Hendrik's practice focuses on labor law for national and international clients advising managers and HR departments in all areas of labor law. He is particularly specialized in navigating complex transactions with labor law issues, including transfer of undertakings (TUPE) and drafting M&A agreements. He has considerable experience handling extensive restructuring matters, including headcount reductions, operational changes, legal reorganizations, outsourcing projects and negotiations with works councils and unions, in particular in the aviation, automotive and energy industry. Hendrik also advises clients in compliance matters and disputes involving board members, managing directors, executives and employees. Hendrik regularly represents clients before labor courts in all instances (local labor courts, regional labor courts and federal labor court) and before civil courts.
Hendrik is particularly highly regarded as specialist for insolvency labor law, acting for insolvency administrators, companies under self administration and investors in Distressed M&A deals. Germany JUVE handbook highlights Hendrik as "highly experienced in insolvency labor law" and names Hendrik als "highly recommended lawyer" in the area of labor law.
Hendrik has published several articles and legal commentaries in the area of insolvency labor law and labor law with reorganizations. Before joining White & Case, Hendrik Röger was a research assistant at the Institute for Labour Law at the University of Hamburg and visiting lecturer at the University of Hamburg. Hendrik has been a visiting lecturer at the Hamburg Media School and also for the Bucerius Executive Education Program at the Bucerius Law School. Hendrik is a sought-after trainer for HR managers, in-house lawyers and students.
Hendrik is a member of the Lawyers' Association Hamburg, the Hamburg Assocation for Labor Law and the Labor Law Group of the German Bar Association.
Insolvency Labor Law Advice – Employment, Restructuring, M&A
Advising in the restructuring, sale / acquisition or shutdown of insolvent companies in different industries, for example Air Berlin-Group (Aviation / MRO), Caritas Hamburg (Health Care), Condor (Aviation), Conergy-Group (Renewables), Duisburg Special Tubes (Metal), Ernst Koch (Metal), Flexstrom (Energy), Gardeur-Group (Fashion), German Pellets (Energy), Henschel (Metal), Hamburg International (Aviation), Hertie (Retail), Innova (Retail), Interconti Hamburg (Hotel), JD Norman (Automotive), Kemmerich (Automotive), Kronenbrot (Food), LVPR (Recycling), Metalsa / ISE Automotive (Automotive), NatGas (Energy), Paracelsus Group (Health Care), PROKON Pflanzenöle (Renewables), PZW Press- und Zerspanungstechnik Witten (Automotive), REGE Motorenteile (Automotive), Sanicare (Health Care / Pharmacy), Schaidt (Automotive), Schieder (Furniture), Teldafax (Energy), Whitesell (Automotive), et.al.
Air Berlin Group – Employment, Restructuring, Litigation
Advising aviation group Air Berlin in several restructuring projects, including representation in works council negotiations, highly complex conciliation processes and court cases / injunctive relief cases.
Dow Jones – Employment, Litigation
Advising US media house Dow Jones in employment and litigation matters.
EWE Group – Employment, Compliance, Litigation
Advising Germany's #5 energy supplier EWE (electricity, natural gas, telecommunications, IT) and its subsidiaries, including contentious matters and compliance projects.
SABIC (Saudi Basic Industries Corporation) – Employment, Compliance, Litigation
Advising Saudi Arabia's largest public company, a diversified manufacturing company specialized in chemicals and intermediates, industrial polymers, fertilizers and metals, in several employment, compliance and litigation matters.
- Insolvency Labor Law – Handbook, Munich, 2018, (Insolvenzarbeitsrecht – Handbuch)
- Labor Law With Restructuring Asset Deals. In: Handbook Labor Law in Restructuring and Insolvency – Ed. Burkhart Göpfert and Steffen Schöne. Köln, 2nd Edition, 2019 (Arbeitsrecht in der übertragenden Sanierung, in: Handbuch Arbeitsrecht in Restrukturierung und Insolvenz, 2. Auflage, hrsg. von Göpfert / Schöne) (with Sven-Holger Undritz)
- Labor Law with Cyber-Security – Preparedness and Response. In: Legal Handbook Cyber-Security. Ed. Detlev Gabel, Tobias Heinrich, Alexander Kiefner, Frankfurt, 2019 (Arbeitsrecht, in: Rechtshandbuch Cyber-Security, hrsg. Von Gabel / Heinrich / Kiefner)
- Insolvency Money. In: Handbook Insolvency. Ed. Joachim Kraemer, Heinz Vallender and Norbert Vogelsang. Bonn, 76th edition, As of October 2016 (Insolvenzgeld, in: Handbuch zur Insolvenz, 76. Auflage, hrsg. von Vallender / Vogelsang) (with Bero-Alexander Lau)
- Commentary on Art. 13 Preventive Restructuring Framework Directive. In: Preventive Restructuring – Ed. Christoph Morgen. Cologne, 2019 (Kommentierung von Art. 13, in: Präventive Restrukturierung, hrsg. von Morgen)
- Commentary on Sec. 322-325 Merger Act. In: Merger Act – Corporate Law, Tax Law, Procedural Law – Ed. Lars Böttcher, Oliver Habighorst and Christian Schulte. Baden-Baden, 2nd Ed., 2019 (Kommentierung der §§ 322 – 325 UmwG, in: Nomos-Kommentar Umwandlungsrecht – Gesellschaftsrecht | Steuerrecht | Verfahrensrecht, 2. Auflage, hrsg. von Böttcher / Habighorst / Schulte)
- Fight or Flight? Required labor law reactions with an insufficient estate. In: ZInsO 2019, Issue 8, Pages 368-374 („Fight or Flight”? Arbeitsrechtlicher Handlungsbedarf bei Masseunzulänglichkeit) (with Sebastian Stütze)
- The competent works council for staff reductions in insolvency cases. In: ZIP 2018, Issue 43, Pages 2045-2054 (Das zuständige Betriebsratsgremium beim Personalabbau in der Insolvenz)
- Enforced Social Plan With Business Demerger (Sec. 134 German Transformation Act) and Company Groups – Unlimited Liability? In: NZA 2012, Issue 6, Pages 294-299 (Der erzwungene Sozialplan bei Betriebsspaltungen (§ 134 UmwG) und Konzernverbindungen – Grenzenloser Durchgriff?) (with Nina Tholuck)
- Any Volunteers? Legal and strategic aspects of Volunteer Leave Programs for Staff Reductions. In: NZA-RR 2011, Issue 8, Pages 393-398 (Freiwillige vor? Rechtliche und strategische Aspekte von Freiwilligenprogrammen beim Personalabbau) (with Holger Meyer)
Highly Recommended Lawyer, Best Lawyers/Handelsblatt 2021
Labor and Employment Law
Highly Recommended Lawyer, JUVE 2019/2020
Highly Recommended Lawyer, Legal 500 Germany 2019
Germany's Best Lawyers – Employment, Best Lawyers/Handelsblatt 2019