Poorvi Satija is an Associate in the International Arbitration Group in London and is qualified to practice in India and the State of New York. Her practice includes international commercial and investment arbitration cases.
Poorvi has been actively involved in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot competition as an arbitrator and coach for a number of years. She is also a trained mediator and negotiator and has been coaching teams for the IBA-VIAC CDRC Vienna Mediation and Negotiation Competition since 2017.
Poorvi graduated from NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad in 2013 with several laurels, including the most outstanding student of her class and the Vice Chancellor's Medal for outstanding leadership skills.
She is actively involved in a number of the Firm's pro bono projects, including for Interburns and the Centre for Reproductive Rights.
Prior to joining White & Case, Poorvi was an associate with one of India's leading law firms, during which time she was involved in high profile transactions, disputes, as well as government advisory work.
Her experience includes:
- Representing a US electricity company in ICSID annulment proceedings against the Republic of Guatemala;
- Representing two US investors in the gold mining industry in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Guatemala under the DR-CAFTA;
- Represented an investor in an Investor-State dispute against an Eastern European State;
- Represented a PE fund in a JV dispute regarding the valuation of their shares in a South-Asian company;
- Represented a Spanish-Mexican consortium in a construction dispute against a Latin American State entity;
- Represented a hydro-electric power company in an ad-hoc international arbitration;*
- Represented a major wind-power company in a complex dispute with cross-border implications, including civil suits before Indian courts and an ICC arbitration;* and
- Represented a port infrastructure company in an LCIA arbitration.*
*Matters prior to joining White & Case
"Settlement" in UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration: A Commentary, Ilias Bantekas, Pietro Ortolani, Shahla Ali, Manuel A. Gomez and Michael Polkinghorne (eds.), 2020 (with Michael Polkinghorne)
"Emergency Arbitrator Proceedings", Kluwer Arbitration Practice Plus, 10 December 2019 (with Andrew McDougall and Salma Selim)
Winner, 1st KLRCA YPG Essay Competition, 2017
Hogan Lovells scholarship, International Academy for Arbitration Law, July 2016
Temasek Foundation's Leadership Enrichment and Regional Networking (LEaRN) scholarship, 2012
Sir Ratan Tata Trust Scholarship, 2009