“Young, dynamic and looks like he will go places because he is hard-working, competent and passionate.” - Chambers Global 2021
Aditya Singh is a Partner based in Singapore where his practice focuses on international arbitration. He also has experience conducting and coordinating complex government and internal investigations involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Aditya is qualified to practice in India, New York, and England and Wales. He worked in White & Case's London and New York offices before moving to Singapore in 2016.
Aditya has experience representing governments and private parties in both institutional (ICC, LCIA, ICSID, AAA/ICDR) and ad hoc arbitral proceedings in various jurisdictions, including Paris, London, New York, Singapore, Geneva and Canada. He has advised clients in the energy, infrastructure, financial services, construction and insurance industries.
Aditya is recognized as a "Future Leader" by Who's Who Legal: Investigations 2022.
Aditya regularly advises on the drafting of arbitrations clauses, as well as conflict of laws and jurisdictional matters. He serves on the Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA) Board of Reporters as the India Rapporteur. He was previously the Asia Regional Chair for the Institute for Transnational Arbitration's under-40 group, the Young ITA. He has served as a Regional Representative for Asia Pacific for the LCIA's Young International Arbitration Group, as well as a Global Advisory Board member of ICDR Y&I.
Aditya deals with conflict of laws and jurisdictional matters and provides counsel on drafting of arbitrations clauses. He also advises on public international law and human rights matters.
Aditya is an Adjunct Assistant Professor at the National University of Singapore. He publishes and speaks frequently on international arbitration, corporate internal investigations and matters of Indian law.
During law school, Aditya served as Senior Editor of The Yale Journal of International Law and Editor of The Yale Law & Policy Review.
Previously, Aditya was a Student Empirical Research Fellow at the Harvard Law School's Program on the Legal Profession and a Grotius Fellow and Visiting Scholar at the University of Michigan Law School.
Recent representations include:
- Representing a state-owned Asian company in a SIAC arbitration against a major Chinese construction company, arising out of a solar farm project.
- Representing one of the largest solar-panel makers in a dispute relating to defective diodes for solar panels.
- Representing the Republic of India in enforcement proceeding in respect of a high value investment treaty award arising from the termination of a contract between Devas and the Indian space agency for use of satellite spectrum in the telecommunications sector.
- Representing the Republic of India in defending the enforcement by Cairn of a +US$ 1 billion investment arbitration award issued under the India-UK BIT.
- Representing a Korean private equity & venture capital firm in a post-M&A SIAC arbitration. The claims arose out of breaches of misrepresentations, warranties and covenants by the seller in a PE M&A transaction.
- Representing a contractor consortium in a US$1.5 billion SIAC arbitration relating to the construction of an oil and petrochemical refinery in a Southeast Asia country.
- Representation of The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in Samsung Engineering Co. Ltd. v. Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, an ICSID arbitration under the Saudi Arabia-South Korea BIT relating to the claimant's interests in a project for the construction of a power and desalination plant in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising a Japanese engineering company on a potential Singapore-seated ICC arbitration arising out of tunnelling for a major South-East Asian project.
- Representing the US subsidiary of a global engineering company in a SIAC arbitration arising out of a construction dispute relating to a coal mine in Indonesia.
- Representing a state-owned electronics company in a US$1 billion SIAC arbitration, seated in Singapore and governed by New York law, in relation to the termination of a licensing agreement.
- Representing the Republic of Uzbekistan in an ICSID arbitration under the Kazakhstan-Uzbekistan BIT concerning two cement plants.
- Advising an Asian power company in relation to a potential ICC arbitration regarding LNG pricing.
- Representing a sovereign state in proceedings before the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, resisting the enforcement of a US$50 billion arbitral award.
- Representing a multinational financial institution in a London-seated LCIA arbitration in connection with trademark violations.
- Representing a sovereign state in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings relating to payment of royalties for the production of natural gas.
- Acting for four major national oil companies in an ICC arbitration relating to production sharing contract in East Asia.
- Representing the State of New York in an AAA arbitration brought by a Native American tribe involving close to $1 billion in casino revenues payable under a gaming compact.
- Advising an investor seeking to enforce LCIA arbitration awards in India.
- Representing the lead partner of an international consortium of contractors in an ICC arbitration arising from the termination of a FIDIC Silver Book contract relating to a major rail project in Southern Europe.
- Acting for a leading European bank before the English High Court in relation to recognition of restructuring proceedings.
- Advising a major Middle Eastern gas supplier in relation to long-term gas supply agreements and, in particular, their price review clauses.
- Advising a global healthcare company in an investigation of FCPA issues arising from its Asian operations.
- A global life sciences company in DOJ and SEC investigations of FCPA and revenue recognition issues arising from Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- A global insurance company on internal investigations prior to its listing on the US stock exchange.
- A major French bank on cross-border investigations conducted by several regulatory authorities (US, France, UK, European Commission, Switzerland and Singapore).
- A Chinese company in the healthcare industry on compliance risk assessment and developing a series of group-level compliance policies.
- A global entertainment company on an investigation of business operations of a target company in an acquisition.
Panel on legal innovation in law firms, KL Start-Up Summit, Asia-Pacific Legal Innovation & Technology Association (ALITA), March 2021
"Time and Cost Savers at SIAC: Emergency Arbitration, Expedited Procedure and Early Dismissal", SIAC Indochina Academy, October 2020
"State of Legal Innovation in the Asia-Pacific 2020", TechLaw.Fest, October 2020
"Due Process in International Arbitration", Center for Transnational Litigation and Commercial Law, NYU Law School, New York, October 2019.
"The Future of International Arbitration: The 2018 QMUL Survey and Beyond", Young ITA Talks, Dubai, December 2018.
"Disclosure and Document Production in International Arbitration", YSIAC Workshop, Mumbai, October 2018.
"Various Issues about Investment Arbitration", ICC YAF Investment Arbitration Seminar "Practical Tips from Investment Arbitration Counsel and Secretariats", January 2018
"Globalization of the Profession: The "Foreign Entry" Debate", Mumbai Symposium "The Rise of the Indian Corporate Legal Sector" hosted by The Harvard Law School Center on the Legal Profession, December 2017
"ICC Arbitration Rules 2017 and new guidance on Expedited Procedures – Use & Advantages'', ICC India Arbitration Conference, December 2017
"What's Next for Arbitration?", seminar jointly presented by White & Case and Jindal Global Law School, September 2017
"Effectiveness of International Arbitration", Jeddah Economic Forum, March 2016.
"Nuts and Bolts of International Arbitration Practice", Yale Law School, November 2015.
"Selection of Arbitrators", Panel on International Arbitration, Indian General Counsels' Retreat, August 2014.
"The Rise of International Investment Arbitration", Centre for International Trade and Economic Laws, Jindal Global Law School, October 2013.
"A Dialogue on the Practice of International Arbitration", Yale Law School, April 2013.
"A Passage to India : Globalization of the Indian Legal Profession and the 'Foreign Entry' Debate", Harvard Law School, February 2013.
"Globalization of the Profession and Regulation of Law Practice", International Conference on Law and Society, Honolulu, June 2012.
Co-author, Supreme Court of India paves way for enforcement of emergency arbitration awards in India-seated arbitrations (with Dipen Sabharwal KC, Subhiksh Vasudev), 2021
Co-author, Navigating through construction disputes in India (with Dr Matthew Secomb), 2021
Co-author, Supreme Court of India ruling allows for foreign-seated arbitrations between Indian companies (with Dipen Sabharwal KC, Philip Tan), 2021
Co-author, "Mind the Gap: Decommissioning Challenges in Asia", Platform, 28 Apr 2021 (with Saul Daniel, Dr Matthew Secomb)
Co-author, In a landmark ruling, Indian court rejects objections to enforcement of a $300 million LCIA award (with Nandan Nelivigi and Dipen Sabharwal)
Current Trends in International Investment Arbitration, Litigation—The Journal of the American Bar Association's Section of Litigation, Spring 2015.
"Risky Business : Protecting Indian Investments Abroad", The Economic Times, 14 January 2013.
"A Comment on U&M Mining Zambia v. Konkola Copper Mines Plc", XVI(3) International Arbitration Law Review (2013).
"From Bhatia to Balco : Where do we go from here?", VII(6) Global Arbitration Review (2012).
"Justice Delivery in India : A Snapshot of Problems and Reforms", 125 Economic Developments in India (2009).
Leading individual in Singapore, WWL Investigations 2022 - Future Leaders
Leading Lawyer: Dispute Resolution (Expertise Based Abroad) in India, Chambers Global 2021
Rising Star in Commercial Arbitration by Expert Guide 2020
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019 & 2020, India - Dispute Resolution (International Firms)