Matthias Kiesewetter is a Local Partner in the German Mergers and Acquisitions/ Private Equity practice of White & Case. His principal areas of practice are public and private M&A transactions. Matthias Kiesewetter also advises listed companies on the entire range of capital markets law.
From October 2013 until April 2014 Matthias Kiesewetter was seconded to the in-house M&A team of a DAX-30 Company in Essen. In 2008, he was seconded to the in-house M&A/ECM team of a leading investment bank. Prior to joining White & Case in 2006, Matthias Kiesewetter worked as a trainee lawyer for an international law firm in London and for the Takeover Panel of the German Federal Financial Supervisory Authority (Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht, BaFin).
- Advising Deutsche Bank AG on the acquisition of Exchanging Transaction Bank GmbH from Xchanging plc.
- Advising a bank consortium on the financing of the - lapsed - public takeover of Rhön-Klinikum AG by Fresenius SE.
- Advising Motion Equity Partners on the divesture of ixetic group to Magna International Inc.
- Advising Feintool AG, a listed Swiss technology company, on the acquisition of Herzing+Schroth group.
- Advising Clariant AG on the public takeover of Süd-Chemie AG from One Equity Partners and numerous family shareholders.
- Advising QSC AG on its public takeover of INFO AG.
- Advising SiC Processing on the sale of a majority stake in the company to Nordic Capital Fund VII by way of a dual track sales process.
- Advising Jenoptik AG inter alia on the divesture of Jena-Optronik GmbH to EADS group company Astrium GmbH.
- Advising the Herz brothers on the capital increase of ESCADA AG in 2008 as well as on the company’s restructuring in 2009.
- Advising Berliner Effektengesellschaft on the joint venture of its subsidiary Tradegate Exchange GmbH, a German securities trading bank, with Deutsche Börse AG.
Bars and Courts
Second State Exam, Higher Regional Court of Schleswig-Holstein, 2006
Dr jur, University of Hamburg, 2006
First State Exam, University of Hamburg, 2002
LLM, University of Hull, 2000
Professional Associations and Memberships
Alumni Konrad Adenauer Foundation
Awards and Recognition
Konrad Adenauer Scholar
Highly Recommended Lawyer:
M&A, kanzleimonitor 2013/2014
Capital Markets, kanzleimonitor 2013/2014
Co-author, "Reasoned Statement of the Management Board and the Supervisory Board under Section 27 of the German Securities Acquisition and Takeover Act – Practice Report (January 2007 – June 2013)(Die Stellungnahme von Vorstand und Aufsichtsrat gemäß § 27 WpÜG – ein Praxisbericht (Januar 2007 – Juni 2013))", CORPORATE FINANCE law
, Issue 3, Pages 105-115, 2013 (with Dorothea Kreymborg)
Co-author, "Practical aspects of public takeover bids in times of volatile markets (Praxisrelevante Aspekte öffentlicher Übernahmen in Zeiten volatiler Märkte)", AG
, Issue 20, Pages 741-749, 2012 (with Marc Christian Gei)
Co-author, "Practical aspects in connection with the financing of public takeover bids (Praxisrelevante Aspekte der Finanzierungssicherstellung bei öffentlichen Übernahmen)", CORPORATE FINANCE law
, Issue 6, Pages 284-291, 2011 (with Alexander Kiefner)
Co-author, "Competence of the general shareholders' meeting to approve the sale and purchase of assets in M&A transactions (Hauptversammlungszuständigkeit bei Veräußerung und Erwerb von Gesellschaftsvermögen im Rahmen von M&A-Transaktionen)," Der Konzern
, Page 451 et seqq., 2009 (with Myriam Spengler)
Co-author, "The legal framework for prebid stakebuilding (Rechtliche Rahmenbedinungen des Beteiligungsaufbaus im Vorfeld von Unternehmensübernahmen)," WM
, Page 340 et seqq., 2009 (with Andreas Meyer)
View all publications.