Mae Shan Chong is a Local Partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice group, based in Singapore since 2011.
Mae advises corporate and private equity clients as well as investment banks and hedge funds on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, buy-outs and corporate reorganisations.
Prior to joining White & Case, Mae worked for leading law firms in London, Singapore and Malaysia.
Examples of Mae's experience include advising on the following matters as international counsel or Singapore counsel:
- A European private equity fund in its co-investment with a Malaysian private equity fund in an Indonesia company.
- CLSA Clean Resources Asia Growth Fund in its investment in a fast growing water treatment and solutions company in China.
- CHAMP Private Equity Pte. Ltd. in its acquisition of a 33.2 percent stake in Miclyn Express Offshore Ltd, an Australian Stock Exchange-listed service provider to the offshore oil and gas industry across South-East Asia, Australia and the Middle East. This transaction marks CHAMP's first investment into the South-East Asia region.
- PT Pertamina (Persero), the national oil company of Indonesia, in its proposed US$725 million acquisition of the Venezuelan oil assets of Harvest Natural Resources Inc., a New York Stock Exchange listed company.
- The owners of the Pacific Plas Group of Companies in connection with the restructuring of their interests in a number of jurisdictions and the subsequent investment by Hong Kong based private equity fund AIF Capital. Pacific Plas Group manufactures and distributes resin, rigid plastics, consumer packaging and ink formulation in Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia and China.
- EDBI Pte Ltd, the corporate investment arm of Singapore's Economic Development Board, in a Series D investment in Sotera Wireless Inc. through the subscription to preferred stock. Sotera Wireless Inc. is a biomedical technology development company based in the Silicon Valley, California.
Bars and Courts
England and Wales, 2003
Singapore Bar, 2001
Malaysian Bar, 1997
Barrister-at-law (Middle Temple), 1996
Masters in Finance, London Business School, 2004
MA, Cambridge University, 1999
BA, Cambridge University, 1995
Awards and Recognition
Ranked as "Up and Coming" for Singapore – Corporate/M&A: International by Chambers Asia Pacific (2014)
Named as a "Rising Star" for Singapore – Mergers & Acquisitions – Foreign Firms by IFLR1000 (2014)
Co-author of "Myanmar Issues Foreign Investment Law Implementing Regulations," Bloomberg Tax Planning International, Asia-Pacific Focus, April 2013 (with colleagues from White & Case; Jonathan Olier, Barrye Wall and Kartick Maheshwari).