Partner, New York
Daniel Kozin is a partner in the Mergers and Acquisitions practice group. In particular, he focuses on the representation of private equity sponsors in some of the most sophisticated domestic and cross-border acquisitions, divestitures and equity investments across a broad range of industries. In addition to private equity sponsors, Daniel also regularly guides major corporations through complex strategic transactions.
Daniel is listed in "The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch" for Mergers and Acquisitions by Best Lawyers (2021).
Bars and Courts
New York State Bar
Fordham University School of Law
University of Pennsylvania
Recent transactions include the representation of:
- CVC Capital Partners in numerous transaction, including its:
- US$1.8 billion acquisition of ConvergeOne Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: CVON), a leading global IT and managed services provider of collaboration and technology solutions. The transaction was named "M&A Deal of the Year (Over US$1 billion)" and "Information Technology Deal of the Year (Over US$1 billion)" by M&A Advisor (2020).
- acquisition of a majority stake in ExamWorks, a global leader in independent medical examinations, peer reviews, document management, and related services.
- acquisition of a majority stake in MedRisk, a leading provider of managed physical medicine services for the workers' compensation industry in the United States.
- acquisition of Mediaocean, the leading global omnichannel advertising platform.
- investment in a limited liability company formed to create, acquire and invest in enterprises in the sports, media, entertainment, technology and lifestyle industries.
- Macquarie Infrastructure Partners in numerous transactions, including its:
- acquisition of DTG Recycle, Washington State’s leading independent vertically integrated non-MSW recycling business.
- US$1.212 billion sale of WCA Waste Corporation, to GFL Inc.
- US$957 million acquisition of Lakeshore Recycling Systems, the largest private waste company in Illinois.
- Antin Infrastructure Partners in its US$1.25 billion acquisition of Veolia Group's district energy assets in the United States.
- Ares Management in numerous transactions, including:
- Toys "R" Us on WHP Global's investment in TRU Kids Parent LLC, parent company to the Toys "R" Us, Babies "R" Us, Geoffrey the Giraffe brands and more than 20 established related consumer toy and baby brands. TRU Kids Parent LLC was controlled by Ares Management LLC, Solus Alternative Asset Management LP and Franklin Mutual Advisers LLC. WHP Global is a portfolio company of Oaktree Capital Management.
- its recapitalization, alongside Hudson's Bay Company, of Convene, a flexible co-working and hybrid event space provider.
- Cobepa S.A. in numerous transactions, including BioAgilytix's acquisitions of 360biolabs, and the subsequent recapitalization of BioAgilytix.
- Harvest Partners in the sale and reinvestment of its portfolio company, VetCor Group Holdings Corp., one of the largest operators of veterinary hospitals in the US.
- Quad-C Management, Inc. and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions, including its:
- acquisition and disposition of Wolf Holdings Organization, Inc.
- sale of Balboa Water Group
- sale of Curvature
- sale of Wolf Home Product
- acquisition of Greythorn, Inc.
- acquisition of a majority interest in Boulder Scientific Company, LLC
- add-on acquisition of Unitrans Holdings, Inc., an international transportation and logistics provider, by portfolio company AIT Worldwide Logistics Holdings, Inc.
- AMP Capital Investors Limited, an Australian specialist global investment manager and subsidiary of Australia's largest retail and corporate pension provider, in the acquisition of Everstream Solutions LLC, a super-regional network service provider of fiber-based Ethernet, internet and data center solutions.
- Certares LP in (i) its investment in AmaWaterways, a leading luxury river cruising company and (ii) its acquisition of Guardian Alarm, a super-regional security provider.
- The Carlyle Group in its take private of Blyth, Inc. (NYSE:BTH), a direct-to-consumer manufacturer and seller of candles and home fragrance products.
- Pilot Flying J and its shareholders, the Haslam Family, in the investment in a significant minority stake by Berkshire Hathaway. Pilot Flying J is the largest operator of travel centers in North America with more than US$20 billion in revenues.
- Sony Corporation of America in its US$2.3 billion acquisition of the equity interests in DH Publishing, L.P. (the parent entity of EMI Music Publishing) held by a group of investors led by Mubadala Investement Company.
- Sony Corporation of America in its US$750 million acquisition of the 50% interest in Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC held by the Estate of Michael Jackson.
- Dominus Capital and its portfolio companies in numerous transactions, including its sale of On Campus Marketing.
- BlackRock and First Reserve in acquiring a 45 percent interest in two natural gas pipelines in Mexico from PMI, a unit of state-owned oil and gas company Petróleos Mexicanos (PEMEX).Avast Software, an industry leading maker of security software, in its US$1.3 billion acquisition of AVG Technologies, a developer of business, mobile and PC device security software applications.
Awards and Recognition
Listed in "The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch" for Mergers and Acquisitions, Best Lawyers 2021