Luxembourg is the largest investment fund centre in Europe and the second largest in the world after the United States, internationally recognized for its modern legal and regulatory framework designed to foster business development.
Most of the transactions we advise on in Europe include elements of Luxembourg law, due to the prevalence of Luxembourg holding company structures. We have gained a comprehensive understanding of Luxembourg’s legal, regulatory and economic environment.
We assist clients investing in Luxembourg as well as Luxembourg-based clients on their ambitions to expand internationally, enabling their investing and cross-border transactional activities. Clients look to us for guidance to solve problems, evaluate new opportunities, comply with complex regulations and implement essential business strategies. Our clients include major corporations, leading financial institutions and alternative investment players (private equity, real estate, etc.) as well as privately held companies.
Our Luxembourg practice advises on a broad range of areas of expertise, with a particular focus on private equity, mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance, capital markets, restructuring, tax, corporate litigation and EU financial service regulations.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
"The firm's Luxembourg desk assists international clients with investments in Luxembourg, as well as acting for Luxembourgish clients on cross-border transactions.""The team boasts significant experience in cross-border M&A transactions, as well as in private equity and restructuring mandates."Chambers Global 2021
Ranked #1 for Inbound M&A in Luxembourg
by deal value in 2020 (Bloomberg M&A League Table)
Ranked #3 for outbound M&A in Luxembourg
by deal volume in 2020 (Bloomberg M&A League Table)
Ranked #3 for Private Equity in Luxembourg by deal volume in 2019 (Bloomberg PE League Table)
Recommended for Private Equity in Luxembourg
Leaders League 2021
Globally recognized practice: International Private Clients
Chambers Global, 2018-2019
Luxembourg address: 14 rue Eugène Ruppert, L-2453 Luxembourg
We advised Hg, a specialist private equity investor focused on software and services businesses
- in connection with its investment in smartTrade Technologies, a software dedicated to trading and finance, and
- on its investment in the Septeo Group, a European leader in LegalTech based in Montpellier, France.
We advised privately-held investment company Cobepa
- on the sale by Five Arrows and BIP Investment Partners of their 33% stake in the Socotec Group to Clayton Dubilier & Rice, and
- in the negotiations with Clayton Dubilier & Rice to formalize their relationship as future shareholders of the Socotec Group, with Cobepa continuing to be the group's controlling shareholder.
Oaktree Capital Management
- We advised private equity fund Oaktree Capital Management in the €115,200,000 quasi equity financing of the hotel asset manager Paris Inn, developing and managing a portfolio of 35 hotels in order to refinance certain of its existing indebtedness and new development projects in France.
- We advised Oaktree Capital Management, acting through its investment vehicles OCM Luxembourg ECS S.à r.l. as arranger and ECS Finaria S.à.r.l. as underwriter, on the English and Italian law aspects of the private placement of notes purchased by them and issued by Finaria S.p.A.
We advised private equity investor Triton Partners on its €943,000,000 sale of DSI Underground, the world's leading supplier of ground support products, systems and solutions for the underground mining and tunnelling industry to Sandvik Group, a high-tech global engineering group offering products and services that enhance customer productivity, profitability and safety.
Setting up a new PE fund in Luxembourg
Advising the shareholders of Olma Partners SARL with respect to the setting up of Olma Private Equity Fund II, a new private equity fund in Luxembourg (formed as a reserved alternative investment fund (RAIF)).
We advised Cabot Credit Management Limited on the issuance of €400 million aggregate principal amount of Senior Secured Floating Rate Notes due 2024 by Cabot Financial (Luxembourg) II S.A. The notes have been offered and sold pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S under the U.S. Securities Act of 1933, and listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
We advised E.ON SE on the issuance of Green Bonds with an aggregate principal amount of €1.5 billion. The notes were admitted to trading on the regulated market of the Luxembourg Stock Exchange. E.ON SE will use the net proceeds of the issuance exclusively for Qualified Green Projects as defined in its Green Bond Framework.
CVC Capital Partners
We advised CVC Capital Partners on the financing and M&A aspects of the acquisition of 51.8 percent of publicly listed Recordati SpA (through FIMEI SpA, the family holding company) and subsequent tender, Italy's largest-ever LBO. The debt financing included an innovative dual-tranche €1.3 billion high yield bond issuance by Luxembourg company Rossini Srl.