Jamie Franklin is a partner in White & Case's Project Development and Finance Practice and a member of the Firm's US Energy Industry Group, resident in the Houston office. He is an English-qualified lawyer with experience practicing in London and Singapore and has advised clients across the North America, EMEA and Asia-Pacific regions for over a decade, helping them navigate some of the most complex transactions in the energy sector, particularly in relation to liquefied natural gas (LNG), gas and power projects.
Jamie has extensive experience in multi-source project financings, acquisition financings, holdco and hybrid financing structures, project bonds/private placements, structured financing platforms, refinancings and other debt-structured products and equity financings in the energy and infrastructure sector. He also advises on joint ventures and project development matters (including power purchase, feedstock and offtake agreements).
Jamie has worked on multiple award-winning, first-of-their-kind transactions, including the Ichthys LNG, Cameron LNG and Pertamina JTB gas projects.
BA (Hons) History
Select representative experience includes representing:
- The lenders on the development and financing of an FPSO project in Latin America.
- JBIC, NEXI and a syndicate of 29 commercial lenders, on the US$7.4 billion project financing of the Cameron LNG liquefaction-export project in Hackberry, Louisiana sponsored by Sempra, GDF SUEZ, Mitsui and Japan LNG Investment, LLC, a company jointly owned by Mitsubishi Corporation and Nippon Yusen Kabashiki Kaisha.*
- The sponsors in connection with the financing of the development and construction of a gas-fired power generation facility and related LNG regasification and import terminal in Chile incorporating an FSRU.*
- SMC Global Power Holdings Corp in the development of an LNG terminal to supply the Ilijan power plant in Batangas City, the Philippines.*
- A joint venture in the development of a gas-fired captive power project in Indonesia.
- PT Pertamina EP Cepu in the US$1.84 billion project financing of gas processing facilities and pipelines located in Bojonegoro Regency, East Java, Indonesia. The deal was named Asia-Pacific Oil & Gas Deal of the Year by PFI.*
- JBIC, NEXI, KEXIM, K-Sure, Bpifrance, Atradius, Euler Hermes, EFC and the commercial bank lenders in the US$20 billion project financing of the Ichthys LNG project in Australia, the largest project financing ever taken to market globally.*
- The sponsors in the project development of an offshore gas field project in Vietnam.*
- The lenders in the US$42 billion bond financing expansion of the Tengizchevroil project in Kazakhstan.*
- The financiers and ECAs on the NT$90 billion project financing of the 640MW Yunlin Offshore Wind in Taiwan. This is the largest wind farm developed in Asia Pacific to date and has been awarded PFI International's "Project Finance Deal of the Year" 2019.
- ADB, JBIC, NEXI and the commercial bank lenders in the US$440 million project financing of the 80 MW Muara Laboh Geothermal Power Project in West Sumatra, Indonesia; this is one of the pioneer new generation geothermal projects undertaken under the Fast Track 2 program and one of the first projects to successfully negotiate the new agreed bankable form of government support under the Fast Track 2 program.*
- ADB, JBIC, NEXI and a consortium of commercial bank lenders in the US$701 million project financing of the 98.4 MW Rantau Dedap Geothermal Power Project in South Sumatra, Indonesia.*
*Experience prior to joining White & Case
"Brave New World: Emerging Trends in Vietnam's LNG-to-power sector," January 27, 2022
"COP26: Hydrogen in the spotlight," December 1, 2021
"Prospects for LNG-to-power in Cambodia," May 20, 2021
"Rantau Dedap Steams Ahead," October 01, 2019