Global law firm White & Case LLP today announced its sponsorship of 14 Jessup competitions as part of the 53rd annual Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition.
This is the fifth consecutive year White & Case has sponsored various competitions as a Global Partner of the International Law Students Association (ILSA), which administers the Jessup. It is the third year the Firm is sponsoring the International Rounds, officially known as the White & Case International Rounds, at which teams compete for the White & Case Jessup Cup.
"Each year the Jessup grows stronger and larger than the year before," said White & Case Chairman Hugh Verrier. "We hope our support will continue to help take the competition to a higher plane."
The Firm's sponsorship spans the globe and covers competitions in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Georgia, Poland, Hong Kong, Russia, Slovakia, South Africa, the United Kingdom and the Washington, DC Mid-Atlantic Regional Competition, as well as the White & Case International Rounds.
Highlights for the 53rd season include:
(1) 600 teams registered from 86 countries
(2) 55 countries will hold national or regional rounds
(3) China will celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Chinese Jessup Competition
(4) Switzerland and Kuwait will hold national competitions for the first time
(5) Sierra Leone, the Bahamas, Luxembourg and Gambia have teams participating in the Jessup for the first time
Jessup is the world's largest moot court competition. More than 2,000 law students participate each year, representing more than 80 countries. Students are required to present oral and written arguments on a hypothetical international dispute before a simulated International Court of Justice. This year's case involves timely legal issues, including the international standing of a state immediately following a coup d'état, international responsibility for the use of force by a state while taking part in a regional military operation and the destruction of a cultural site.
Most teams will compete first in national and regional competitions to earn the right to advance to the 2012 White & Case International Rounds, which will be held March 25-31 in Washington, DC.
Photos and up-to-the-minute results will be posted throughout the White & Case International Rounds at www.jessup.whitecase.com.
Following is the schedule for the 14 White & Case-sponsored 2012 Jessup competitions:
(1) Australia, Canberra, 1-5 February
(2) Brazil, Porto Alegre, 27-29 February
(3) Canada, Montreal, Quebec, 7-10 March
(4) China, Beijing, 22-26 February
(5) Czech Republic, Prague, 18 February
(6) Georgia, Tbilisi, 11-12 February
(7) Poland, Warsaw, TBA
(8) Hong Kong, 24 February
(9) Russia, Moscow, 1-5 February
(10) Slovakia, TBA
(11) South Africa, Johannesburg, 2-5 February
(12) United Kingdom, London, 16-19 February
(13) United States, Washington, DC, Mid-Atlantic Regional Competition, 23-26 February
(14) White & Case Jessup International Rounds, Washington, DC, 25-31 March
The International Law Students Association (ILSA) is a worldwide association of law students and legal professionals dedicated to the promotion of international law. In addition to the Jessup Competition, ILSA administers a variety of educational programs, including the organization of annual conferences, the publication of various written works and periodicals, and the global coordination of student chapter organizations devoted to international law.
For more information please speak to your local media contact.