Tom is an English law-qualified associate in the International Arbitration group in Paris.
With White & Case since 2010, he has represented clients as counsel in commercial arbitrations with governing laws in a range of common and civil law jurisdictions, as well as in investment-treaty arbitrations involving international law.
He has experience in arbitrations under the ICC, UNCITRAL, SIAC, and LCIA Rules, with seats in jurisdictions including England, Switzerland, Singapore, France, the Netherlands, and Sweden.
In these representations, he has gained experience of oral advocacy and cross-examination, as well as advising clients in relation to parallel court and arbitration proceedings in numerous jurisdictions.
Over the past few years, he has had particular experience in disputes arising under long-term gas sale and purchase agreements in Europe and the Middle East, as well as various disputes under common-law systems.
Tom has also acted as Tribunal Secretary in arbitrations with English law as the governing law under the LCIA Rules (with London as the seat).
- Representing a Middle Eastern seller of gas in a successful ICC arbitration relating to the price of gas under a long-term supply contract (obtaining full dismissal of the counterparty's claims);
- Representing a leading European buyer of gas in an ongoing UNCITRAL arbitration relating to a price revision under a long-term supply contract;
- Representing an Asian contractor in an ongoing SIAC arbitration regarding defective works in the construction of a coal-fired power plant in South-East Asia;
- Representing Flemingo DutyFree in a successful UNCITRAL arbitration claim against Poland under the Poland-India bilateral investment treaty and related enforcement and annulment proceedings in various jurisdictions;
- Advising a Western European seller of gas in relation to a successful ICC arbitration claim under a long-term supply contract with an East Asian counterparty;
- Representing Eastern European States in ICC arbitrations brought by foreign investors with English governing law and London seats (cases settled);
- Representing a South-East Asian company in an ICC arbitration relating to a manufacturing joint venture with a Central European company, involving parallel arbitration and litigation proceedings in multiple jurisdictions (case settled);
- Advising a Middle Eastern seller of gas in relation to potential joint venture disputes involving agreements under English law and certain civil law systems.
Tom has also worked in the Dispute Resolution Group in London, gaining experience in commercial litigation proceedings before the English High Court, the Privy Council, Eastern Caribbean and Cypriot courts. and
Tom also regularly advises clients on the drafting of dispute resolution clauses and settlement agreements.
Balancing Act(s): Arbitration Act and Senior Courts Act, New Law Journal, 27 September 2013, (co-author with Rian Matthews)