Bob Li is an Associate in the Firm's Global White Collar Practice Group.
He focuses on anti-corruption investigation, cross-border litigation, regulatory and compliance matters, including data privacy and protection matters. He represents multinational companies and provides compliance advice to corporate clients that may be subject to internal investigations and enforcement actions by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), U.S. Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and other governmental agencies.
Bob earned the ANSI-accredited Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) credential through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). Bob is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association and passed the national bar examination in China in 2013.
Prior to joining the Firm, Bob worked at other law firms in Shanghai and Chicago, where he advised clients on cross-border litigation and government investigation matters.
Bob's representations include the following:
White Collar / Investigation / Litigation
- Represented the special committee of a US listed China-based communication solution provider to conduct an internal investigation with respect to certain allegations regarding related party transactions and accounting irregularities.
- Represented the audit committee of a U.S. listed China-based life science company in connection with an independent review of certain issues regarding assessment of related party transactions.
- Represented a multinational technology corporation in connection with its internal investigation on certain issues of employees and distributors misconduct.
Compliance Due Diligence
- Represented Goldman Sachs Asset Management in its investment in various targets based in China on compliance due diligence.
- Represented a leading China-based, Nasdaq-listed developer and operator of high performance data centers and IT infrastructure services, on anti-bribery and corruption due diligence reviews for its investments.
- Representation of a leading global supplier of wires, cables and wiring systems in reviewing and revising the development and adaptation of its compliance policies, and other related compliance matters for China.
- Represented a China-based software company that is affiliated with a Nasdaq-listed software company on legal and compliance due diligence and advice.
- Represented a leading petroleum and gas company on the development of large-scale petrochemical projects in China on sanctions compliance.
- Represented a leading U.S.-based social networking service, in connection with international litigation and regulatory matters.
- Advised an American dental implants manufacturer on compliance matters relating to the company's operations in China.
- Represented a India-based subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited, on its US$200 million investment in Glance InMobi Pte. Ltd.
Data Privacy and Protection
- Advised a multinational company on cross-border data transfer matters pursuant to data security and protection laws in various jurisdictions.
- Advising several e-commerce and Internet companies on privacy, data transfer and data protection matters.
- Advised a leading China-based digital solutions provider in connection with its export control audit.
- Developed a comprehensive compliance program for a major Chinese oil and gas company including anticorruption, export control and sanctions, anti-trust and others and provided continuing advice on specific compliance issues in China.
- Assisted a leading open source developer in connection with trade compliance and export control matters
- Assisted a major Chinese medical device provider in connection with trade compliance and sanctions matters.
Co-author, "China Issued New Measures for Cybersecurity Review in 2022", Pratt's Privacy and Cybersecurity Law Report (May 2022) (with Bingna Guo)