Clients describe Jon as “very responsive and always goes the extra mile”, “very hands-on” and “tactical in his approach to negotiation”. (Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019, 2021, 2023)
Jon Bowden is a Partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity practice group in Singapore.
Jon regularly advises global and Asia-based private equity sponsors and other financial investors in connection with their transactions across jurisdictions in Asia and globally. Jon also advises large MNCs and financial institutions on a variety of cross-border private and public M&A transactions, joint ventures and corporate finance transactions.
Jon has over 16 years of corporate/M&A experience. He started his career in London and has been based in Singapore for over 10 years.
Jon is the Head of the Vietnam Country Group of White & Case.
Jon chairs the Singapore office's pro bono and CSR committee and is actively involved in the firm's regional pro bono efforts.
- A leading global financial sponsor on the investment by a sovereign wealth fund into an investment platform founded by the financial sponsor with a focus on Indian single-specialty healthcare businesses.
- A leading global financial sponsor on its co-investment with a sovereign wealth fund into The CrownX, the integrated consumer retail platform of Vietnamese conglomerate Masan Group.
- A leading global financial sponsor on its investments in one of Vietnam's largest international schools.
- A leading global financial sponsor on its proposed acquisition of 100% of an international school based in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- A leading global financial sponsor on its investment into a group of companies in India in the business of researching, developing, manufacturing, marketing and commercialization of bio-pharmaceutical products, including vaccines for COVID-19.
- Brookfield Renewable Partners on the disposal of 9 operating solar plants in Thailand to Global Power Synergy Public Company (GPSC), the power generation arm of Thailand's PTT Group.
- Brookfield Renewable Partners on the disposal of its solar energy business in Malaysia.
- Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P. on its establishment of a 50:50 joint venture with Digital Realty focused on the development, ownership and operation of institutional quality data centers in India.
- Baring Private Equity Asia on a number of matters, including its acquisition of a 28 percent stake in PT Nitrasanata Dharma, a business in Indonesia which operates the Jakarta Eye Center and is comprised of specialist eye care hospitals and clinics and consultation and surgical facilities.
- Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (MIRA) on its investments in GNPK and GNPower Kauswagan, a leading power provider in the Philippines, and the related consortium and exit arrangements with AC Energy.
- Private equity firm ChrysCapital on its participation in a US$150 million minority investment in QuEST Global, a global product engineering and lifecycle services business.
- Private-equity backed Diaverum, a leading global renal care service provider, on its acquisition of Advance Renal Care Asia (ARCA) and its subsidiaries, a group engaged in the provision of dialysis services and dialysis centre management services in Singapore and Malaysia.
- Private-equity backed Babilou SAS, the leading global child-care centre operator based in Europe, on its acquisition of 70% of the Nurture Education Group, a child-care centre operator based in Singapore and subsequent acquisition of a chain of kindergarten child care centres in Singapore.
- LOLC Holdings, as part of an investor consortium, on the sale of its shareholding in PRASAC MicroFinance Institution Limited (PRASAC) to Kookmin Bank Co. Ltd, the largest ever Cambodian M&A deal by value and one of the largest ever overseas investments by a Korean bank. The transaction won "Best of the Frontier Markets" award at the FinanceAsia Awards 2020.
- One of the world's largest sovereign wealth funds on its investment in a logistics real estate investment platform in Singapore.
- ESR on the establishment of RJLF II Fund, a fund focused on real estate development of logistics and distribution projects, with Ping An, Equity International, EPF, Allianz as investors.
- ESR on the establishment of the RJLF III Fund, a fund focused on real estate development of logistics and distribution projects.
- PT Avia Avian, one of Indonesia's leading paint manufacturers, on a recent pre-IPO minority investment by a leading sovereign wealth fund.
- Pacific Century Group on its acquisition of AMS Singapore Pte. Ltd., a leading insurance solutions operator in Asia-Pacific.
- PAG on the establishment of a co-investment platform with respect to the telecommunications sector in the Philippines.
- VinaCapital on the establishment of a co-investment platform with a leading regional SE Asian conglomerate.
- A global investment bank on its warrant and equity arrangements in respect of a leading private-equity backed a real estate logistics operator in Vietnam.
FIG / Fintech:
- VPC Impact Acquisition Holdings II (Nasdaq: VPCB), a SPAC sponsored by Victory Park Capital, on its US$2.5 billion business combination with FinAccel, the parent company of Indonesian digital consumer credit and 'Buy Now Pay Later' platform Kredivo.
- bolttech Holdings Limited, an international insurtech company, on its US$180 million series A equity financing round (led by Activant Capital Group), which valued bolttech at more than US$1 billion and was reportedly the largest ever insurtech Series A funding round.
- Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited on its US$2.3 billion acquisition of a majority shareholding in Bank Permata Tbk from Standard Chartered Bank and PT Astra International Tbk. This transaction has been named "M&A Deal of the Year" by ALB Indonesia Law Awards 2020.
- Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited on its mandatory tender offer in respect of Bank Permata Tbk.
- Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited on the integration of its Indonesian branch business (Bangkok Bank Indonesia) with PT Bank Permata Tbk.
- A private equity bidder on its proposed acquisition of a significant minority shareholding in BFI Finance Tbk, a leading Indonesian consumer multi-finance platform.
- A leading Middle Eastern bank on its proposed acquisition of a significant minority stake in PT Bank Bukopin Tbk.
- FWD Group Management Holdings Limited on its acquisition of a shareholding in FWD Takaful (formerly HSBC Amanah Takaful (Malaysia) Berhad) from HSBC Insurance (Asia Pacific) Holdings Limited and related bancassurance arrangements.
- A leading international bank on the potential re-structuring of its Indonesian banking business.
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC) on its US$1.5 billion acquisition of a 40 percent shareholding in BTPN, a leading Indonesian listed bank.
- Jio Platforms Limited, a subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited, on its US$200 million investment in Glance Pte. Ltd.
- Schneider Electric Foundries, a leading multinational company providing energy and automation digital products, on the establishment and co-investment arrangements of energy management company NaviX Solutions.
- GlobalWafers Co. Ltd., a global leader in the manufacture of silicon wafers for the semiconductor industry, on its US$683 million acquisition of SunEdison Semiconductor Limited.
- Pivotal Software, Inc., a data and analytics software and services provider, in connection with its acquisition of the software development and services business of Neo Innovation, Inc. and Neo Innovation (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.
- PT XL Axiata, an Indonesian telecommunications operator, on its US$267 million sale and leaseback of 2,500 telecoms towers to PT Profesional Telekomunikasi Indonesia (Protelindo).
- LS Cable & System Ltd. on its formation of a joint venture in Indonesia with PT Artha Metal Sinergi, an affiliate of Artha Graha Group.
- A leading Filipino conglomerate on its proposed acquisition of a portfolio of telecoms towers.
Energy & Renewables:
- Various international developers in respect of solar and wind power projects in Vietnam.
- Schneider Electric, a global player in energy management and automation, on its US$2.1 billion (₹14,000 crore) acquisition of Larsen & Toubro Electrical & Automation, and on the subsequent consortium arrangements between Schneider Electric and Temasek Holdings Private Ltd. The transaction was named "Cross-Border M&A Deal of the Year (Over US$1 billion)" by the M&A Advisor (2020).
- Saudi Aramco on its US$14 billion joint venture with Petronas to develop and finance Petronas's Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development (RAPID) in Malaysia.
- Brenntag, the global market leader in chemical distribution, on its acquisition of a majority interest in, and joint venture with, Zhongbai Xingye Food Technology (Beijing) Co., Ltd., a leading Chinese food ingredients and additives distribution company.
- Brenntag on its acquisition of a majority interest in, and joint venture with, the Tee Hai Group, a leading chemicals distribution company in Singapore.
- Brenntag on its acquisition of a majority interest in, and joint venture with, EPChem Group, a leading chemicals distribution company in Singapore and SE Asia.
- Brenntag on its acquisition of a majority interest in, and joint venture with, TAT Group, Singapore, a leading chemicals distribution company in Singapore and SE Asia.
- Noble Group on its US$3.5 billion debt-for-equity restructuring of Noble Group. This deal was awarded "Restructuring Deal of the Year" at the IFLR Asia-Pacific Awards 2019 and "Finance Deal of the Year: Insolvency and Restructuring" at the Asia Legal Awards 2019.
- FKS Food & Agri, the leading Indonesian agribusiness, on a significant minority investment by a Japanese strategic investor.
- Puma Energy on the disposal of its Indonesian businesses.
Quoted in "Southeast Asia's renewables boom offers fresh options", Asian Investor, June 2022
Leading Lawyer/recommended practitioner in Corporate/M&A: International – Singapore by Chambers Asia Pacific 2018-2022
Leading Lawyer/recommended practitioner in Corporate and M&A: Foreign Firms – Singapore by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019-2022
Leading Lawyer/recommended practitioner in Corporate and M&A: Foreign Firms – Indonesia by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019-2022