Sayak Maity is a Partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity practice group, based in Singapore.
With a particular focus on financial sponsors, Sayak has strong experience of advising on corporate governance, private equity, joint ventures, acquisitions, disposals and strategic investments across a wide range of sectors including infrastructure, technology and e-commerce, pharmaceuticals, healthcare and manufacturing across India and globally.
- The Carlyle Group in its:
- US$490 million acquisition of a strategic 20 percent stake in Piramal Pharma, the pharmaceutical division of Piramal Enterprises Limited, one of India's leading diversified companies, with a presence in financial services, information management and pharmaceuticals; and
- US$240 million acquisition of a controlling stake in SeQuent Scientific Limited, the largest pure-play animal healthcare company in India.
- L Catterton in its investment in Future Lifestyle Fashions Limited.
- TPG Capital in its investment in Sai Lifesciences Limited.
- Karvy Computershare Private Limited and its shareholders in the acquisition of a controlling stake by General Atlantic Singapore Fund Pte. Ltd. in Karvy Computershare Private Limited.
- General Atlantic in its investment in Byju's Learning Platform.
- General Atlantic in relation to its investments in House of Anita Dongre and Citius Tech.
- Funds advised by Warburg Pincus, LLC in its investment in Laurus Labs Private Limited.
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan Board (OTPP) in its investment in Jasper Infotech Private Limited ('Snapdeal'), OTPP's first investment in India.
Joint Ventures, M&A and Others
- Tata Digital in its acquisition of a controlling stake in Supermarket Grocery Supplies Private Limited (which, together with its subsidiaries, operates India's largest e-grocery business under the brand 'Big Basket') for ~US$1.2 billion.
- Tata Digital in its acquisition of a controlling stake in one of India's leading e-pharmacies operating under the brand '1MG' for ~US$250 million.
- Tata Steel, as lead in house counsel, in its US$632 million acquisition of the steel business of Usha Martin Limited.
- Tata Power, as lead in house counsel, in its US$800 million acquisition of a majority stake in Prayagraj Power Generation Company Limited.
- The shareholders of Famy Care Limited on the sale of their stake to Mylan for ~$800mn.
- Igarashi Electric Works Limited, Japan in its indirect acquisition (in consortium with funds advised by Tata Capital Limited) of a controlling interest in Igarashi Motors Limited from funds advised by the Blackstone Group.
- Tata Sons Limited in its joint venture with AirAsia Investment Limited and Telestra Tradeplace Private Limited for operating a new domestic airline in India under the 'Air Asia' brand.
- Tata Power Limited and its affiliates in relation to their joint venture (and various ancillary commercial arrangements) in Georgia with Clean Energy AS, Norsk Mineral AS and the International Finance Corporation in relation to a cascade hydro power project located on the Adjaristskali river in Georgia with planned installed capacity of up to 400 MW.
*Includes experience prior to joining White & Case.
Ranked as a 'Notable Practitioner' for M&A in India by IFLR1000 2021