Jonathan Olier is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice group, based in Singapore.
Jonathan has significant experience of working on large complex cross border transactions including public M&A, schemes of arrangement, private equity buy outs, restructurings and joint ventures. Jonathan has worked in London, Paris, Dubai and Abu Dhabi (where he set up an office of one of the magic circle law firms). Jonathan has advised multinational companies, private equity funds, state owned companies and sovereign wealth funds. He has been based in Singapore since 2010.
Examples of Jonathan's experience include advising on the following matters, as international counsel:
- GMR Group, an Indian infrastructure enterprise, in the sale of its entire 40 percent equity stake in Istanbul Sabiha Gökçen (ISG) airport to Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad, a Malaysian airport operator (being one of the three existing joint venture partners in ISG together with GMR), for €225 million.
- Private equity investor and real estate manager, The Redwood Group, on its strategic partnership with Equity International, the privately held investment partner of leading real estate companies outside of the United States, for the expansion of Redwood's warehouse and distribution property platform.
- Clariant, the Switzerland-based specialty chemicals company, in the establishment of a 50:50 joint venture with Wilmar, a leading listed agribusiness group headquartered in Singapore, to serve as a global platform for the production and distribution of amines and selected amine derivatives worldwide.
- GMR Infrastructure Ltd. (GMR), an infrastructure company based in India, on its sale of a 70% stake in GMR Energy (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. (GMRE), to FPM Power Holdings Limited, a joint venture between First Pacific Company Limited and Meralco PowerGen Corporation (a subsidiary of Manila Electric Company, the Philippines'biggest power distributor) for a consideration of approximately S$600 million. GMRE is developing an 800MW combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) power plant on Jurong Island, Singapore.
- Warid Telecom International LLC in the sale of 30% interest in Airtel Bangladesh to Bharti Airtel.
- Nestle SA in its S$2.1 billion acquisition of 60 percent of Singapore listed Hsu Fu Chi, a leading manufacturer and distributor of confectionary products in China, and on its joint venture with the Hsu family who will retain a 40 percent interest in Hsu Fu Chi. This matter was named "Deal of the Year 2011" by China Business Law Journal and "Deal of the Year 2012" by Asian-Mena Counsel, "Singapore M&A Deal of the Year", Asian Legal Business SE Asia Law Awards (2012).
Jonathan is also responsible for delivering a pan Asia corporate training program to the White & Case offices in Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Shanghai and Beijing. Jonathan is a member of the International Committee of The Law Society of Singapore.
Bars and Courts
Solicitor, England and Wales, 2000
Avocat, France, 1999
College of Law, Chancery Lane
Université de Paris II
Université d'Aix-Marseille III
Awards and Recognition
Ranked as "Up and Coming" for Corporate/M&A: International - Singapore by Chambers Asia Pacific and Chambers Global (2013)
Recipient of 2012 White & Case Pro Bono Award
"Navigating India: Lessons for Foreign Investors
," White & Case Insight, November 2014 (co-author, with colleagues George Cyriac, Nandan Nelivigi, Aloke Ray and Dipen Sabharwal).
Co-author of "Myanmar Issues Foreign Investment Law Implementing Regulations", Bloomberg Tax Planning International, Asia-Pacific Focus
, April 2013 (with colleagues from White & Case; Mae Shan Chong, Barrye Wall and Kartick Maheshwari).