Tomasz Chmal’s practice concentrates on oil and gas and mining and metals. He has advised investors, project sponsors and lenders on acquisitions, disposals and restructuring of energy assets. He frequently deals with regulatory bodies in charge of oil and gas upstream and downstream as well as renewables. He advises in energy and coal contracts.
Tomasz Chmal advised in number of disputes between power plants and grid companies, grid companies and large energy customers as well as energy companies and regulatory bodies.
His experience includes, amongst others:
- representing several international oil corporations in major legal issues related to the prospecting and exploration of shale gas in Poland. Advice included the concession process, obtaining permits, farm-out, and other issues;
- representing a few major US technology providers in their seismic and drilling activity in Poland. Advice included regulatory issues as well as contracting;
- advising a major Polish oil and gas company in various matters related to natural gas import contracts, disputes, and EU gas regulations;
- representing a major Finnish oil company in biofuel regulatory issues;
- advising a major Polish oil company on exploration of the Baltic Sea shelf and Norwegian shelf. Acquisition of oil and gas concession blocks on the Baltic Sea and in Lithuania;
- advising a major Polish refinery in a significant acquisition of assets in Lithuania;
- advising a project company in the development of a 460 MW lignite-fired generation facility in central Poland;
- providing advice to international financial institutions in connection with the project financing of the construction and operation of a 400 MW gas fired combined heat and power unit in southern Poland;
- advising a project company, equity investor and banks in the development and/or financing of 8 wind farm projects in Poland;
- providing advice to French and Czech power companies in restructuring of their assets in Poland. Advice included regulatory issues as well as contracting;
- advising French and Swedish power companies in energy regulatory issues as well as energy trade;
- providing advice to Finnish and Swedish power companies in heat and power plants privatization in Poland;
- providing advice to a major steel producer in the privatization of four Polish steel works;
- representing a major electricity distribution company in a number of litigations before regulatory bodies and courts in its dispute with a major industrial power customer;
- advising the largest copper producer in Europe in copper and silver trading contracts all over the world;
- advising Polish hard coal producers and a coke producer in regulatory issues related to an initial public offering on the Warsaw Stock Exchange.
Tomasz Chmal is also an energy advisor at the independent Polish think-tank Sobieski Institute and a frequent speaker at conferences and media events.
For the last several years, prestigious rankings such as Chambers Europe
and Legal 500 EMEA
have recommended Tomasz in the category of Energy & Natural Resources.
Bars and Courts
Advocate, Regional Bar Chamber in Warsaw, 2005
Postgraduate Studies on Management & Development of Energy Market, Warsaw School of Economics, 2002
Postgraduate Studies on Business Strategy and Planning, University of Economics, Poznań, 2001
Master's Degree, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Faculty of Law and Administration, 1999
Boeing Co. scholarship, Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington DC, USA, 1998