Isaac Tendler is counsel in the Firm's Tax Practice. His practice focuses on cross-border and domestic taxation, including tax aspects of global and domestic mergers and acquisitions, real estate joint ventures, securities offerings, securitizations and financing transactions.
Recent matters include the representation of:
Macquarie Infrastructure Corp. (NYSE: MIC) and its related entities in the sale of three businesses, including (i) the US$4.475 billion sale of its Atlantic Aviation business to KKR; (ii) the US$2.685 billion sale of International-Matex Tank Terminals to Riverstone Holdings LLC.; and (iii) the US$514 million sale of the MIC Hawaii businesses to Argo Infrastructure Partners, LP.
Calpine Corporation in:
- its US$17 billion sale to Energy Capital Partners, an energy-focused private equity firm, and a consortium of investors including Access Industries and Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board. This transaction was named "Americas Private Equity Tax Deal of the Year" by International Tax Review in 2018.
- its US$1.05 billion acquisition of Noble Americas Energy Solutions, LLC (NAES), the nation's largest independent supplier of power to commercial and industrial retail customers.
- its US$395.5 million sale of Mankato Power Plant, a 375 MW natural gas-fired, combined-cycle power plant located in Minnesota, to Southern Company subsidiary Southern Power.
- its sale of South Point Energy Center, an approximately 504 MW natural gas-fired, combined-cycle, electric generation facility on the Fort Mojave Indian Reservation in Mohave Valley, Arizona, to Nevada Power Company.
Sony Corporation of America in its:
- US$287.5 million acquisition of 100 percent of the Estate of Michael Joseph Jackson's direct interest in Nile Acquisition LLC and indirect interest in DH Publishing, L.P., the parent entity of one of the world's leading music publishers.
- US$2.3 billion acquisition of the equity interests in DH Publishing, L.P. (the parent entity of EMI Music Publishing) held by a group of investors led by Mubadala Investment Company.
An affiliate of Morgan Stanley Infrastructure in its US$1.3 billion acquisition of SpecialtyCare, Inc., a leading national platform with an established network for providing outsourced clinical services to hospital operating rooms and provider of perfusion, intraoperative neuromonitoring and surgical services.
Carlyle Power Partners in the US$590 million acquisition of three natural gas-fired generation facilities in New England, known as Bridgeport Energy, Tiverton Power and Rumford Power.
Advent International on the sale of its controlling interest in AI Dream, a leading premium sleep solution provider that operates global brands Serta and King Koil in China.
EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) in the tax-free spin-off and subsequent merger of its broadcast satellite service business, including nine satellites and certain real estate owned by EchoStar, with a subsidiary of DISH Network Corp. (NASDAQ: DISH).
Dynegy Inc. in:
- its US$119 million sale of two intermediate gas-fueled plants located in Dighton and Milford, Massachusetts to a subsidiary of Starwood Energy Group Global.
- the acquisition of a 28.1% interest in the Wm. H. Zimmer Generating Station and a 36 percent interest in Miami Fort Unit 7 and Miami Fort Unit 8.
- the purchase by its wholly owned subsidiary, Dynegy Zimmer of AEP Generation Resources Inc.'s interest in the Wm. H. Zimmer Generating Station; and in the sale by Dynegy's wholly owned subsidiary, Dynegy Conesville, LLC of its interest in the Unit 4 Conesville Generating Station to AEP.
- the purchase of undivided ownership interests in two coal-fired electric generating plants in Ohio from AES Ohio Generation, LLC.
Vale S.A. (NYSE: VALE), a Brazilian mining company and the largest producer of iron ore and nickel in the world, in its US$550 million acquisition of Ferrous Resources Limited, a mid-sized iron ore company in Brazil.
Advania AB, an IT services provider and portfolio company of Goldman Sachs AMD, in its acquisition of Content+Cloud, a Microsoft-focused cloud services and digital transformation partner based in the UK.
HNA Group North America LLC and its affiliates in connection with the second phase of the preferred equity investment by SL Green Realty Corp. in 245 Park Avenue in New York City. As of the closing, the SL Green investment totals US$148.2 million. In connection with the transaction, we represented HNA with respect to negotiation of a new property management agreement pursuant to which SL Green will serve as the building's property manager, overseeing all leasing and operations.
BNDES Participacoes S.A., as a shareholder of Marfig Global Foods, S.A., in the acquisition by Marfrig Global Foods S.A., through its subsidiary NBM US Holdings, Inc., of a majority stake in National Beef Packing Company, LLC from Leucadia National Corporation and NBPCo Holdings, LLC, as Sellers.
De' Longhi Industrial S.A. in its acquisition of a minority stake in La Marzocco International LLC, a leading manufacturer of high end professional espresso coffee machines.
China Three Gorges Corporation in its US$1.2 billion acquisition of Duke Energy's assets in Brazil.
Quad-C Management, Inc., a leading middle-market private equity firm, in its investment in Pharm-Olam International, Ltd., a multinational, full-service clinical research organization serving the biopharmaceutical and medical device industries.