At White & Case we are committed to the training and professional development of our lawyers. Our goal is to ensure that our professional development efforts are aligned with the Firm's objectives and the work demands and expectations of our lawyers to ensure that our career development and training programs meet the needs of the individual, the firm and our clients.
With these points in mind, we have developed the White & Case Professional Skills Institute—a training program designed to give associates the business and legal skills necessary for them to succeed as effective practitioners at a global law firm.
The Professional Skills Institute serves as an umbrella for all of White & Case's training courses where the participants are drawn from more than one office, ensuring an organized approach to our professional development activities and providing opportunities for associates from different offices and practice areas to meet each other and train together early in their careers.
The Professional Skills Institute's initiatives follow three distinct but interrelated tracks:
- Orientation Programs are held annually in New York and Bruges for junior associates from the Americas and the EMEA/Asia Pacific regions respectively. We also run regular induction programs for laterally hired associates within these regions. Running separate events for the Americas and EMEA/Asia Pacific allows us the opportunity to tailor the programs to reflect the training needs of associates from different legal traditions. These programs provide a comprehensive introduction to the firm and its history, culture and ethics, as well as an appreciation of what it takes to succeed in a global law firm, particularly the ability to work successfully with clients and lawyers from different cultural backgrounds.
- Business Skills Programs help associates to develop key skills that are essential for the successful lawyer in today's competitive environment, such as showing commercial awareness, making effective presentations, and winning and retaining clients. We work hard to harness internal best practice with the expertise of selected external consultants to provide tailored, hands-on training programs in the following key areas:
- The Commercial Understanding Program offers associates a thorough understanding of the commercial considerations that underlie the typical transactions encountered in our practice.
- The Communication Skills Program helps associates develop the interpersonal skills that are so crucial for success, such as influencing, presentation and communication.
- The Negotiation Skills Program allows associates to develop their expertise in a series of highly practical case studies.
- The Business Development Program looks at developing the skills required to market effectively to both existing and potential clients.
- Legal Skills Programs The Institute works with the Firm's practice groups to create courses that are tailored to the associates' level of experience in their practice area.
Recruiting and developing talents are integral to our success and ongoing growth. Your career potential with White & Case begins with an email to any of the offices listed below. Please specify the role and the location of your interest when sending through your cover letter, résumé and transcripts. Kindly note that only applications written in English will be considered.
It is our policy to offer equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons regardless of their race, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation.
White & Case LLP, Beijing Office
19th Floor, Tower 1 of China Central Place
81 Jianguo Lu Chaoyang District
T +86 10 5912 9600
White & Case
9th Floor, Central Tower
28 Queen's Road, Central
T +852 2822 8700
Hong Kong Graduate Recruitment
Please visit hkgrad.whitecase.com for more details.
White & Case LLP, Shanghai Office
Citic Square, 39th Fl.
1168 Nanjing Road (West)
T +86 21 6132 5900
White & Case Pte. Ltd.
8 Marina View #27-01
Asia Square Tower 1
T +65 6225 6000
White & Case LLP
White & Case Law Offices
Marunouchi Trust Tower Main
26th Floor 1-8-3 Marunouchi
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-0005
T +81 3 6384 3300
Office Assistant – Hong Kong
An exciting opportunity exists in our Hong Kong office.
We are looking for an office assistant with:
- ability to work well independently and in a team environment;
- good sense of responsibility and deadlines;
- customer service mentality; and
- conversational English and Cantonese.
Experience in a law firm or an international organization is preferred but not mandatory.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- postal arrangement;
- stationary management;
- basic facilities maintenance; and
- other ad hoc duties as assigned by the Office Manager.
How to apply: Please submit your application by emailing your resume and covering letter to our HR department, email@example.com. Please quote the reference (Ref: HK- Office Assistant) in the email subject.
Associate—Investment Funds (Hong Kong)
Position summary: Our global investment funds team has established some of the largest, most complex funds around the world. As a global firm with a longstanding presence in Asia, our lawyers have the legal know-how and market awareness to apply the intricacies of new and innovative structures while observing the region’s vastly different markets and the constantly evolving regulatory landscape around the world.
Our clients range from groups with billions of dollars under management to smaller firms seeking to establish their first fund. White & Case's Asian investment funds team is composed of members who have not only deep experience in the funds industry, but also diverse backgrounds in private equity, capital markets, securities, derivatives, M&A, finance and the regulatory industry, enabling us to provide practical, innovative and solution-oriented advice to our clients.
How to apply: Please apply here.
Essential job requirements:
- US qualified is highly preferred; England & Wales qualified will also considered
- PQE three to five years
- Experience in private equity (PE) international funds, especially in fund formation and related work from an international law firm in the United States
- Experience in funds and regulatory matters and
- Experience in private equity funds and hedge funds or M&A work would be a bonus
Office location: Hong Kong
Reports to: Sharon Hartline
Legal Intern – Beijing
Position summary: It is a great way to obtain first-hand experience of what life is like as a legal professional at White & Case through the internship. This internship provides an opportunity to play an active part in the life and work of our Beijing office. Our intern will work within the office alongside Partners and Associates from different practices to assist them with their work.
How to apply: Interested parties please send in your application including a cover letter, resume and transcript by e-mail to Xue Li, Office Manager, White & Case LLP, Beijing office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the reference (Ref: BJ Intern) in the email subject.
Essential job requirements: Intern will work under the supervision of Partners or Associates in providing legal services to clients. The ideal candidate will be a full time law student at their 3rd or final year for LLB, and 2nd or final year for LLM candidate with fluent oral and written English and Mandarin skills. A professional demeanor, strong work ethic and a team player attitude are also critical.
Office location: Beijing
Contract duration: Approximately 6 months
Hours: 9:00am to 5:30pm, 4 to 5 days a week
Tokyo Summer Internship Program
Spend time with us in Tokyo during the Summer of 2016! A great way to obtain first-hand experience of what life is like at White & Case Tokyo is through our summer internships. There are up to three places available in our Tokyo office for internships of six to eight weeks starting in May or early June each year. An allowance will be paid to support your internship.
Summer internships provide an opportunity to play an active part in the life and work of our Tokyo office. During the program, you will work within a number of practice groups alongside associates and assist them with their work. Informal talks with partners and associates will enable you to gain some insight into White & Case. You will also be able to take part in the Tokyo office's formal training sessions and workshops. You will receive continued support and feedback throughout the program.
In addition, we don’t forget the importance of a social life and there will be opportunities for you to network at social events planned during your summer placement.
The application period for our 2016 Summer Internship Program is open until January 31, 2016. Applicants must have native or near-native fluency in English and should be able to speak business level Japanese. Advanced Japanese reading and written skills are also highly regarded. Please note White & Case Associates are generally not recruited through the White & Case Tokyo Summer Internship Program; if you are interested in applying for a position as an Associate, please inquire with an office in our network that recruits Associates who are completing their legal training.
How to apply: Please submit your cover letter, resume, transcript and writing sample to: Chikako Fujii, email@example.com, to apply.