Jonathan Olier is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity practice group, based in Singapore.
Jonathan has significant experience of working on large complex cross border transactions including public M&A, schemes of arrangement, private equity buy outs, restructurings and joint ventures. Jonathan has worked in London, Paris, Dubai and Abu Dhabi (where he set up an office of one of the magic circle law firms). Jonathan has advised multinational companies, private equity funds, state owned companies and sovereign wealth. He has been based in Singapore since 2010.
Some of his recent experience includes advising, as international counsel, on the following transactions:
- GMR Infrastructure (Singapore) Pte. Limited on the sale of a 70 percent stake in GMR Energy (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. to a joint venture between First Pacific Limited and Meralco PowerGen Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Manila Electric Company including the release of GMR of its obligations as a sponsor under the project financing undertaken by GMR Energy (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.
- Clariant, the Swiss-based specialty chemicals company, on the establishment of a 50-50 joint venture with Wilmar, a leading listed agribusiness group headquartered in Singapore.
- Nestlé Health Science S.A., a fully owned subsidiary of Nestlé S.A., on a 50/50 joint venture with Chi-Med group, a pharmaceutical and healthcare group based in China and listed on the London Alternative Investment Market. The joint venture, to be named Nutrition Science Partners, will research, develop, manufacture and market innovative nutritional and medicinal products derived from botanical plants, and will give Nestlé Health Science access to one of the world's leading traditional Chinese medicine libraries, consisting of more than 50,000 extracts from over 1,200 different herbal plants.
- Nestlé SA on its S$2.1 billion acquisition of a 60 percent interest in Hsu Fu Chi, a Chinese candy maker with its main operations in the People's Republic of China and listed in Singapore, and a related joint venture with the founding family (this was the first time ever that a Cayman law scheme of arrangement was used to privatize an SGX listed company). The transaction involved negotiating a related joint venture agreement and other ancillary documents. Awarded 'Singapore M&A Deal of the Year', Asian Legal Business SE Asia Law Awards (2012).
- GMR on its sale of a 30% interest in GMR Energy (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. (the Jurong Gas Power Plant) to Petronas who also became a co-sponsor in the S$1 billion project financing. The transaction involved negotiating a related joint venture agreement.
- A leading Indonesian conglomerate on a US$400 million + 50/50 joint venture in the agribusiness sector with a global commodities trading company.
- China Resources Enterprise Ltd on the acquisition of significant brewery assets in South East Asia.
- A global insurance company on a proposed acquisition of a life insurance company in Indonesia.
- A leading Indonesian conglomerate on the acquisition of a 5 star hotel in Jakarta from a group of Middle Eastern investors.
- Raiffeisen Zentralbank Österreich AG (RZB) in its subscription, through a BVI SPV, to US$200 million of equity shares issued by PT Bumi Resources Tbk (Bumi), as part of Bumi's US$360 million non-preemptive private placement.
- A leading Indonesian conglomerate on a proposed bid for Apexindo and a related restructuring of its debt (aborted).
- Praxair Inc. on the joint simultaneous acquisition of two industrial companies in Kuwait and the UAE.
- International Petroleum Investment Company, an investment company owned by the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, on the US$500 million acquisition of Nova Chemicals Inc., a Canadian petrochemical company.
- Aabar Investments PJSC, an investment company owned by the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, on the US$300 million acquisition of AIG Private Bank AG, a Swiss private bank.
- Istithmar on its joint venture in the Beach Road real estate project in Singapore.
- The Abu Dhabi Group, an investment company owned by Abu Dhabi investors on the US$300 million investment of Bharti Airtel in Warid Telecom Bangladesh.
- Dubai World on the concession of the Dubai drydocks.
- Kraft Foods Inc on the €3 billion acquisition of the Biscuit branch from Danone.
- Macquarie consortium on the privatization of the French motorways (deal value: €5 billion).
- Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank on the Eurotunnel group restructuring which won the IFLR Restructuring Deal of the Year award in 2007 (deal value: €8 billion).
- Air France on the sale of its stake in Amadeus and its reinvestment in the acquisition vehicle alongside Cinven and BC Partner (deal value: €5 billion).
Jonathan is also responsible for delivering a pan Asia corporate training program to the White & Case offices in Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai and Beijing.
Jonathan is a member of the International Committee of The Law Society of Singapore.
Bars and Courts
Solicitor, England and Wales, 2000
Avocat, France, 1999
College of Law, Chancery Lane
Université de Paris II
Université d'Aix-Marseille III