Yasser K. Riad
Yasser K. Riad is a partner in the Firm's Project Development and Finance Group, based in the UAE. Yasser advises governments, sponsors, lenders and other stakeholders on the development and financing of energy transition and efficiency projects, with a particular focus on sustainable water desalination and renewable energy technologies including solar, nuclear, hydrogen and battery storage.
Solar / Power
- Ongoing representation in relation to the refinancing of a solar IPP.
- Representation of Saudi Power Procurement Company in connection with the 1.5 GW Sudair solar project in Saudi Arabia, the 300MW Jeddah PV IPP Project and the 300MW Rabigh PV IPP Project.
- Representation of Emirates Water & Electricity Company (EWEC) in connection with the PV2 IPP involving the development of a 2GW solar project, the largest single-site solar project in the world, together with a grid station and associated facilities in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, UAE. This deal was recognised as "Middle East Solar Deal of the Year" by Project Finance International 2020 and "MENA Renewables Deal of the Year" by IJGlobal 2020.
- Representation of EWEC in connection with the development of the US$1.14 billion Fujairah F3 power generation plant having a net capacity of 2400MW together with a grid station and associated facilities. This deal was recognised as "Middle East Power Deal of the Year" by Project Finance International 2020 and "MENA Power Deal of the Year" by IJGlobal 2020.
Sustainable Water Desalination
- Ongoing representation of EWEC in connection with the Mirfa 2 RO IWP.
- Representation of EWEC in connection with the Taweelah RO IWP, involving the development at the Taweelah complex of a 200MIGD reverse osmosis desalination plant. This deal has recently been recognised as "MENA Water Deal of the Year" by IJGlobal 2019 and "Middle East Project Finance Deal of the Year" by IFLR 2020, and has obtained the first-ever "sustainable loan" qualification for a water desalination project globally.
- Representation of ADWEA in connection with the US$ multi-billion Barakah nuclear project being developed in Abu Dhabi. The transaction was named "MENA Public Sector Financing Deal of the Year" by IJGlobal 2017 and "Middle East Project Finance Deal of the Year" by IFLR 2017.
- Representation of Bayerische Landesbank, Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale, Union Bank, Rabobank and Banco Santander in connection with the US$ 352 million project financing of the 150 MW Lost Creek wind farm in DeKalb County, Missouri.
- Representation of a consortium of lenders in the renewal, modification and extension of a loan to an affiliate of NRG Energy, Inc., secured by the 101 MW South Trent wind farm located in Nolan and Taylor Counties, Texas.
- Ongoing representation of Abu Dhabi National Energy Company (TAQA) in connection with the establishment of Abu Dhabi Energy Services, the "Super ESCO" for the Emirate of Abu Dhabi and creation of template documentation.
Next Generation Partner
Legal 500, 2021
"Yasser Riad has extensive experience advising sponsors, lenders and other stakeholders on project finance as well as infrastructure, oil and gas and power transactions."
Legal 500, 2021