James is an associate in the Firm's Project Development and Finance group. He is currently seconded to The Law Office of Megren M. Al-Shaalan, with which White & Case practices in cooperation in Saudi Arabia.
His practice involves a range of complex transactions across the energy industry, including project development, financings, mergers and acquisitions, and the representation of state-owned enterprises. He is also active in the Firm's pro bono initiatives.
James was previously an associate in our New York and Houston offices.
Bars and Courts
Texas State Bar
New York State Bar
Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas
Fordham University School of Law
Middle East Studies
The American University in Cairo
Political Science and Economics
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
His representative experience includes the following:
- Representation of Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco), the world's largest integrated oil and gas company, on its US$25.6 billion initial public offering. The offering was the world's largest and, at listing, Saudi Aramco's valuation was US$1.7 trillion.
- Representation of Sempra Energy, one of North America's leading energy infrastructure companies, in its US$3.37 billion sale to KKR of a non-controlling, 20% interest in its new business platform, Sempra Infrastructure Partners, which integrates Sempra LNG, a leading developer of liquefied natural gas export infrastructure with IEnova (Infraestructura Energetica Nova, S.A.B. de C.V.), one of the largest private energy companies in Mexico.
- Representation of Occidental Petroleum Corp. on its US$825 million sale of onshore oil and gas assets in Colombia to The Carlyle Group, a private equity management firm.
- Representation of Calpine Corporation in connection with a revolving commercial bank loan facility to fund the construction of wind, geothermal, battery storage and natural gas-fired power projects.
- Representation of a confidential client who provided financing to support the construction in Latin America of (i) a photovoltaic solar power project; (ii) a combined cycle gas-fired power plant; (iii) an LNG regasification terminal; and (iv) related pipelines and transmission lines
Awards and Recognition
2021 Leadership Class, Institute for Energy Law