Emily Pope is an associate in the Firm's Global M&A Practice Group and a member of the Real Estate Industry Group. She is based in the Chicago office. Emily focuses her practice on real estate acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, financings and leases. Emily advises a variety of clients, including public and private companies, international banking institutions, and real estate developers. She is experienced in working with mixed-use, retail, office, multifamily, industrial and unimproved real estate.
Representative matters at White & Case include:
- Representation of a private investment firm in its disposition of 45 limited service hotels located in Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Texas.
- Representation of a real estate developer in its acquisition of various towers located in Illinois, Texas, and Wisconsin, for conversion into apartments.
- Representation of equity investors and developers in their acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures and development agreements related to data centers and technology parks located throughout the U.S.
- Representation of a developer of luxury single family rental communities in its acquisitions, financings, joint ventures, development agreements and construction agreements related to properties primarily located in Texas.
- Representation of a commercial real estate portfolio lender in connection with senior and mezzanine financing of office buildings, apartment projects and industrial properties located throughout the U.S.
- Representation of a major oil and gas producer on the negotiation of a Pore Space Lease and Surface Use Agreement opposite a privately-held agricultural production and resource management company, to support large-scale Direct Air Capture (DAC) projects for dedicated carbon dioxide (CO2) sequestration on 106,000 acres in Kleberg County, Texas. The lease provides access to land for the potential to remove up to 30 million metric tons of CO2 per year through DAC and pore space estimated to store up to three billion metric tons of CO2 in geologic reservoirs.
- Representation of a Japanese banking and financial services institution in connection with the financing of the acquisition and leaseback of a portfolio of real estate assets, primarily consisting of port locations, located throughout the U.S.
- Representation of an American commercial bank in connection with the real estate matters related to the financing of the acquisition of various companies engaging in bulk liquid storage.
- Representation of Landcadia Holdings III, Inc. (NASDAQ: LCY), a SPAC, in the real estate matters related to its US$2.642 billion acquisition of HMAN Group Holdings Inc., the parent company of The Hillman Group, Inc., a leading distributor of hardware and home improvement products, personal protective equipment, and robotic kiosk technologies, from CCMP Capital Advisors, LP.
- Representation of Atlas Arteria Ltd., a global owner, operator and developer of toll roads, in the US$2.013 billion purchase of a 66.67% interest in the Chicago Skyway toll road from Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, a global investment management organization that invests the assets of the Canada Pension Plan, and OMERS Infrastructure, the infrastructure investment advisory and management arm of OMERS, the pension plan.
- Representation of Vista Ridge LLC, the concessionaire for a 142-mile water pipeline in Texas, in the real estate matters related to the recent refinancing of the project's construction financing through the issuance of more than US$1 billion senior secured notes pursuant to a private placement under Section 4(a)(2), and a working capital facility provided by commercial banks. IJGlobal recognized this as "Americas Water Deal of the Year" in 2020.
- Representation of TotalEnergies Renewables USA in the real estate matters related to its acquisition from Austin, Texas-based Core Solar, LLC of 4GW of utility-scale solar and energy storage development projects across several US states and power markets.
- Representation of Saudi Aramco, one of the world's largest integrated energy and chemical companies, in its acquisition of Valvoline Inc.'s (NYSE: VVV) global products business for US$2.65 billion.
- Representation of Sole Source Capital LLC, an industrial-focused private equity firm:
- In the real estate matters related to its acquisition of I.D. Images, a manufacturer of high-quality durable and graphic intensive labels.
- Through its portfolio company Supply Chain Services, a premier provider of automatic identification and data capture and factory automation solutions to customers across North America, in the real estate matters related to its acquisition of Miles Data Technologies, a leading provider of barcode, RFID, and mobility solutions.
- Representation of U.S. lead arrangers and lenders in middle-market financing transactions with loan amounts of up to US$200 million.
- Representation of a real estate company on the modification of a US$145 million loan.
- Representation of a major retailer, a national educational institution, and a transportation company in lease negotiations, acquisitions, and dispositions throughout the U.S.
- Representation of a major retailer and a manufacturing company in real estate matters related to Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and out-of-court restructuring.
- Representation of a client in a US$400 million portfolio acquisition of U.S. ski resorts.