Mohamed is an associate in our Corporate and M&A practice. Mohamed advises family offices, high net worth persons, financial institutions, banks, investment firms, private-equity firms and government-owned companies on public and private mergers and acquisitions.
Oil & Gas
- The Industrialization and Energy Services Company (TAQA) on its US$415m acquisition of drilling rigs and related assets from Schlumberger in Kuwait, Oman, Iraq and Pakistan.
- Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) on the circa US$2bn disposal of a minority stake in its oil pipeline business to a consortium of private equity investors (including BlackRock and KKR).
- Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) on its disposal of a minority stake in its drilling business (ADNOC Drilling) to Baker Hughes.
- NMC Hospital on its US$200 million acquisition of CosmeSurge Clinics, a premium cosmetic surgery brand in the UAE.
- NMC Hospital on its acquisition of Al Rashed Hospital in Saudi Arabia.
- Emirates Hospitals Group on its circa US$100m acquisition of Al Khalidi Hospital, a major provider of inpatient and outpatient care in Jordan with renowned cancer treatment facilities.
- CSEH Investment LLC (a subsidiary of the KBBO Group) in its strategic expansion of its healthcare portfolio companies via strategic investments and joint ventures in major clinics and healthcare institutions across the Middle East, the USA and the European Union.
- Dr. Suad Lutfi on the disposal of a majority stake in her group of dermatology clinics across the GCC to Emirates Hospital LLC.
- Paradise Capital on the restructuring and divestment of its stake in the Egyptian Saudi German Hospital in Egypt.
Telecommunications, Media and Technology
- Etisalat on its 100% buy-out of Help AG, an advanced cybersecurity services provider in the UAE and Saudi Arabia.
- Emirates Investment Authority on its AED2.3bn acquisition of a 10% stake held by Mubadala Development Company in Emirates Integrated Telecommunications Company (Du), structured as an off-market trade on the Dubai Financial Market.
- Etisalat and Noor Bank on the launch of a Dirham-denominated digital payment services company in the UAE and regulated by the UAE Central Bank.
- Emirates Cable TV and Multimedia (E-Vision) (a subsidiary of Etisalat, the telecommunications firm in the UAE) on its investment in Playco Holdings and the distribution of StarzPlay content on its E-Life platforms.
- Ufone (Etisalat's subsidiary in Pakistan) on its proposed auction process for the sale and leaseback of circa 6,000 telecommunications towers in Pakistan [aborted].
- Ma'arif Holding Company for Education and Training (the largest owner and operator of private schools in Saudi Arabia) in relation to the sale of 100 per cent. of their shareholding to GEMS Education and Hassana Investment Company.
- CI Capital Holding for Financial Investments, Egypt's leading diversified financial services and investment group, on the indirect acquisition with a group of co-investors of a 60% interest in Taaleem Management Services Company SAE, a leading higher education platform in Egypt
Private Equity & Venture Capital
- Cross Ocean Partners (an investment firm focusing on credit investments in a broad range of asset classes), and Fortress Investment Group (a leading global investment firm) on their joint venture and US$900 million acquisition of a portfolio of shipping loans from Cerberus Capital Management
- Abu Dhabi Capital Group on its acquisition of a stake in Equa Bank A.S.
- Goldman Sachs and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development on their co-investment in Modanisa, a major online retailer of modest wear for women.
- Goldman Sachs on its minority investment in FixPrice group, a leading "dollar" chain store based in Russia and Central Asia.
- Goldman Sachs and Baring Vostok Capital Partners on their investment in Sravni.ru, a Russian-based comparator website of banking and insurance retail products.
- Amwal QSC (and a consortium of investors) on its proposed investment in DJI Technologies, a leading manufacturer of civilian drones [aborted].
- Blue Horizons ex Ventures LP on its investment in Spark Cognition Inc, a Silicon Valley-based start-up that specializes in developing deep AI technology.
- Certares LP on its co-investment with Dubai Holding in Nirvana, a major tourism business in the United Arab Emirates.
Retail and Entertainment
- Al Arabia, a leading designer and manufacturer of indoor and outdoor advertising billboards, on the disposal of a minority stake in MBC Group (the largest free to air television broadcaster in the Middle East).
- Al Hokair Group on its pioneering joint venture with Cinepolis in relation to the establishment and operation of movie theatres in Saudi Arabia.
- Emaar Entertainment LLC on its joint venture with the Saudi Arabian General Organization for Social Insurance (GOSI) on the establishment and operation of Reel Cinemas in Saudi Arabia.
- Huhtamaki Oyj on the restructuring of its joint venture with the Olayan Group relating to their paper and plastics business in the GCC.
- The Kuwait Food Company (Americana Group) on its divestment of shares in Gulfa Water (a manufacturer of bottled water products in the UAE) to private Emirati investors as an off-market exchange on the Dubai Financial Market.
- Majid Al Futtaim (the UAE-based retailer and mall operator) on its competitive auction bid to acquire a substantial minority stake in Souq.com [aborted].
- Majid Al Futtaim (the UAE-based retailer and mall operator) on its proposed acquisition of Retail Arabia, the franchise owner of a major hypermarket and supermarket chain in the GCC.
- Paradise Capital, an investment house based in Egypt owned by the Sallam Family, on the multi-million dollar disposal of a stake to a strategic investor in connection with their white appliances business.
Energy & Logistics
- United Arab Shipping Company (UASC), the Dubai-headquartered container shipping business, and its majority shareholders Qatar Holding and Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia on its announced multi-billion dollar merger with German shipping company Hapag-Lloyd, one of the largest M&A deals ever in the MENA region.
- International Finance Group (the investment arm of the World Bank) on its US$200 million equity investment in Unit Investment NV, a major utilities supplier in Turkey and Central Asia.
- International Finance Group (the investment arm of the World Bank) on its multi-million dollar equity investment in Alcazar Energy Partners in connection with its proposed clean energy ventures across the world.
- DP World on its US$670 million acquisition of Sokhna Port, Egypt, through the acquisition of a substantial shareholding in ECHCO, the company established for the operation of the port, from Amiral Holdings and Orascom Construction.
Banking & Finance
- Itau Middle East on its intra-group restructuring and merger with Itau Holding, one of the largest financial institutions in Latin America.
- Steppe Capital on its multi million dollar acquisition of a private beach villa project from Imkan Properties LLC.
- Reem Investments on its proposed strategic investment for a majority stake in a major Abu Dhabi real estate developer [aborted].
- Abu Dhabi Financial Group on its proposed acquisition of certain distressed real estate assets in the GCC, India and North Africa from Gulf Finance House [aborted].
- Investment Corporation of Dubai on its acquisition of a marquee hotel in Thailand.
- Gulf Islamic Investments on the structuring and organization of its REIT in the UAE.