Charles McConnell is a Partner in White & Case's Asia Debt Finance and Restructuring practice, based in Singapore. He is qualified to practice English law and Singapore law.
Charles has extensive experience in cross-border financings in South East Asia, including leveraged and acquisition financings, margin financings, and structured and corporate financing transactions. He has established deep client relationship with banks, credit funds, sponsors and corporates. He also advises banks, credit funds and corporates in non-contentious insolvency and restructuring matters.
Charles is sensitive to commercial priorities and focused on key issues. He is recognized for Singapore Banking & Finance: International by Chambers Asia Pacific 2023 and for Singapore Banking and Finance: Foreign Firms by Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2023. He is described by clients as being "knowledgeable, professional and cooperative" (Chambers Asia Pacific 2023), and receives praise from clients for his "strong technical ability and knowledge." (Chambers Asia Pacific 2023). Another client reports: "Charles McConnell provides very good support and has deep experience, especially in Vietnam matters." (Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023).
Charles' experience includes advising:
- A private equity sponsor on the restructuring and refinancing of educational assets in Singapore and the PRC.
- The mandated lead arranger and original lender on a US$125 million term loan facility with an additional US$125 million accordion facility provided to an industrial and logistics real estate developer in Vietnam.
- Various international investment banks in a margin loan to a global private equity firm for investment in bonds issued by a Vietnamese company in the consumer sector.
- An international investment bank in respect of back leverage to a global private equity firm for investment in various bonds issued by a Vietnamese real estate group.
- An international investment bank in respect of financing to a global private equity firm for its acquisition of an interest in a Vietnamese schools business.
- A leading Philippine bank in a margin financing to a global private equity firm against shares of a clean and renewable power company in the Philippines.
- An international investment bank in a secured margin financing to the shareholder of an Indonesian copper and gold mining company.
- A private equity sponsor in relation to the recapitalisation of its education platform in South East Asia, including Vietnam.
- The arranger on the restructuring of various margin financings in respect of Singapore and Indonesian listed shares.
- The arranger on back-leverage on a minority stake acquisition of Philippines medical assets by a private equity sponsor.
- Compagnie Generale des Etablissements Michelin ("CFM") on the restructuring and full repayment of:
- US$95 million facility agreement to PT Royal Lestari Utama ("RLU") and its subsidiaries from TLFF I Pte. Ltd. ("TLFF") following the acquisition of 100% of shares in RLU by CFM,TLFF's US$95 million secured fixed rate notes as listed in SGX.
- Release of security granted by RLU and its subsidiaries and the security deposit held by TLFF on behalf of RLU.
- The lenders in a term facility and a revolving credit facility amounting up to US$790 million granted to IBC Capital Limited, Goodpack IBC (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. and Goodpack Pte. Ltd., a KKR portfolio company.
- A global investment banking group in the PKPU (Indonesian insolvency process) of an Indonesian textile group and related security enforcement and the restructuring of a financing with an Indonesian individual.
- A global investment bank as lender to borrower, Near Pte. Ltd., a SaaS platform that offers a source of intelligence on People, Place, and Product data.
- RRJ Capital on its recapitalization buy-out merger of Singapore-based Fullerton Healthcare Corporation Limited.
- UTICO FZC, UAE's leading private water and power utility provider, in the approximately US$3 billion restructuring of the Hyflux group, a Singapore water and power conglomerate listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- The arranger on the sponsor backed acquisition financing of a Vietnamese integrated hotel and casino.*
- BNP Paribas on the US$95 million fixed rate secured notes due 2034 and green long term facility agreement structured as a loan repackaging in respect of the development of sustainable natural rubber plantations in heavily degraded landscapes in Jambi Samatra and East Kalimantan provinces of Indonesia.*
*Experience prior to joining White & Case.
Notable Practitioner, Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 – 2023
Banking & Finance – Singapore (International Firms)
Next Generation Partner, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023
Banking & Finance – Singapore (Foreign Firms)