Kirsti Massie is a partner in our Energy Infrastructure, Project and Asset Finance Group in London. Kirsti specialises in energy projects, with particular expertise in power (both traditional thermal generation and renewable technologies).
Much of Kirsti's experience has been gained in-house working in large international energy companies. Her experience includes advising project sponsors, developers and financial institutions on all aspects of project development for both new build and existing energy projects in various jurisdictions around the world. Kirsti has experience of fuel supply arrangements, power offtake arrangements, tolling agreements, energy and emissions trading, capacity arrangements for interconnectors and transborder gas pipelines. Kirsti also has considerable experience in the field of renewable projects including wind farm and biomass developments. Kirsti’s experience extends to the UK, Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
Representative Experience includes:
- Advising Landsvirkjun in connection with its proposed landmark US$ multi billion interconnector from Iceland to the UK;
- Advising STAR capital and Eurotunnel in respect of a proposed 1000MW DC power interconnector between the UK and France (Eleclink);
- Advising the lenders in respect of the commercial trading and other project arrangements for the Gebze Power Plant in Turkey;
- Advising the project sponsor in respect of offtake arrangements for a new build wind farm in Romania;
- Advising lenders in respect of two solar farms in the UK including providing advice with respect to the UK Feed In Tariff mechanism;
- Advising the lenders on the financing of the US$2.2 billion Riyadh PP11 independent power project in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (including financing by way of commercial loans, Islamic financing instruments and export credit from US-Exim);
- Advising Nord Stream AG in connection with the financing of the US$9 billion Nord Stream gas pipeline through the Baltic Sea (2009 European Gas Deal of the Year by Project Finance Magazine);
- Representation of the Lenders on 1200 MW Rabigh IPP project in Saudi Arabia (2009 Middle Eastern Power Deal of the Year by PFI and Euromoney);
- Advising International Power plc in respect of its acquisition and disposal of a shareholding in a gas-fired power project in Belgium;
- Advising Eskom in respect of its Base Load IPP Programme in South Africa;
- Advising lender group in respect of the financing of a 750MW CCGT in Azerbaijan;
- Advising lender group in respect of nuclear liabilities position in connection with EdF's acquisition of British Energy's nuclear assets;
- Advising a major utility in respect of the acquisition of a portfolio of power generating assets in the UK;
- Advising a trading company in respect of an ERPA for the acquisition of emission reduction certificates generated by a JI Project in Russia;
- Advising Enerjisa on certain financial and energy trading arrangement issues in respect of a diverse asset portfolio (including hydro plant) in Turkey;
- Advising Trianel in respect of long term coal supply arrangements in Germany;
- Representation of a renewable generator in the portfolio financing of a variety of wind farm assets and development sites in the UK;
- Advising InterGen in respect of a tolling agreement for Rijnmond II gas-fired plant in the Netherlands;
- Advising International Power plc in respect of various master agreements for the trading of various energy commodities (including power, gas, carbon, sulphur, coal and renewable obligation certificates) in the UK and Europe;
- Advising Scottish Power on the provisions of an Emission Reduction Purchase Agreement and associated credit support arrangements;
- Advising Scottish Power on the acquisition of a CHP plant and associate power and steam offtake arrangements;
- Representation of project sponsor of new build biomass project in negotiation and agreement of power offtake agreements and biomass supply arrangements;
- Undertaking detailed due diligence for the purchaser of 100% equity in a portfolio project finance infrastructure project;
- Advising Rugeley Power Limited on debt re-structuring and tolling agreement provisions for 1000 MW coal-fired Rugeley power station;
- Advising International Power plc in relation to the establishment of its UK energy trading business.
Bars and Courts
England and Wales, 1995
Post Graduate Diploma in EU Competition Law, King’s College London, 1998
Guildford College of Law, Law Society Finals (First Class Honours), 1992
BA, (Hons), Pembroke College, University of Cambridge, 1991
"New EU regulation offers LNG Market Benefits," LNG Review 2010
"International Frameworks for Carbon Capture and Storage," 7th Doha Natural Gas Conference and Exhibition, Doha, Qatar, March 2009.
"Gas Trading and Derivatives — The UK Experience," Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Buenos Aires, 2007.
"Are You Ready, Willing and Able?" Emissions Trading Conference, London, 2006.