Ignacio Paz is a partner in the Firm's Global M&A / Corporate Group in Madrid.
His practice focuses on cross-border and domestic acquisitions and disposals, projects and regulatory issues in the infrastructure, energy and natural resources sectors.
He has more than 25 years of experience assisting infrastructure funds, corporates, global investment banks and governmental entities in originating opportunities, executing transactions and developing projects in a range of sub-sectors including transport (roads, rail, ports, airports and parkings), social infrastructure, power and renewables (wind, solar, hydro, biomass, bioenergy, cogeneration), clean hydrogen, distribution networks, digital, water and waste, mining and natural resources.
Ranked by the most relevant international legal directories as one of the Spanish leading lawyers for energy and natural resources, environment and projects.
Ignacio has advised clients on deals in a wide range of jurisdictions including, in particular, Latin America.
Representative Infrastructure matters include advising:
- DIF Capital Partners ("DIF"):
- On the acquisition of Grupo Itevelesa, a market leading provider of vehicle inspection services in Spain with a network of 72 stations nationwide serving ca. 2.3 million customers annually. The advice included a long-term debt financing for the refinancing of the Company*.
- On the acquisition of 33,34% of OHL´s stake in the New Toledo Hospital PPP project, considered the largest hospital complex in Europe*.
- On the disposal to Brookfield of five Spanish PPP projects within the transport of healthcare sectors (Majadahonda hospital, Line 9 -Section IV- of the Barcelona underground and 3 hubs (Plaza de Castilla, Avenida de America and príncipe Pío)*.
- On the acquisition of 100% of the concessionaire of Hospital de Vallecas in Madrid, Spain.*
- A global port's integrated logistics platform with a market-leading position in Spain and a significant presence in more than 20 countries, on its sale to a global trade, logistics and transport ports operator.*.
- Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF) on the acquisition of Coradya polyvalent and Talent 3 train platforms from Almston (including a factory in Reichshoffen)*.
- China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC) on the acquisition of Grupo Puentes, an Spanish infrastructure company with presence in 13 countries focused on the construction and operation of infra assets*.
- First Sentier Investors on the acquisition of Parkia, the third Spanish largest concessionaires of public off-street car parks from EQT*.
- InfraVia Capital Partners on the acquisition of a significant stake in Metro de Malaga, the light rail system of the City of Málaga under a 38-year concession agreement procured by the Region of Andalusia*.
- A financial buyer on the intended acquisition of a portfolio of several Spanish toll roads: R-2 (Madrid-Guadalajara), R-4 (Madrid-Ocaña), AP-36 (Ocaña-La Roda), M-12 (Eje aeropuerto), AP-41 (Madrid-Toledo), Circunvalación de Alicante, AP-7 (Cartagena-Vera), R3 and R5*.
- Quaero Capital on the acquisition of Hospital del Tajo and Explotadora del Hospital del Tajo from Assignia Infrastructuras, Instalaciones Inabensa and Sando Concesiones*.
- A consortium formed by FCC, Alpine, Strukton, Almston and Samsung on the public tender for the construction of the Riyadh Metro Project (lines 4, 5, 6)*.
- Aeropuertos Españoles y Navegación Aérea (AENA):
- On the tendering process of the following airport concessions in Brazil: Porto Alegre-Salgado Filho, Salvador-Deputado Luís Eduardo Magalhaes, Florianópolis-Hercílio Luz and Fortaleza-Pino Martins*.
- On the prequalification phase in the tendering process of the Arturo Merino Benitez International Airport concession in Santiago de Chile*.
Representative Energy matters include advising:
- Energy Infrastructure Partners and Crédit Agricole Assurances on the acquisition of 25% of Repsol Renovables with a portfolio of more than 1.6 GW of installed renewable capacity in Spain, the United States and Chile*.
- On the JV with Plug Power Inc. to establish a leading green hydrogen platform for the Iberian Peninsula that will serve clients in Spain and Portugal*.
- On the JV with SS Renewables to develop offshore wind farms in Spain and Portugal*.
- One of the largest global infrastructure funds on its final bid and negotiation for the intended acquisition of EON's Spanish energy business including 4,6 GW of conventional and renewable energy generation capacity comprised of wind and hydroelectric assets and coal and gas-fired power plants, a 33,000km electricity distribution grid and 600,000 customer supply business*.
- Quercus on the sale of a portfolio of 11 PV development projects in Spain with installed capacity of over 700 MW, to BayWa r.e*.
- Cubico Sustainable Investments on the acquisition of 100% of the share capital of Arenales Solar PS, the owner of a concentrated solar power (CSP) plant located in Seville with a generation capacity of 49,9 MW*.
- Sustainable Development Capital Energy Efficiency Income Trust (SEEIT) on the acquisition of a portfolio of 9 cogeneration facilities in Spain from Sacyr Industrial Renovables. The portfolio included five combined heat and power (CHP) plants, two olive processing plants and two biomass plants*.
- Icon infrastructure on the acquisition and development of a portfolio of 250 MWs of PV projects in the south of Spain*.
- Ardian on the acquisition of several renewable assets in Spain including "Parque Eólico los Ausines" and "Parc Eólica Veciana Cabaro" wind farm projects*.
- JZ International:
- On the sale of Petrocorner, a network of 65 petrol stations throughout Spain, to a Spanish subsidiary of British Petroleum*.
- On the disposal of a portfolio of 22 PV plants located in Spain to Sonnedix*".
- Alkion Terminals, a subsidiary of InfraVia Capital Partners, on its acquisition of LBC Belgium BV´s, a subsidiary of LBC Tank Terminal, with activities in chemicals and oil storage terminals across Spain and Portugal*.
Representative Mining matters include advising:
- Berkeley Resources on the development of an uranium mining project in Salamanca, Spain*.
- Atalaya Mining on several legal aspects related to the development of its copper and silver mining projects in southwest Spain*.
- Rio Narcea Gold Mines on the development of a gold mining project in Asturias, Spain*.
- Río Narcea Recursos on the development of a nickel mining project in Extremadura, Spain*.
- Orvana Minerals Corporation on the acquisition of Kinbauri Gold Corporation, a company with gold mining rights in the North of Spain*.
*Experience prior to joining White & Case