George Cyriac is a Counsel in the Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity practice group, based in Singapore since 2009. George is also a member of the firm's India practice group and is admitted to practice in both New York and India.
George represents private equity firms, alternative investment funds, sovereign wealth funds, corporate strategic investors, and investment and commercial banks on a variety of cross-border transactions. He also has extensive experience in various jurisdictions in Asia, particularly in India and Indonesia.
George was previously based in White & Case's New York office and has also worked for a major international law firm in New York and for a major Indian law firm in Mumbai.
Examples of George's experience include advising on the following matters as international counsel:
- Private equity investor and real estate manager, The Redwood Group, on its strategic partnership with Equity International, the privately held investment partner of leading real estate companies outside of the United States, for the expansion of Redwood’s warehouse and distribution property platform.
- GMR Infrastructure Ltd. (GMR), an infrastructure company based in India, on its sale of a 70% stake in GMR Energy (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. (GMRE), to FPM Power Holdings Limited, a joint venture between First Pacific Company Limited and Meralco PowerGen Corporation (a subsidiary of Manila Electric Company, the Philippines's biggest power distributor) for a consideration of approximately S$600 million. GMRE is developing an 800MW combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) power plant on Jurong Island, Singapore.
- An oil and gas company in the restructuring of approximately US$1 billion of debt owed to it by a petrochemical company in Indonesia.
- CLSA Clean Resources Asia Growth Fund in its investment in Earth Water Group, a water treatment and solutions company in India.
- PT Bakrie Sumatera Plantations Tbk., a leading crude palm oil producer in Indonesia, in the acquisition of the oleochemical companies and certain plantations companies of the Domba Mas Group for a consideration of approximately US$238 million. The transaction also involved the restructuring and refinancing of the existing debt of the acquired companies.
- Temasek Holdings (Private) Ltd. in a Series B investment in SecondMarket Holdings, Inc. through the subscription to preferred stock and a secondary acquisition of common stock from an existing shareholder. SecondMarket Holdings, Inc. owns a registered broker dealer in the US with an online platform for trading illiquid assets.
Bars and Courts
New York State Bar, 2005
Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa, India, 1999
LLM, Columbia Law School, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, 2004
BA/LLB (Hons.), National Law School of India University, 1998