Raymond F. Bogenrief
Ray is a partner in White & Case's global M&A practice, based in Chicago. Ray focuses his practice on complex business transactions, particularly leveraged buyouts for private equity funds and domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions. He has represented some of the largest names in private equity in transactions ranging in size from several million dollars to more than US$5 billion.
Ray also represents public companies, private companies and venture capital firms in negotiating and structuring acquisitions and divestitures, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital investments, equity and debt financings, recapitalizations and restructurings, and executive compensation and incentive equity matters, as well as advising on general corporate governance and compliance.
Ray is the General Counsel and a member of the Board of Directors of the USO of Illinois. He is also a member of UNICEF's Midwest Regional Board of Directors and the Northwestern Gridiron Network.
magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
Representative matters prior to joining White & Case include the representation of:
Vista Equity Partners, a leading private equity firm focused on software, data, and technology-enabled businesses, and its affiliates, in numerous transactions, including the following:
- its joint venture with Bain Capital in the merger of four innovative software businesses: Superion, TriTech Software Systems along with Zuercher Technologies, and the public sector and healthcare business of Aptean;
- its merger of its portfolio companies, PowerSchool and PeopleAdmin (each providers of educational software), concurrent with an investment from Onex Corp;
- its acquisition of Regulatory DataCorp, Inc. (RDC), a leader across the governance, risk, and compliance industry, from Bain Capital Ventures and others;
- the acquisition of Malauzai, a provider of mobile and Internet banking solutions for community financial institutions, by Finastra, a portfolio company of Vista Equity Partners; and
- the acquisition of Public Safety Corp., a technology and technology-enabled services company focused on state and local government public safety projects and programs, by Superion LLC, a portfolio company of Vista Equity Partners.
Clearlake Capital in its joint venture with Vista Equity Partners in EagleView Technologies, a leading provider of aerial imagery and property data analytics.
Falconhead Capital in the sale of substantially all of the assets of Rita's Holdings, LLC, a leading Italian ice and frozen treat franchisor, to an affiliate of Argosy Capital.
L Squared Capital Partners, an investment firm focusing on long-term investments in leading growth companies operating in targeted sectors, in numerous transactions, including the following:
- its investment in Virtium Technology, a solutions-driven provider of industrial memory and embedded solid-state drive (SSDs) storage products; and
- in its acquisition of Teaching Strategies, a leading provider of early childhood educational resources, including curriculum and web-based assessment products.
Levine Leichtman Capital Partners in its acquisition of Allied Aerofoam Products, a fabricator of niche foam products across an array of end markets and applications (e.g. pet beds, packaging and specialty children's furniture).
Madison Dearborn Partners in its divestiture of BWAY Corporation, one of the largest makers of rigid metal and plastic containers in North America.
Monomoy Capital Partners in its acquisition of Escort Inc ., a market leader in the design, manufacture and distribution of radar and laser detectors and automotive accessories.
Lee Equity Partners in its acquisition of Paragon Industries, Inc., a leading manufacturer of oil Country tubular goods and line pipes.
Macquarie Capital, a global provider of banking, financial, advisory, investment and funds management services, in numerous transactions, including the following:
- its acquisition of Fox-Pitt Kelton Cochran Caronia Waller LLC, an investment bank specializing in services for financial institutions; and
- its sale of Petermann Partners, a provider of student transportation services in the U.S.
Waud Capital Partners in its acquisition of Acadia Healthcare, a leading provider of inpatient behavioral healthcare services.
Olympus Partners, a leading private equity firm, in numerous transactions, including the following:
- its acquisition of Churchill Financial, a leading middle market focused commercial finance company;
- its acquisition of NPC International, the largest Pizza Hut franchisee and the largest franchisee of any restaurant concept in the U.S.; and
- its acquisition of Atlas Industrial Service LLC, a provider of mill services to the global steel industry.
Thoma Bravo, LLC, a leading private equity investment firm, in its acquisition of Plato Learning, Inc., a leading provider of instructional technology for the K-adult market.
GTCR, one of the nation's leading private equity firms, in its investment in Ironshore, Inc., a leading specialty insurance company.
Madison Dearborn Partners, as part of an investor group, in the acquisition of Nuveen Investments, a leading provider of diversified investment services to institutional and high-net-worth investors.
Leading Lawyer for M&A and Private Equity in the United States, Euromoney's Expert Guide, 2018
Recognized for M&A/Corporate and Commercial, The Legal 500 United States, 2015