Fernando Navarro is a partner in the EMEA Banking Team and head of the Madrid Banking Group.
His practice focuses on a wide variety of financing transactions through syndicated and bilateral loans, acting for both lenders and borrowers, as well as on derivatives, structured products, securitisation and DCM. He has also participated in a number of portfolio disposals acting for numerous Spanish and international banks and funds.
Fernando has vast experience in asset finance, trade finance, aviation finance and project finance.
Fernando is highly recommended as a Banking lawyer by Chambers where he is mentioned as being capable to translate "questions of great legal and technical complexity to a commercial and easily intelligible level" and by IFLR1000 where is rated as "highly regarded". Fernando is also mentioned as a "Leading individual" by Legal 500 in its last edition.
London, courses for QLTT
Program on Management for Law Firms
Examples of his recent representative experience includes advising:
- Crédit Agricole-CIB with an interbank minimum requirement for own funds and eligible liabilities (MREL) facility to be extended to Novobanco.
- Babcock Mission Critical Services, S.A.U. in the issuance of a Spanish law capacity legal opinion with regard to a lease agreement of different aircrafts.
- Representation of Tink AB, a leading open banking platform provider, in connection with a secured facility for an amount of €110M extended ahead of Tink AB's sale to Visa.
- Bank of America Europe Designated Activity Company in relation to an amendment agreement of a revolving credit facility for an initial maximum amount of 100,000,000 (current € 60 million) entered into on 1 July 2016 by Repsol, S.A. as borrower and Bank of America as lender.
- Banco Santander, S.A.in connection with a US$75 million credit agreement governed by the laws of the State of New York entered into among, inter alia, Nuevo Saturno S.A.C. as the Initial Borrower, Talesden Investments, S.L.U. as the Initial Guarantor, Banco de Crédito del Perú S.A. as Administrative Agent and Banco Santander, S.A. as Sole Lead Arranger and Bookrunner.
- The lenders in connection with the issuance of Nordic bonds by Global Agrajes, S.L.U. (Fertiberia Group). The financing involved the amendment of the existing senior facility agreement granted by the lenders to the Fertiberia group and the execution of a new intercreditor agreement and security package.
- Scotiabank in connection with a USD 30 million revolving credit facility extended on 22 July 2020 in favour of X-Elio.
- A syndicate of banks in connection with a EUR 250,000,000 multicurrency revolving credit facility extended on 28 July 2021 in favour of X-Elio.
- Societe Generale (as agent and security agent) and Credit Suisse International, BNP Paribas, Societe Generale and Barclay Bank PLC (as arrangers) as well as other lenders in connection with EQT Infrastructure's acquisition of the Colisee group (a leading operator of nursing home facilities, based in France) from IK Investment Partners.
- the affiliates of Oaktree Capital Management, L.P., Centerbridge Partners, Cross Ocean Partners, Barings LLC and Canyon Partners, LLC as lenders on the GBP400 million (or equivalent) term loan refinancing and upsizing of the existing credit facilities of the Odeon Cinemas group and AMC Entertainment Holdings, Inc's subsidiaries.
- La financiación de procedimientos judiciales, ¿una modalidad que ha llegado para quedarse? La Ley Mercantil, May 2015
- Posibles efectos prácticos del convenio de Ciudad del Cabo sobre operaciones de financiación de elementos de equipo aeronáutico españoles. La Ley Diario, February 2015
- El pacto comisorio en el actual marco de los derechos de garantía. La Ley Diario, May 2014
- Direct lending: ¿qué, cuándo y cómo? Cuatrecasasblog.com, February 2014
- Trend to high-yield bonds. International Financial Law Review IFLR, May 2013
- Fondo para la financiación de los pagos a proveedores. Anuario mercantil para abogados, 2013
- Implicaciones prácticas de la prenda de derechos de crédito configurada como prenda sin desplazamiento tras la reforma de la Ley Concursal introducida por la Ley 38/2011, de 10 de octubre. La Ley Diario, December 2012
- Fund for financing payments to suppliers. International Financial Law Review IFLR, 26 September 2012
- Financing payments to suppliers of local entities and autonomous regions. Financierworldwide.com, August 2012
Banking & Finance
- Leading Individual: The Legal 500 2021
- Recommended (Band 3): Chambers and Partners Global 2021
- Recommended (Band 3): Chambers and Partners Europe 2021