Angel Calleja is a counsel in the Tax Group of the Madrid office.
Angel is specialized in complex Tax (International and Domestic) and commercial law matters for MNEs. He is a senior advisor to boards and top management of both major Spanish and foreign MNEs on key legal/financial matters in Spain and abroad. He also has wide experience in top level negotiations with Governmental authorities and with regulators and extensive international experience, on business and management matters in Europe, US, Latam, Asia and North Africa.
Angel's advice has covered all major industries involving MNEs throughout his career including Telecom, Financial, Infrastructure, Energy and Private Equity. He is consistently featured for his tax expertise by all independent international rankings: Chambers, Euromoney, ITR, Who's Who, Best Lawyers, etc.
Examples of his representative experience includes:
- Responsible for first purchase of a NY listed Company by a Spanish MNE.*
- Led most relevant global delisting of Latam companies for a Spanish MNE.*
- Successfully represented foreign MNEs in major tax controversies in Spain, including attaining several flagship Court Decisions and Administrative Resolutions involving the largest-ever tax assessments raised in Spain, the largest-ever tax credits claimed by a MNE and domestic law changing EU matters.*
- Handled the most significant investment abroad by a Spanish MNE within a major bidding process.*
- Participated in several listings of Spanish MNEs in NY.*
- Led sensitive negotiations with the Spanish Government on Tax and Cultural matters of utmost relevance.*
- Appointed by OECD as private expert on business restructuring and transfer pricing-contributor to the OECD official commentaries on the subject.*
(*) Experience prior to joining White & Case LLP