Hyder Jumabhoy is a partner in our global M&A and Corporate practice, based in London.
Hyder has a particular focus on financial institutions. He has advised on a broad range of corporate transactions in the financial services sector, including restructurings, non-core disposals, mergers, acquisitions, JVs, and business integrations.
Hyder's recent experience includes a number of complex multi-jurisdictional banking, asset/wealth management, financial market infrastructure and fintech transactions.
- Representation of Union Bank of Nigeria on the disposal of its UK banking subsidiary, Union Bank UK, to financial sponsor MBU Capital
- Representation of LGT Group on its proposed acquisition SG Kleinwort Hambros from Société Générale (aborted)
- Representation of SoftBank Vision Fund on its US$390 million equity investment in OakNorth Bank, the #2 largest European fintech investment.
- Representation of Alpha Bank on:
- the disposal of its Greek merchant acquiring business, including 80,000 merchant contracts, to American Express
- the disposal of its Serbian banking subsidiary, Alpha Bank Srbija, to AIK Banka
- the disposal of its majority stake in Ionian Hotel Enterprises, a Greek business listed on the Athens Stock Exchange
- Representation of fintech unicorn Klarna Bank on its acquisition of the retail and e-commerce financing arm of Close Brothers
- Representation of Diamond Bank on:
- English law aspects in connection with its merger with Access Bank, to become the largest retail bank in Africa
- the disposal of its UK banking subsidiary, Diamond Bank (UK), to family office investor GFG Alliance
- Representation of Centerbridge Partners on its bid to acquire Leumi Card (aborted)
- Representation of Worldpay on the disposal of its 5.9 percent interest in Visa Europe to Visa Inc.
- Representation of PPF Group on its original and subsequent investments in ClearBank, a "challenger" UK financial market infrastructure banking business
- Representation of the board of directors of The Co-operative Bank on:
- proposed acquisition of The Co-operative Bank (aborted)
- the Co-operative Bank's formal sale process under the UK Takeover Code and successful capital restructuring and change of control, including £250 million of new investment by a committee of bondholders and £450 million capitalisation of Tier 2 bonds
- Representation of State Street Bank and Trust on:
- English law aspects in connection with the multi-billion US$ reorganisation of its EU operations
- the disposal of its UK, Channel Islands and Luxembourg fund administration services business
- the disposal of its Jersey and Irish capital markets administration services business
- Representation of Credit Suisse on its disposal of the J O Hambro Investment Management group
- Representation of Nomura International on the horizontal merger by absorption, under the Cross-Border Merger Regulations 2007, between Nomura’s UK and German operations
S&P Global Market Intelligence, 'Activist investors take aim at insurers amid pandemic rebound' (July 2021)
Investment Monitor, 'Cross-border deals soar, but domestic activity still dominates banking M&A' (July 2021)
Financier Worldwide Magazine, 'The costs and benefits of strategic bank capital' (November 2020)
Financier Worldwide Magazine, 'Banks look to FinTechs to grow deposit base' (July 2020)
Chambers Global, 'European Fintech M&A: Key Issues for Strategic Investors' (December 2017)
PLC Magazine, 'Finetch: Key Issues for Operating Fintech Businesses' (April 2017)
"A top firm. Really strong, they stand out from their competitor firms."
M&A: Upper mid-market and premium deals UK Legal 500, 2020
"Hyder Jumabhoy is making a name for himself in the world of fintech, working for Softbank Vision Fund on its equity investment in Greensill Bank and funding round for OakNorth Bank"
The Lawyer, UK Corporate 50, 2020