Charles McConnell is a partner in White & Case's Asia Debt Finance and Restructuring practice, based in Singapore. He is qualified to practice English law and Singapore law.
Charles has extensive experience in cross-border financings in South East Asia, including leveraged and acquisition financings, fund level financings, and structured and corporate financing transactions. He has established deep client relationship with banks, credit funds, sponsors and corporates. He also advises banks, credit funds and corporates in non-contentious insolvency and restructuring matters.
Charles is sensitive to commercial priorities and focused on key issues. He is recognized for Singapore Banking & Finance: International by Chambers Asia Pacific 2022 and for Singapore Banking and Finance: Foreign Firms by Asia Pacific Legal 500 2021. He is described by clients as being "very detailed and fights hard for the client" (Chambers Asia Pacific 2022), and receives praise from clients for his "knowledge of the current market situation, which is important for commercial awareness, and his fundamental knowledge of legal provisions." (Chambers Asia Pacific 2021).
Charles is an Associate of the Insolvency Practitioners Association of Singapore (IPAS).
Charles' experience includes advising:
- The mandated lead arranger and original lender on a US$125 million term loan facility with an additional US$125 million accordion facility provided to an industrial and logistics real estate developer in Vietnam.
- The arranger on the restructuring of various margin financings in respect of Singapore and Indonesian listed shares.
- The arranger on the recapitalization of Vietnamese educational assets by a private equity sponsor.*
- The arranger on back-leverage on a minority stake acquisition of Philippines medical assets by a private equity sponsor.*
- The arranger on the take private of a healthcare provider in Singapore by a private equity sponsor and the founding family.*
- The arranger on the sponsor backed acquisition financing of a Vietnamese integrated hotel and casino.*
- BNP Paribas on the US$95 million fixed rate secured notes due 2034 and green long term facility agreement structured as a loan repackaging in respect of the development of sustainable natural rubber plantations in heavily degraded landscapes in Jambi Samatra and East Kalimantan provinces of Indonesia.*
- The arrangers on the refinancing of existing syndicated term loans and revolving loans of an international engineering group owned by a private equity sponsor.*
- The arrangers on the take private of a Taiwanese chemicals group by a private equity sponsor and the founding family.*
- A private equity sponsor on various senior and holdco PIK financings of educational assets in Singapore and the PRC.*
*Experience prior to joining White & Case.