banking & Finance
Debt Capital Markets
- GTECH’s US$5 billion senior secured notes issue (2015)
Advised GTECH S.p.A. on its issuance of a series of senior secured notes denominated in US$3.2 billion and €1.6 billion equivalent in aggregate to approximately US$5 billion.
- Intesa Sanpaolo’s US$ funding program and Yankee bond issuances under the Programme (2014)
Advised Italian banking group Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A. on the annual update of its US$25 billion funding program. He also represented Intesa Sanpaolo on several Yankee bonds issued under its Medium Term Note programme. These included a US$2 billion 5.017 percent Tier 2 subordinated Yankee bond due 2024; a US$2.5 billion issuance of two Yankee bonds, which was awarded “Best US dollar senior financial institution transaction in 2014” by Global Capital; anda US$1.25 billion 3.875 percent issuance of Yankee bonds due 2018, which won the Euroweek annual award for US dollar senior financial institution issuance in 2013.
- Eni’s €1 billion bond issue (2015) and €15 billion EMTN programme (2014)
Advised Eni S.p.A. on its €1 billion, 1.5 percent notes due 2026 issued under its Euro Medium Term Note Programme and offered to institutional investors.
- Officine Maccaferri's €200 million high yield bond issue (2014)
Advised Credit Suisse, Banca IMI, BNP Paribas and UniCredit as Joint Bookrunners in connection with Officine Maccaferri's high yield offering of €200 million, 5.75% Notes due 2021.
- Piaggio €250 million high yield bond issue (2014)
Advised Piaggio & C. S.p.A. on all US, UK and Italian aspects of its high yield offering of €250 million, 4.625 percent Senior Unsecured Notes due 2021, including the related exchange offer for 7 percent Senior Notes due 2016.
- ADR – Aeroporti di Roma €600 million Eurobond (2014) and €1.5 billion EMTN programme
Advised ADR – Aeroporti di Roma S.p.A. on the establishment of its €1.5 billion EMTN programme and inaugural issuance of €600 million 3.250 percent Senior Unsecured Notes and the dealers on the subsequent update of the programme.
Equity Capital Markets
- Banca Popolare di Milano €500 million rights issue (2014)
Advised Underwriters Barclays, Citi, Deutsche Bank, JP Morgan and Mediobanca on the €500 million rights issue of Banca Popolare di Milano.
- Salini Impreglio €513.3 million secondary offering (2014)
Advised Salini Impreglio S.p.A. as issuer and Salini Costruttori S.p.A. as selling shareholder on a placement of €513.3 million of Salini Impregilo S.p.A.’s shares to institutional investors.
- Atlantia S.p.A. €857 million cross-border private acquisition (2012)
Advised Atlantia S.p.A. on a €857 million sale of a 49.99% stake in Grupo Costanera to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board.
- De Longhi S.p.A. €214 million cross-border private acquisition (2012)
Advised De’ Longhi S.p.A. on its perpetual licensing of the Braun brand and acquisition of certain assets from the Procter & Gamble Company in a deal worth up to €214 million.
- Enel €9.44 billion forward start revolving facilities (2013)
Advised a syndicate of banks including Mediobanca as facility agent, lender, bookrunner and mandated lead arranger, on the granting to Enel S.p.A. and its subsidiary Enel Finance International N.V. of forward start revolving facilities for a total maximum amount equal to €9.44 billion, pursuant to an English law facility agreement, one of the largest “jumbo” facilities of 2013 on the European market.
As the Firm continues to invest in our Italian Practice we are looking to recruit Italian speaking US qualified lawyers (2-5 years PQE) and English speaking Italian lawyers (trainee to 3-5 years PQE) across the Capital Markets, Corporate and M&A practices. We are also interested in hearing from Italian qualified Bank Finance lawyers.
All applicants should possess the ability to develop and strengthen strong client relationships, be team players and look forward to the prospect of being part of a team that expects and encourages business development from an early stage.
to send your CV.
For your convenience, we have provided directions to our office below.