Charles McConnell is a Local Partner in White & Case's Asia Banking and Restructuring practice, based in Singapore. He is qualified to practice English law and Singapore law.
Charles has extensive experience in cross-border financings in South East Asia, including leveraged and acquisition financings, fund level financings, and structured and corporate financing transactions. He has established deep client relationship with banks, credit funds, sponsors and corporates. He also advises banks, credit funds and corporates in non-contentious insolvency and restructuring matters.
Charles is sensitive to commercial priorities and focused on key issues. He is recognized for Singapore Banking & Finance: International by Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 and for Singapore Banking and Finance: Foreign Firms by Asia Pacific Legal 500 2020. He is described by clients as "very experienced, very knowledgeable, supremely hardworking and responsive" (Asia Pacific Legal 500 2020), and "technically competent, affable and possessed of a solid work ethic" (Chambers Asia Pacific 2020).
Charles' experience* includes advising:
- The arranger on the recapitalization of Vietnamese educational assets by a private equity sponsor.
- The arranger on back-leverage on a minority stake acquisition of Philippines medical assets by a private equity sponsor.
- The arranger on the take private of a healthcare provider in Singapore by a private equity sponsor and the founding family.
- The arranger on the sponsor backed acquisition financing of a Vietnamese integrated hotel and casino.
- BNP Paribas on the US$95 million fixed rate secured notes due 2034 and green long term facility agreement structured as a loan repackaging in respect of the development of sustainable natural rubber plantations in heavily degraded landscapes in Jambi Samatra and East Kalimantan provinces of Indonesia.
- The arrangers on the refinancing of existing syndicated term loans and revolving loans of an international engineering group owned by a private equity sponsor.
- The arrangers on the take private of a Taiwanese chemicals group by a private equity sponsor and the founding family.
- A private equity sponsor on various senior and holdco PIK financings of educational assets in Singapore and the PRC.
*Experience prior to joining White & Case.