James is an associate in the Firm's Project Development and Finance group. He is currently seconded to The Law Office of Megren M. Al-Shaalan, with which White & Case practices in cooperation in Saudi Arabia.
His practice involves a range of complex transactions across the energy industry, including project development, financings, mergers and acquisitions, and the representation of state-owned enterprises. He is also active in the Firm's pro bono initiatives.
James was previously an associate in our New York and Houston offices.
His representative experience includes the following:
- Representation of Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco), the world's largest integrated oil and gas company, on its US$25.6 billion initial public offering. The offering was the world's largest and, at listing, Saudi Aramco's valuation was US$1.7 trillion.
- Representation of Sempra Energy, one of North America's leading energy infrastructure companies, in its US$3.37 billion sale to KKR of a non-controlling, 20% interest in its new business platform, Sempra Infrastructure Partners, which integrates Sempra LNG, a leading developer of liquefied natural gas export infrastructure with IEnova (Infraestructura Energetica Nova, S.A.B. de C.V.), one of the largest private energy companies in Mexico.
- Representation of Occidental Petroleum Corp. on its US$825 million sale of onshore oil and gas assets in Colombia to The Carlyle Group, a private equity management firm.
- Representation of Calpine Corporation in connection with a revolving commercial bank loan facility to fund the construction of wind, geothermal, battery storage and natural gas-fired power projects.
- Representation of a confidential client who provided financing to support the construction in Latin America of (i) a photovoltaic solar power project; (ii) a combined cycle gas-fired power plant; (iii) an LNG regasification terminal; and (iv) related pipelines and transmission lines
2021 Leadership Class, Institute for Energy Law