Rebecca H. Farrington is a member of the Firm's Global Antitrust/Competition Practice. Ms. Farrington's areas of focus include government merger and nonmerger investigations, private antitrust litigation, and counseling clients on antitrust issues. Ms. Farrington also has significant experience counseling clients on the premerger notification filing requirements and related antitrust issues of the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976 (HSR Act).
Ms. Farrington's experience includes:
HSR Act Compliance
- Defending proposed and consummated mergers before the Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice in a variety of industries, including hospitals, food products, airlines, petroleum, coal, broadcasting, gaming, software, hardware, industrial products, energy and retail sales;
- Defending nonmerger investigations, including investigations of alleged market allocation and violations of Section 8 of the Clayton Act; and
- Advocating for government intervention on behalf of parties adversely impacted by proposed mergers or by anticompetitive conduct.
- Advising on HSR Act and other global premerger notification requirements in connection with proposed transactions and preparing premerger notification filings;
- Negotiating antitrust provisions in transaction agreements;
- Developing client HSR Act training programs and compliance procedures; and
- Representing clients in "failure to file" situations.
- Advising on critical antitrust risk issues for business initiatives such as joint ventures, pricing and distribution strategies, information and data-sharing and trade association and industry-wide collaborative efforts;
- Conducting antitrust compliance audits, analyzing liability exposure and recommending corrective action;
- Creating and presenting in-house training programs for client legal departments and business units; and
- Developing and implementing corporate antitrust compliance policies and online antitrust compliance training programs.
- Defending allegations of price-fixing, bid-rigging and group boycotts in federal and state courts in a variety of industries, including construction materials, insurance, financial services and transportation.
Bars and Courts
District of Columbia Bar
US District Court for the Northern District of California
US District Court for the District of Columbia
US Supreme Court
JD, University of California, Berkeley School of Law, Member, Moot Court Board; Managing Editor, Berkeley Journal of Employment and Labor Law, 1997
BA, University of California, Los Angeles, magna cum laude, College of Letters and Science Honors Graduate, 1992
Professional Associations and Memberships
American Bar Association, Antitrust Section (Vice Chair, Joint Conduct Committee, 2008-2010)
Co-Editorial Chair, Handbook on Interlocking Directorates, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 2011
Co-Author, "Omnicare: Seventh Circuit Gives Judicial Guidance on Premerger Information Exchanges," The Antitrust Source, June 2011
Co-Author, "Private Antitrust Remedies in the U.S.," PLC Cross-border Competition Handbook, 2009
"Exclusive Technology Licenses and their Hart-Scott-Rodino Act Implications," Worldwide Merger Notification Requirements, Apsen Publishing, December 2008
Contributor - Antitrust Law Developments, ABA Section of Antitrust Law (6th ed. 2007)
"Multijurisdictional Merger Control," Global Counsel Handbook, 2004
"Corporate Mergers and Acquisitions: Hart-Scott-Rodino Update," ALI-ABA, 2001