This timeline provides a brief overview of the history of White & Case. For a more in-depth look at the Firm’s history, please visit the digital version of the book “White & Case: The First 100 Years & Beyond.”
On May 1, 1901, J. DuPratt White and George B. Case form White & Case, opening in a two-room office on Nassau Street. In 1903, White & Case helps Harry Davison form Bankers Trust Company.
J.P. Morgan & Co. retains White & Case to help Great Britain and France purchase war materials in the United States; DuPratt White is made a Chevalier of the French Legion of Honor for the Firm’s work in this role. Two years later in 1917, U.S. President Woodrow Wilson appoints George Case to the War Council within the Red Cross. Case helps transform the Red Cross into an international institution.
White & Case opens its first non-U.S. office in Paris on Place Vendôme, becoming one of the first U.S. law firms to establish an office outside the United States.
White & Case represents the sellers in the sale of the Empire State Building for $51 million, the highest price paid at the time for a single structure. In 1952, Arabian American Oil Company (Aramco) becomes a client of White & Case.
White & Case begins to develop its sovereign practice by representing Indonesia in resolving its debt crisis. In 1976, the Legal Aid Society of New York establishes The Orison S. Marden Award, in honor of Marden’s commitment to legal aid.
Jim Hurlock is elected Chair, the first partner to be elected Chair by the Firm’s partners. Under his leadership, the Firm undertakes a globalization strategy and, in 1983, White & Case opens an office in Stockholm.
White & Case opens offices in Moscow, Prague and Warsaw to advise on mass privatization programs in these countries.
White & Case, a global law firm that serves our clients wherever they are.