Ms. Valdez is a member in the Firm's Structured Finance and Derivatives Practice Group. Ms. Valdez has experience representing investment banks, corporations, private equity firms and asset managers in derivatives transactions, including fixed-income derivatives, foreign exchange transactions, total return swaps and commodity transactions, as well as repurchase transactions. She also represents dealers and end-users in connection with legal and regulatory matters in related derivatives transactions.
Relevant experience includes:
- Representation of major commercial and investment banks, in connection with the creation of derivative platforms for fixed-income derivatives and general representation in relation to such derivative platforms.
- Representation of private equity firms and funds in connection with fixed-income and credit derivatives transactions.
- Representation of various energy and gas companies in connection with hedging documentation in commodity transactions including emission allowances, power and fuel.
- Representation of a foreign financial institution in connection with joining ICE for purposes of clearing and trading.
- Representation of financial institutions in connection with hedging and credit enhancement transactions and risk management structures involving derivatives, including total return swaps, credit default swaps and forward delivery agreements.
- Representation of foreign financial institutions in Latin America in connection with the execution of derivatives transactions with various dealers in respect of the bank's various foreign exchange transactions and currency options and swaps with other dealers.
- Representation of commercial and investment banks in connection with termination and settlement as well as collateral obligations of various derivatives transactions in respect of the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy.
- Counsel to investment manager in connection with collateralized debt obligations including cash flow and market value transactions; work involved structuring and negotiating transactions as well as advising on securities regulatory issues.
Bars and Courts
New York State Bar, 2005
JD, Columbia University School of Law, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, 2005
BA, Emory University, magna cum laude, 2000
Professional Associations and Memberships
American Bar Association, Derivatives and Futures Law Committee
New York City Bar Association
Hispanic National Bar Association
Co-author, "Final exemptive order regarding cross-border application of certain swap regulations," Lexology, August 22, 2013
Co-author, "CFTC approves final interpretative guidance with respect to the cross-border application of certain swap provisions of the Commodity Exchange Act," Lexology, August 21, 2013
Co-author, "ISDA August 2012 Dodd-Frank Protocol," Lexology, October 26, 2012
Co-author, "CFTC and SEC Publish Rules Defining Entities That Will Be Classified as Dealers, Major Participants in Derivatives Market," Bloomberg BNA: Securities Regulation & Law Report, Volume 44, Number 24, June 11, 2012
Co-author, "Swap Dealers, Major Swap Participants & Eligible Contract Participant," Derivatives Week: The Learning Curve, Volume XXI, Number 20, May 21, 2012
Co-author, "Lehman Bankruptcy Court Denies Contractual Right to Triangular Setoff," The Journal on the Law of Investment & Risk Management Products: Futures & Derivatives Law, Volume 32, Issue 2, February 2012
Contributor, International Swaps & Derivatives Association, Inc., ISDA Collateral Committee, Market Review of OTC Bilateral Collateralization Practices, March 2010
Hispanic National Bar Association Mid-Year Conference, 2010, New Orleans, LA "The New Derivatives Regulatory Regime"