James Jian Hu
James Hu is a partner in White & Case's Global Mergers & Acquisitions Practice and a member of the Global Private Equity Industry Group. He is resident in the Firm's New York office.
Mr. Hu's practice focuses on the representation of both public companies and financial sponsors engaged in domestic or cross-border M&A or private equity transactions. His experience includes complex business combinations, including public company mergers, portfolio company acquisitions or sales, carve-outs, SPAC transactions and equity or joint venture arrangements. Mr. Hu represents clients in numerous industries, including life sciences and technology.
Mr. Hu also serves as an adjunct professor at Cornell Law School, where he teaches an upper-class course "Mergers & Acquisitions: a Module Based Approach."
Representative matters (including those prior to joining White & Case):
- Representation of Soaring Eagle Acquisition Corp in its $17.5 billion business combination with Ginkgo Bioworks, Inc.
- Representation of dMY Technology Group Inc. IV in its $2.8 billion business combination with Planet Labs.
- VPC Impact Acquisition Holdings II (Nasdaq: VPCB), a SPAC sponsored by Victory Park Capital, in its US$2.5 billion business combination with FinAccel, the parent of artificial intelligence-enabled digital consumer credit platform Kredivo.
- Representation of New Providence Acquisition Corp. in its US$1.8 billion business combination with AST & Science.
- Representation of Clene Nanomedicine, Inc., a nanotechnology-based biopharma company, in its US$542.5 million combination with Tottenham Acquisition I Limited.
- Representation of Lion Financial Group, a diversified financial services company based in Hong Kong, on its combination with Proficient Alpha Acquisition Corp.
- Representation of Danaher Corporation in its US$21.4 billion acquisition of the biopharma business of General Electric. This transaction was shortlisted for "Deal of the Year" at the 2019 Deal Awards.
- Representation of Micro Focus International plc in its US$8.8 billion "Reverse Morris Trust" acquisition of Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company's software business.
- Representation of Baxalta Incorporated in connection with Shire plc's unsolicited takeover bid resulting in a US$32 billion stock-and-cash sale. This transaction was awarded U.S. Global M&A Deal of the Year by The American Lawyer.
- Representation of Cambrex Corporation in its US$2.4 billion agreement to be acquired by Permira.
- Representation of Equity One in its US$15.6 billion merger with Regency Centers Corporation, creating the preeminent shopping center REIT in the United States.
- Representation of Ventas, Inc. in its US$1.75 billion acquisition of Ardent Medical Services, Inc. and the concurrent carve-out sale of Ardent's operational business for US$475 million.
- Representation of Fortive Corporation in its US$2 billion acquisition of Accruent.
- Representation of Danaher in its US$825 million divestment of certain lines of businesses to Sartorius AG.
- Representation of Teva in its US$40 billion takeover proposal to acquire Mylan.
- Representation of the Macerich Company in connection with Simon Property Group's US$23.2 billion unsolicited takeover offer and subsequent settlement with two activist investors.
- Representation of AbbVie in its US$55 billion acquisition of Shire (terminated).
- Representation of Charter Communications in its strategic investment in comScore (NASDAQ: SCOR), together with Qurate Retail and Cerberus Capital, totaling US$204 million.
- Representation of Charter Communications in its divestiture of its datacenter business to RDX.
Financial Sponsor Transactions
- Representation of Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ), a global investment group, to acquire majority ownership of Wizeline, a global technology services provider.
- Representation of TDR Capital in its US$6.6 billion combination of WillScot with Mobile Mini. This transaction was awarded the "Energy & Industrials Deal of the Year" by The Deal.
- Representation of Madison Dearborn Partners in its acquisition of Benefytt Technologies for approximately US$624.5 million.
- Representation of Investor Consortium in US$4.76 billion take-private of China Biologic Products.
- Representation of Vestar Capital Partners in its acquisition of majority ownership in Dr. Praeger's Sensible Foods, a Leader in Plant-Based Food.
- Representation of Värde Partners on Strategic Partnership Agreement with American Equity and Agam Capital Management.
- Representation of funds advised by Apax Partners in their sale of Genex Services, a leading provider of managed care services, to Stone Point Capital LLC.
- Representation of Warburg Pincus and its portfolio company TriMark USA in the sale of TriMark USA, the country's largest provider of design services, equipment and supplies to the foodservice industry, to private equity firm Centerbridge Partners.
- Representation of Harland Clarke Holdings on its sale of Scantron Corporation, a leader in Assessment Solutions and Technology Solutions, to Transom Capital Group.
- Representation of Harland Clarke Holdings on Valassis' US$95 million acquisition of MaxPoint Interactive.
- Representation of TZP Group in its acquisition of Pyramid Hotel Group, a leading hotel management company.
- Representation of Viking Global Investors in its carve out acquisition of RUCDR Infinite Biologics lab from Rutgers University.
- Representation of Fortive Corporation in the combination of its Tektronix Video business, a global leader in video test, with Telestream, a leading provider of digital media tools and workflow solutions.
- Representation of Charter Communications in connection with its formation of a 50/50 operating platform partnership with Comcast Corporation focused on the development and design of backend systems that support Charter's Spectrum Mobile and Comcast's Xfinity Mobile service.
- Representation of Celanese Corporation in its joint venture with Blackstone to create a global acetate tow supplier.
Financial Advisor Representation
- Representation of Centerview Partners and Lazard Frères & Co., which acted as financial advisors to the special committee of CBS Corporation in its combination with Viacom Inc. This transaction was awarded the "Most Innovative Deal of the Year" by The Deal.
- Representation of Broadhaven Capital Partners, which acted as financial advisor to the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Sierra Income Corporation in Sierra's mergers with Medley Capital Corporation and Medley Management Inc.
- Representation of Centerview Partners, which acted as financial advisor to Pandora Media in US$3.5 billion acquisition by SiriusXM.
- Representation of Centerview Partners, which acted as financial advisor to AveXis Inc.'s US$8.7 billion acquisition by Novartis. This transaction was shortlisted for "Most Innovative Deal of the Year" at the 2019 Deal Awards.
Other Transactional Matters
- Representation of Norwegian Cruise Line in its US$2.4 billion capital market transaction.
- Representation of RGIS Holdings LLC, a global leader in inventory and retail services, in connection with its out-of-court restructuring.
Panelist, "A Brave New World: Emerging Topics in Corporate Law Practice," University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia (2018).
Panelist, "East Meets West: How Strengthened U.S.-Asia Ties are Changing the Cross-Border Investment Ecosystem," University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia (2017).
In re Dole Food Company, Inc. and the Cost of Going Private, in HARVARD LAW SCHOOL FORUM ON CORPORATE GOVERNANCE AND FINANCIAL REGULATION, also appearing in DEAL LAWYERS, VOL. 9, NO. 6.
Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2020 – 2021
Notable Practitioner, IFLR1000