Jonathan Olier is the Executive Partner of the Singapore office of the Firm and also Head of the Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity practice group for Southeast Asia. He has been based in Singapore since 2010, leading a team of partners and associates dedicated to advising private equity clients, large corporates, real estate focused funds and data centre investors and operators. Jonathan is also a core member of the Global Real Estate Group.
Jonathan specializes in private capital transactions, investment funds and M&A. Jonathan advises private equity funds on their capital raising and downstream transactions in Asia, including large global private equity firms as well as real estate and data centre investors.
Jonathan also advises multinational companies, state-owned companies and sovereign wealth funds on major cross-border, public and private transactions and joint ventures.
In addition, Jonathan's experience in distressed M&A has led to him advising on some of the largest restructurings in Singapore in the recent years.
- bKash Limited, the leading mobile financial services provider of Bangladesh, on its strategic partnership with Ant Financial Services Group, the operator of Alipay, the world's largest third-party payment platform.
CVC Capital Partners
- CVC Capital Partners on a significant pre-IPO investment in GarudaFood, an Indonesian consumer goods company
- ESR on the formation of a perpetual core fund and joint venture among ESR, AXA Investment Managers - Real Assets (AXA IM), and a major sovereign wealth fund in connection with the acquisition of six logistics properties in Japan for US$1 billion.
- ESR on the establishment of RJLF II Fund, a fund focused on real estate development of logistics and distribution projects, with Ping An, Equity International, EPF, Allianz as investors.
- ESR on its joint venture with Allianz Real Estate to establish a US$1 billion logistics investment platform in India.
- ESR on the establishment of the RJLF III Fund, a fund focused on real estate development of logistics and distribution projects.
- ESR on its capital raising and financing for Sachiura, a billion-dollar distribution center and one of the largest master-planned logistics parks in Japan.
- Redwood Group Asia on its merger with e-Shang Cayman Ltd (a logistics developer sponsored by Warburg Pincus and APG) to create 'e-Shang Redwood', one of the largest logistics real estate platforms in Asia (Singapore, China, Japan and South Korea).
- Chiyoda Corporation on the restructuring of EMAS Chiyoda Subsea of its indebtedness by way of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy and the subsequent sale of certain assets of EMAS Chiyoda Subsea to Subsea 7 SA.
CBRE Global Investors
- CBRE Global Investment Partners as manager and sponsor, on its establishment of a Singapore specific investment vehicle and related shareholder arrangement with 8 global real estate investors for the equity funding of the acquisition of a portfolio of 169 properties in Japan from Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation – the total value of the transaction was in excess of US$1 billion.
- CBRE Global Investors on its establishment of a Singapore incorporated co-investment vehicle with Sunsuper with respect to AVP IV.
- GIC on its investment in a hyperscale data centre in Jakarta in partnership with Polymer Connected, a Singapore-based data centre start-up operator.
- Innovation Holdings (the IO legacy entity) on the sale of its Singapore data center.
- Midstream and Downstream oil company Puma Energy, on its joint venture agreement with Petrotrade, a distributor and retailer of fuel and petroleum products, for the supply of higher quality and greener fuel to Laos PDR.
- Puma Energy on its divestment in Langsat Terminal (One) Sdn Bhd and Langsat Terminal (Two) Sdn Bhd, its joint ventures in Malaysia with Dialog Terminals Sdn Bhd.
- Utico FZC, the UAE's leading private water and power utility provider with respect to the approximately S$3 billion restructuring of the Hyflux group, a Singapore listed water and power conglomerate.
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company on the global divestment of certain of its non-core products in LatAm, Russia CIS and Near East Middle East Africa (NEMEA).
- Wilmar International Limited, in the sale of Bunge's sugar trading business and certain assets to Wilmar.
Deutsche Bank AG
- Deutsche Bank AG, financial adviser to Kirin Holdings Company Limited, the Japanese food and beverage conglomerate, in Kirin's contractual arrangements with a consortium in the S$13.9 billion acquisition of all of the shares of Fraser and Neave Limited, a food and beverage company listed on the Singapore Exchange. This deal won the "Deal of the Year 2013" by ASIAN-MENA COUNSEL; "M&A Deal of the Year" at the IFLR Asia Awards 2014 ; "SE Asia M&A Deal of the Year", "Singapore M&A Deal of the Year" and "SE Asia Deal of the Year" at the ALB SE Asia Law Awards 2014.
- Nestle S.A. in its S$2.1 billion acquisition of 60 percent of Singapore listed Hsu Fu Chi, a leading manufacturer and distributor of confectionary products in China, and on its joint venture with the Hsu family who will retain a 40 percent interest in Hsu Fu Chi. This matter was named "Deal of the Year 2011" by China Business Law Journal and "Deal of the Year 2012" by ASIAN-MENA COUNSEL, "Singapore M&A Deal of the Year", Asian Legal Business SE Asia Law Awards (2012).
'Leading Individual' for Corporate and M&A: Foreign Firms - Singapore by Legal 500 (2019-2020)
Band Two for Singapore Corporate/M&A: International in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020
White & Case Pro Bono Award, 2019