Sebastian focuses on transactions and regulatory matters. He understands the commercial drivers of transactions, finds innovative and pragmatic solutions and is known for his responsive attitude and determination to get the job done in a result-oriented and efficient manner.
He advises financial institutions, corporates and financial investors with respect to domestic and cross-border private and public M&A, complex corporate restructurings and financial regulatory laws, including banking, investment services, payment, asset management and insurance regulations. He also specializes in tech and fintech transactions covering both, transactional and regulatory aspects.
As an experienced financial institutions lawyer, Sebastian has established a working relationship with the ECB, the German financial supervisory authority (BaFin) and Deutsche Bundesbank. He is an adjunct lecturer at the University of Applied Sciences of Deutsche Bundesbank (Hochschule der Deutschen Bundesbank) and an author of numerous articles concerning regulatory and corporate law.
Before joining the firm, Sebastian worked for another international law firm in its Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg and New York offices.
Selected Transactional Experience
- Advised x+bricks Group on acquisition of a portfolio of 120 grocery-anchored properties worth € 500 million
- Advised ADO Properties S.A. ("ADO") on its
- voluntary public takeover offer in the form of a share-for-share offer to the shareholders of ADLER Real Estate Aktiengesellschaft ("ADLER");
- exercise of a call-option agreement with the mayor shareholder of CONSUS Real Estate AG ("CONSUS");
- voluntary public takeover offer and delisting tender offer to the shareholders of WESTGRUND Aktiengesellschaft ("WESTGRUND"); and
- integration of ADO, ADLER, CONSUS and WESTGRUND.
- Advised Gategroup on the acquisition of Lufthansa's LSG Sky Chefs’ EU business from Lufthansa*
- Advised Geely on the Series C financing round of Volocopter*
- Advised GIC on the Series D1 and D2 financing rounds of N26*
- Advised Association of German Banks - Deposit Protection Fund on the sale of Düsseldorfer Hypothekenbank to Aareal Bank*
- Advised Nets on its acquisition of Concardis from Bain Capital and Advent
- Advised Deutsche Bank on the reorganisation of its asset management activities and the public listing of DWS*
- Advised HPS Investment Partners on the acquisition of IKB Leasing from IKB Deutsche Industriebank*
- Advised Viridium (previously Heidelberger Leben) on the acquisition of the life insurance business of Protektor*
- Advised EQT on the sale of BSN Medical to SCA*
Selected Regulatory Experience
- Advised banks, investment firms, payment institutions, asset managers, insurance undertakings and corporates on a broad range of regulatory projects and topics including: Brexit and corporate reorganisation projects, ECB supervision, licensing and exemptions, crisis situations and strategic business decisions, recovery and resolution, regulatory consolidation and Art. 7, 8 CRR and LE waivers, corporate governance of regulated institutions, internal and special audits, onsite-inspections and compliance matters (e.g. with respect to securities laws or AML/AFC), cross-border financial services, capital and liquidity requirements and other regulatory requirements, German bank separation rules and compensation requirements*
* Matters prior to working for White & Case
Principles of consolidated supervision, Handbook banking supervisory law. Ed. Binder/Glos/Riepe. 2nd. Ed., 2020, 209-274
§ 24a German Banking Act, Commentary KWG and CRR. Ed. Beck/Samm/Kookemoor, 213th ed. May 2020
§ 53d German Banking Act, Commentary KWG and CRR. Ed. Beck/Samm/Kookemoor, 206th ed. June 2019
Brexit, MiFIR and MiFID II: Cross-border investment services provided by third country firms and applicability of organizational and conduct rules, ZBB 2018, 197-208
Cross-border business of UK credit institutions and investment firms with German clients in the light of Brexit, MiFIR and MiFID II, European Business Law Review 2018, 425-463
Principles of consolidated supervision, Handbook banking supervisory law. Ed. Binder/Glos/Riepe. 2018, 181-240
Credit institutions and investment firms as single-tier board European Company (Societas Europaea), ZBB 2017, 76-84
Impact of Brexit on the European passport for credit institutions and investment firms, WM 2017, 120-129
Banks need a market for NPLs, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 21. December 2016, 25
Financial holding companies and consolidated supervision of financial holding groups, BKR 2016, 495-499
Intermediate EU parent undertaking requirement for non-EU GSIBs, Oxford business law blog, December 2016
SREP capital ratios and due process, ZBB 2016, 342-353
Comment on the judgement of the German federal court of justice of 19. February 2013 (II ZR 56/12) – impact of a void election of a supervisory board member, NJW 2013, 1539