Craig Atkinson is a partner in the Firm's Global Mergers & Acquisitions Group in Johannesburg.
Craig's name and reputation in the market is associated with some of the largest and most complex, cross-border transactions and his expertise in the listed space is particularly noteworthy.
Craig's clients include listed and private corporate clients as well as local and international investment banks. For three years running (2021, 2022 and 2023), Craig has been noted by The Legal 500 as a "Next Generation Partner" for Commercial, Corporate and M&A in South Africa. Clients praise Craig for his "standout service delivery and turnaround times", as well as his "very commercial approach" (Commercial, Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500, 2021), they further state that "Craig Atkinson is notable in cross-border transactions for listed companies" and "Craig Atkinson is highly professional, very knowledgeable and very personable." (Commercial, Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500, 2022). Craig has also been ranked as "Up & Coming" for Corporate/M&A by Chambers Global for two years running (2022 and 2023), with outstanding client feedback "He worked extremely hard to meet deadlines and produced work of the highest standard." "He is easy to relate to and extremely talented in corporate law."
In addition to being a leading transactional lawyer, Craig also has specialist expertise in equity capital markets, private equity and black economic empowerment transactions. He also has significant experience in highly regulated sectors such as mining and natural resources, healthcare and pharmaceuticals and telecommunications.
- Representation of Absa Bank (Mauritius) Limited in its acquisition of the domestic Wealth and Personal Banking and Business Banking business of The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd.
- Representing Goldman Sachs in relation to Walmart’s ZAR6.4 billion acquisition of Massmart Holdings Limited.
- Representation of the bondholders of London Stock Exchange listed Petra Diamonds plc in relation to its proposed capital restructuring, (including advising on the corporate, and Black Economic Empowerment compliance aspects of the proposed restructuring insofar as it impacts the bondholders' rights and security).
- Representation of Brightbridge Real Estate Limited in its ZAR1.75 billion acquisition of all of the shares and claims on loan held by Rand Merchant Holdings in Atterbury Europe.
- Representation of Atterbury Europe Holding BV in relation to a EU375 million transaction where Pareto Limited acquired a 25% shareholding in Atterbury Europe Holding BV.
- Representation of Emira Property Fund in its successful takeover of Transcend Property Fund.
- Representation of Anchor Group Limited with respect to its scheme of arrangement, which contemplated, inter alia, a repurchase of its shares from its shareholders and a subsequent delisting from the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) and A2X.
- Representation of Pelagic Resources PTE Ltd in relation to its subscription for shares in JSE-listed Bauba Resources Limited.
- Representation of the Kiara Health group on its acquisition of Novartis' South African pharmaceutical manufacturing business, which was awarded "BEE Deal of the Year" by DealMakers in 2021.
- Representation of the Kiara Health group in respect of the acquisition by JSE listed Imperial Logistics African Regions Proprietary Limited of a 49% shareholding in the Kiara Health group.
- Representation of Zamani Capital (Pty) Limited in relation to its investment into Growthpoint Healthcare Property Holdings (RF) Limited, an unlisted healthcare real estate investment trust (REIT) launched by Growthpoint Properties Limited – the largest property investment holding company listed on the JSE.
- Representation of Zip Co Limited, a company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange, in its multi-million dollar acquisition of the entire issued share capital of a global instalment technology platform, PartPay Limited, providing exposure to four key jurisdictions, namely New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
- Representation of Cartrack Holdings Limited in relation to its listing on the JSE.
- Representation of the international deal managers, Barclays Capital Inc and Absa Bank Limited, in relation to the launch of a tender process by JSE-listed, global precious metal mining group Sibanye-Stillwater, to repurchase a portion of its corporate and convertible bonds.
- Representation of MC Mining Limited in relation to the development of the Makhado mining project, arguably the most significant coal development projects in the country, including raising funding from the Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa Limited and in relation to its various offtake arrangements.
- Representation of MC Mining Limited via its subsidiary Baobab Mining & Exploration, in relation to the acquisition of two key properties (Lukin and Salaita) required for its Makhado hard coking and thermal coal project.
- Representation of MC Mining Limited in relation to its ZAR1.3 billion takeover proposal for the entire share capital of Universal Coal plc, an ASX listed coal-mining company.
- Representation of Pallinghurst Group in relation to a CA$600 million equity investment in Nemaska Lithium Inc to finance the Wabouchi Project, a lithium and electrochemical plant in Quebec, Canada by way of a CA$200 million private placement and a rights issue offering up to CA$400 million.
- Representation of Pallinghurst Resources Limited in its successful hostile takeover of Gemfields PLC for a purchase consideration in excess of £200 million.
- Representation of Black Royalty Minerals in relation to the acquisition Sekoko Resources' interest in the Waterberg Project.
- Representation of Sedibelo Platinum Mines Limited and Pallinghurst Resources Limited in relation to the consolidation of various mining assets across the Western Limb of the Platinum belt in South Africa.
- Representation of Sedibelo Platinum Mines Limited in relation to the Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa Limited's subscription for a 16.2% shareholding.
- Representation of Tharisa plc in relation to its listing on the JSE.
"Next Generation Partner" for Commercial, Corporate and M&A, in South Africa
The Legal 500, 2023, 2022, 2021
"Up & Coming" for Commercial/M&A
Chambers Global, 2023, 2022
IFLR1000, M&A, South Africa 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019