Jon Bowden is a Partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity practice group in Singapore.
Jon regularly advises global and Asia-based private equity sponsors and other financial investors in connection with their transactions across jurisdictions in Asia and globally. Jon also advises large MNCs and financial institutions on a variety of cross-border private and public M&A transactions, joint ventures and corporate finance transactions.
Jon has over 15 years of corporate/M&A experience. He started his career in London and has been based in Singapore for over 8 years.
Jon is the Head of the Vietnam Country Group of White & Case.
Jon chairs the Singapore office’s pro bono and CSR committee and is actively involved in the firm’s regional pro bono efforts.
- LOLC Holdings, as part of an investor consortium, on the sale of its shareholding in PRASAC MicroFinance Institution Limited (PRASAC) to Kookmin Bank Co. Ltd, the largest ever Cambodian M&A deal by value and one of the largest ever overseas investments by a Korean bank. The transaction won "Best of the Frontier Markets" award at the FinanceAsia Awards 2020.
- Schneider Electric, a global player in energy management and automation, on its US$2.1 billion (₹14,000 crore) acquisition of Larsen & Toubro Electrical & Automation, and on the subsequent consortium arrangements between Schneider Electric and Temasek Holdings Private Ltd. The transaction was named "Cross-Border M&A Deal of the Year (Over US$1 billion)" by the M&A Advisor (2020).
- Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited on its US$2.3 billion acquisition of a majority shareholding in Bank Permata Tbk from Standard Chartered Bank and PT Astra International Tbk. This transaction has been named "M&A Deal of the Year" by ALB Indonesia Law Awards 2020.
Brookfield Renewable Partners
- Brookfield on the disposal of 9 operating solar plants in Thailand to Global Power Synergy Public Company (GPSC), the power generation arm of Thailand's PTT Group.
- Brookfield on the disposal of its solar energy business in Malaysia.
Barings Private Equity Asia
- Baring Private Equity Asia on its acquisition a 28 percent stake in PT Nitrasanata Dharma, a business in Indonesia which operates the Jakarta Eye Center and is comprised of specialist eye care hospitals and clinics and consultation and surgical facilities.
- Baring Private Equity Asia on its investment in Cath Kidston Group Limited.
- FWD Group Management Holdings Limited on its acquisition of a shareholding in FWD Takaful (formerly HSBC Amanah Takaful (Malaysia) Berhad) from HSBC Insurance (Asia Pacific) Holdings Limited.
bolttech / Pacific Century Group
- Pacific Century Group on its acquisition of AMS Singapore Pte. Ltd., a leading insurance solutions operator in Asia-Pacific.
- PAG on the establishment of a co-investment platform with respect to the telecommunications sector in the Philippines.
- VinaCapital on the establishment of a co-investment platform with a leading regional SE Asian conglomerate.
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC) on its US$1.5 billion acquisition of a 40 percent shareholding in BTPN, a leading Indonesian listed bank.
- ESR on the establishment of RJLF II Fund, a fund focused on real estate development of logistics and distribution projects, with Ping An, Equity International, EPF, Allianz as investors.
- ESR on the establishment of the RJLF III Fund, a fund focused on real estate development of logistics and distribution projects.
PT Avia Avian
- PT Avia Avian, one of Indonesia's leading paint manufacturers, on a recent pre-IPO minority investment by a leading sovereign wealth fund.
FKS Food & Agri
- FKS Food & Agri, the leading Indonesian agribusiness, on a significant minority investment by a Japanese strategic investor.
- Puma Energy on the disposal of its Indonesian businesses.
- Brenntag, the global market leader in chemical distribution headquartered in Germany, on its acquisition of and joint venture with the Tee Hai Group, a leading chemicals distribution company in Singapore.
- Brenntag on its acquisition of and joint venture with EPChem Group, a leading chemicals distribution company in Singapore.
- Brenntag on its acquisition of and joint venture with TAT Group, Singapore, a leading chemicals distribution company in Singapore.
- Saudi Aramco on its US$14 billion joint venture with Petronas to develop and finance Petronas’s Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development (RAPID) in Malaysia.
Babilou SAS and Copeba
- Babilou SAS, the leading global child-care centre operator based in Europe and headquartered in France, on its acquisition of 70% of the Nurture Education Group, a child-care centre operator based in Singapore and subsequent acquisition of a chain of kindergarten child care centres in Singapore.
GlobalWafers Co. Ltd.
- GlobalWafers Co. Ltd., a global leader in the manufacture of silicon wafers for the semiconductor industry, on its US$683 million acquisition of SunEdison Semiconductor Limited.
Pivotal Software, Inc.
- Pivotal Software, Inc., a data and analytics software and services provider, in connection with its acquisition of the software development and services business of Neo Innovation, Inc. and Neo Innovation (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.
PT XL Axiata
- PT XL Axiata, an Indonesian telecommunications operator, on its US$267 million sale and leaseback of 2,500 telecoms towers to PT Profesional Telekomunikasi Indonesia (Protelindo).
- Various international developers in respect of solar and wind power projects in Vietnam.
Leading Lawyer/recommended practitioner in Corporate/M&A: International – Singapore by Chambers Asia Pacific (2018-2021)
'Next Generation Partner' for Corporate and M&A: Foreign Firms - Singapore and Indonesia by Legal 500 (2021)
'Next Generation Partner' for Corporate and M&A: Foreign Firms - Singapore by Legal 500 (2020)
'Next Generation Lawyer' for Corporate/M&A: Foreign Firms in Indonesia by Legal 500 (2019 and 2020)