James is an associate in the Project Development and Finance group in the Houston office of White & Case, and prior to that, the Firm's New York office. His practice focuses on energy finance, oil & gas, project development and the representation of sovereign states and state-owned enterprises. James is also active in the Firm's pro bono initiatives.
Prior to joining White & Case, James was a US Army Cavalry Officer in the First Cavalry Division stationed out of Ft. Hood, Texas, following which he also served as a socio-political advisor for the US government in central Asia.
Oil & Gas
- Representation of Occidental Petroleum Corp. on its US$825 million sale of onshore oil and gas assets in Colombia to The Carlyle Group, a private equity management firm.
- Representation of the first lien lenders in the Chapter 11 reorganization of a US$500 million reserve based credit facility.
- Representation of Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco) on the update to its Rule 144A/Regulation S Global Medium Term Note Programme and the issuance of US$8 billion of notes thereunder.
- Representation of Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco) in its US$69.1 billion acquisition of a 70 percent stake in Saudi Basic Industries Corp. (SABIC), one of the world's largest chemicals companies, from the Public Investment Fund, the sovereign wealth fund of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Representation of Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco) on its US$25.6 billion initial public offering, which is the world's largest initial public offering. Saudi Aramco is the world's largest integrated oil and gas company. The offering was significantly oversubscribed and at listing Saudi Aramco's valuation was US$1.7 trillion.
- Representation of a private equity-backed Argentine energy technology company in its joint venture with a US utility company to manufacture and deploy small scale LNG technology in North America, including related O&M, marketing, liquefaction, gas supply, joint venture, and related project agreements.
- Representation of Occidental Petroleum in connection with its IT Integration with Anadarko Petroleum after Occidental Petroleum acquired Anadarko Petroleum in a transaction valued at US$55 billion.
- Representation of the underwriter in a US$255 million term loan B and US$20 million revolver to ENSTOR Gas, an indirect affiliate of ArcLight Capital Partners. The proceeds were used to refinance the costs incurred for the acquisitions of more than 70bcf of high-turn natural gas storage assets and a 95 intrastate transmission system in Alabama and Mississippi.
- Representation of Calpine Development Holdings, Inc. (CDHI) in connection with a revolving commercial bank loan facility to fund the construction of wind and natural gas fired power projects.
- Representation of Beal Bank, MUFG Bank, and CLMG Corp as arrangers on a US$376 million term loan B and letter of credit facility for the refinancing of the 758 MW Panda Temple II CCGT project in Texas.
- Representation of Beal Bank as sole lender on a US$360 million term loan B for the refinancing of the 758 MW Panda Sherman CCGT power plant in Texas.
- Representation of a confidential client who provided mezzanine financing to support the construction in Chile of (i) a photovoltaic solar power project; (ii) a combined cycle gas-fired power plant; (iii) an LNG regasification terminal; and (iv) related pipelines and transmission lines.
- Representation of Altán Redes, S.A.P.I. de C.V., the first Mexican wholesale shared mobile network, in the negotiation and implementation of an industrial partnership agreement with both Axtel and Mega Cable (two of the most prominent Telecom companies in Latin America) for the design, installation, operation, maintenance and commercialization of a nationwide 700 MHz LTE wholesale shared network and for the exploitation of two optical fiber strands assigned by the Federal Power Commission (Comisión Federal de Electricidad).
Selected to the Institute for Energy Law's 2021 Leadership Class