Luke E. Laumann
Luke Laumann is a partner in the Firm's Mergers & Acquisitions practice group. Mr. Laumann represents domestic and international buyers and sellers in private and public domestic, and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and private investments in a broad range of industries.
Luke was a recipient of a "40 under 40 Emerging Leaders Award" by The M&A Advisor (2018). He is also listed as a leading individual for Private Equity in the United States by Euromoney (2021).
Representative transactions include the representation of:
- Fortis Inc. (TSX: FTS), in numerous transactions, including:
- its US$11.3 billion acquisition of ITC Holdings Corp. (NYSE: ITC) and its related US$1.2 billion partnership with GIC, a transaction which was named "Canada: M&A Deal of the Year" by AmLaw;
- its sale of ten hydroelectric facilities to Energy Ottawa;
- its US$4.3 billion acquisition of UNS Energy Corporation (NYSE:UNS); and
- its US$1.5 billion acquisition of CH Energy Group Inc. (NYSE: CHG), a transaction which was named "Energy Deal of the Year" by The M&A Advisor.
- Quad-C Management, Inc. and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions, including:
- the acquisitions of MNX Logistics, Village Gourmet, Boulder Scientific Company, AIT Worldwide Logistics, Pharm-Olam International, Rainbow Early Education, Krayden, Inmark Packaging, VMG Health, Wolf Holdings Organization, Inc., C.S.U. Operations, McKissock, L.P., Engineered Fastener Company, Unitrans International Logistics, Panther Logistics, and the freight forwarding business from Fiege;
- its merger-of-equals between its portfolio company Joerns and a portfolio company of Aurora Capital, WoundCo Holdings, Inc.; and
- its sale of AIT Worldwide Logistics, Pharm-Olam, EFC, Wolf, Generation Brands, Rainbow Early Education and its interest in Asset Acceptance (NASDAQ: AACC).
- Macquarie Infrastructure Partners in numerous transactions, including:
- its US$957 million acquisition of Lakeshore Recycling Systems, the largest private waste company in Illinois;
- the US$2.9 billion acquisition of Cincinnati Bell (NYSE: CBB);
- the sale of Waste Industries;
- its investment in Aligned Energ, a leading data center provider;
- its acquisition of BlueBird Network, a leading transport fiber network and internet provider;
- Its investment in Netrality Data Centers; and
- the US$1.2 billion sale of WCA Waste Corporation to GFL Environmental Inc.
- Macquarie Infrastructure Corporation (NYSE: MIC) in the US$514 million sale of the MIC Hawaii businesses, a regulated gas utility and unregulated propane distributor, to an affiliate of Argo Infrastructure Partners LP.
- Cobepa S.A. in numerous transactions, including:
- its investment in Reaction Biology Corporation, an industry- leading provider of drug discovery services as well as the financing of the transaction;
- its acquisition of BioAgilytix, a leading bioanalytical testing laboratory specializing in large molecule bioanalysis;
- BioAgilytix's acquisitions of Cambridge Biomedical, MicroConstants Inc., and 360biolabs, and the subsequent recapitalization of BioAgilytix;
- its investment in Gen II Fund Services, LLC, and the subsequent recapitalization of Gen II; and
- its investment in Corsearch.
- Harvest Partners and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions, including:
- the acquisitions of Granicus, MRI Software, PRO Unlimited, VetCor, TruckPro, Precision Door Services, Pimlico Group, Brainnet Group, PeopleTicker and WillHire;
- its partnership with Omers Private Equity in the take-private of Epiq Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: EPIQ); and
- its sale of Neighborly, ProUnlimited, Encanto, APC and TruckPro.
- Dominus Capital L.P. and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions, including:
- its investments in Uptime Institute, Consolidated Equipment Group, Seaga, Surface Preparation Technologies, EMPG, L2 Brands, Cincinnati Fan, BluSky, SRP, HarBro, Intelliteach, W.F. Taylor and Lockmasters Inc.; and
- the sale of its portfolio company, BluSky Restoration Contractors, Masterbuilt/Kamado Joe, Cincinnati Fan and Intelliteach.
- Global Infrastructure Partners in its acquisition of Medallion Gathering & Processing, LLC, the owner of the largest, privately held crude oil transportation system in the Midland Basin of West Texas. The Energy & Minerals Group and Laredo Petroleum, Inc. (NYSE: LPI) for a cash purchase price of US$1.825 billion plus additional cash consideration that is linked to GIP's realized profits at exit.
- IFM Investors in:
- its US$10.3 billion take private of Buckeye Partners, L.P. (NYSE: BPL); and
- the acquisition by IFM Global Infrastructure Fund, Vitol Group, and Vitol Investment Partnership II Ltd of Buckeye Partners LP's 50% equity interest in VTTI BV, the leading global independent provider of crude oil, refined product, and other petroleum storage, in consideration of cash proceeds of US$975 million.
- Roark and its portfolio company Arby's Restaurant Group in the US$2.9 billion take-private of Buffalo Wild Wings, Inc. (NASDAQ: BWLD).
- Toys "R" Us on WHP Global's investment in TRU Kids Parent LLC, parent company to the Toys "R" Us, Babies "R" Us, Geoffrey the Giraffe brands and more than 20 established related consumer toy and baby brands. TRU Kids Parent LLC was controlled by Ares Management LLC, Solus Alternative Asset Management LP and Franklin Mutual Advisers LLC. WHP Global is a portfolio company of Oaktree Capital Management.
- Ares Management in the formation of VMO Aircraft Leasing a company with a $1.1B capital base to acquire and lease commercial aircraft.
- AMP Capital in:
- the acquisition of Everstream Solutions LLC, a super-regional network service provider of fiber-based Ethernet, internet and data center solutions; and
- its 50-50 partnership with Invenergy on a portfolio of natural gas-fired power generation facilities.
- B. Riley Principal Merger Corp. II, a SPAC, in its US$550 million business combination with Eos Energy Services LLC, a leading manufacturer of zinc hybrid cathode battery energy storage systems.
- BlackRock and First Reserve in acquiring a 45 percent interest in two natural gas pipelines in Mexico from PMI, a unit of state-owned oil and gas company Petróleos Mexicanos (PEMEX).
- The Carlyle Group in its take-private of Blyth, Inc. (NYSE: BTH).
- Omnicare, Inc. (NYSE: OCR) in its US$12.7 billion sale to CVS Health.
- Riverstone Holdings LLC in numerous transactions, including in a credit bid for substantially all of the assets of Fairway Energy Partners, LLC and its affiliates, a Houston-based midstream oil storage business, in a Section 363 bankruptcy sale.
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited ("ICBC"), the largest commercial bank in China (and the largest bank in the world in terms of total market capitalization), in the acquisition of an 80 percent interest in The Bank of East Asia (USA). The transaction, which marks the first-ever acquisition of a US bank by a Chinese bank, was featured as one of the "Most Innovative M&A Transactions in the United States" by The Financial Times (2012). The transaction also received an "M&A Deal of the Year Award" by The M&A Advisor (2012) and Asian-MENA Counsel (2012) and was named "Outbound M&A Deal of the Year" by China Business Law Journal (2012).
- Univar Inc., a portfolio company of private equity firms CVC Capital Partners and Clayton Dubilier & Rice, LLC, in its acquisition of Magnablend Holdings, Inc., a custom chemical blending, manufacturing and packaging company.
- Pilot Flying J, a portfolio company of private equity firm CVC Capital Partners, in its acquisition of a controlling interest in Maxum Petroleum, Inc., a leading independent energy logistics company.
- Classic Party Rentals in its sale of substantially all of its assets pursuant to a bankruptcy auction process.
- Dynegy Inc. and (i) its subsidiaries in structuring and implementing an internal reorganization to align Dynegy's asset base to facilitate refinancing in the aggregate amount of US$1.7 billion for the CoalCo and the GasCo subsidiaries of Dynegy; and (ii) with respect to the corporate aspects of the chapter 11 restructuring of approximately US$4 billion of debt obligations.
- Manabi S.A., a Brazilian mining company, in its US$300 million second round private placement of Class B preferred shares.
- Acumen Fund and Grameen Foundation in their quasi-equity in Juhudi Kilimo Company Limited, a Kenyan microfinance company providing loan products to smallholder farmers.
- HudBay Minerals Inc. in its listing on the New York Stock Exchange.
Leading Lawyer, Private Equity in the United States, Euromoney 2021
Recipient of a "40 under 40 Emerging Leaders Award", The M&A Advisor, 2018