Jonathan Olier is the Head of the Asia-Pacific Corporate M&A group, which encompasses the M&A, private equity, investment funds and real estate practices, and focuses on providing an integrated service offering for international and Asia-based clients across a variety of large and complex corporate transactions in the region.
Jonathan has been based in Singapore since 2010, leading a team of partners and associates dedicated to advising clients on their M&A and investments in South East Asia. He focuses on advising private equity clients, large corporates, investment funds and family offices. In addition, he has significant experience in doing transactions involving the New Economy (fintech, digital assets, digital infrastructure, data centers, Web3, etc.). Jonathan's experience in distressed M&A has led to him advising on some of the largest restructurings in Singapore in recent years.
- bKash on a Series C investment round with SoftBank Vision Fund II, the tech investment fund of SoftBank, investing US$400m for a 20% stake through a primary and secondary investment.
- bKash on its strategic partnership with Ant Financial Services Group, the operator of Alipay, the world's largest third-party payment platform.
CBRE Global Investors
- CBRE Global Investment Partners as manager and sponsor, on its establishment of a Singapore specific investment vehicle and related shareholder arrangement with 8 global real estate investors for the equity funding of the acquisition of a portfolio of 169 properties in Japan from Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation – the total value of the transaction was in excess of US$1 billion.
- CBRE Global Investors on its establishment of a Singapore incorporated co-investment vehicle with Sunsuper with respect to AVP IV.
- Chiyoda Corporation on the restructuring of EMAS Chiyoda Subsea of its indebtedness by way of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy and the subsequent sale of certain assets of EMAS Chiyoda Subsea to Subsea 7 SA.
CVC Capital Partners
- CVC Capital Partners on its investment in Landers Superstore.
- CVC Capital Partners on its significant pre-IPO investment in GarudaFood.
- ESR on the formation of a perpetual core fund and joint venture among ESR, AXA Investment Managers - Real Assets (AXA IM), and a major sovereign wealth fund in connection with the acquisition of six logistics properties in Japan for US$1 billion. This transaction has been named "Real Estate Deal of the Year" by ALB Japan Law Awards 2019.
- ESR on its joint venture with Allianz Real Estate to establish a US$1 billion logistics investment platform in India.
- ESR on the establishment of the RJLF III Fund, a fund focused on real estate development of logistics and distribution projects.
- ESR on its capital raising and financing for Sachiura, a billion-dollar distribution center and one of the largest master-planned logistics parks in Japan.
- The founders of ESR Cayman Limited ("ESR"), as shareholders of ESR, in relation to ESR's US$15 billion proposed business combination with the ARA Group.
- GIC on its investment in a hyperscale data centre in Jakarta in partnership with Polymer Connected, a Singapore-based data centre start-up operator.
Hertz Global Holdings, Inc.
- Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. in the US$7.22 billion reorganization and recapitalization of the company in the context of the company's Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Innovation Holdings (the IO legacy entity) on the sale of its Singapore data center.
- Ooredoo Group, on the US$6bn merger of PT Indosat, an Indonesian subsidiary of Ooredoo Group, with PT Hutchison 3 Indonesia, an Indonesian subsidiary of CK Hutchison Holdings Ltd.
- Midstream and Downstream oil company Puma Energy, on its joint venture agreement with Petrotrade, a distributor and retailer of fuel and petroleum products, for the supply of higher quality and greener fuel to Laos PDR.
- Puma Energy on its divestment in Langsat Terminal (One) Sdn Bhd and Langsat Terminal (Two) Sdn Bhd, its joint ventures in Malaysia with Dialog Terminals Sdn Bhd.
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company on the global divestment of certain of its non-core products in LatAm, Russia CIS and Near East Middle East Africa (NEMEA).
- Utico FZC, with respect to the approximately S$3 billion restructuring of the Hyflux group, a Singapore listed water and power conglomerate.
- Wilmar International Limited, in the sale of Bunge's sugar trading business and certain assets to Wilmar.
- Zip Co Limited (ASX: Z1P), in its strategic investment in ZestMoney, the largest and fastest-growing buy now, pay later platform in India.
'Leading Individual' for Corporate and M&A: Foreign Firms - Singapore by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019-2022
Band Two for Corporate/M&A: International - Singapore by Chambers Asia Pacific 2020-2022