Daniel offers clients a wealth of government and private practice experience to assist clients in complex criminal and regulatory matters around the world. He has handled investigations, due diligence and compliance engagements in Asia, Europe, Africa and North and South America. He has also handled politically high-profile matters, both before the Justice Department and Congress.
Prior to joining White & Case, Daniel held a number of legal advisory posts in the US government, including Chief of Staff at both the FBI and the Department of Justice, and senior associate counsel to the president and legal adviser to the National Security Council.
As Assistant US Attorney for the Central District of California, he prosecuted several jury trials, including multi-month, multi-defendant racketeering trials and the first federal death penalty case in the district in more than 30 years.
- Internal Investigation for Multinational Financial Services Firm. Daniel investigated allegations of market manipulation and represented his client before both the DOJ and CFTC;
- Internal Investigation for Multinational Manufacturing Firm. Daniel conducted an internal investigation involving allegations of FCPA violations in Russia and elsewhere, and also represented his client before the SEC and DOJ;
- Internal Investigation for Multinational Retail Firm. Daniel handled an internal investigation regarding allegations of FCPA violations in China, and also represented his client before the SEC and DOJ;
- Represented a witness in the congressional impeachment proceedings, two clients in the Durham investigation into the origins of the Russian investigation, and former senior government officials in a variety of investigations;
- Internal investigation for Multinational Consulting Firm. Daniel investigated allegations of theft of confidential information. The entire investigation was conducted remotely;
- Internal investigation for Multinational Technology Company. Daniel investigated allegations of self-dealing in the Middle East. The entire investigation was conducted remotely;
- Internal investigation for Multinational Energy Company. Daniel investigated allegations relating to government contracting in Mexico;
- Internal Investigation for Multinational Entertainment Firm. Daniel mounted an internal investigation into allegations of FCPA violations in Asia, and also represented the client before the DOJ;
- Internal Investigation for Multinational Communications Firm. Daniel conducted an internal investigation involving allegations of FCPA violations in Europe and represented his client before the SEC and DOJ; and
- Internal Investigation for Multinational Media Company. Daniel investigated allegations of self-dealing and other management misconduct in Europe.
Prior to joining White & Case LLP, Daniel held a number of positions in the government, including:
- Senior Associate Counsel to the President and Legal Adviser to the National Security Council, 2005;
- Acting Assistant Attorney General, Office of Legal Counsel, 2004 – 2005, where he wrote the replacement opinion concerning the statute prohibiting torture;
- Chief of Staff to Attorney General, William Barr, 1991 – 1993;
- Chief of Staff to Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Robert Mueller, 2001 – 2002;
- Assistant US Attorney, Central District of California, 1995 – 2001, where he prosecuted numerous jury trials;
- Trial Attorney, Environmental Crimes Section, Department of Justice, 1987 – 1988;
- Counselor to Attorney General, John Ashcroft, 2001, 2003 – 2004;
- Associate Deputy Attorney General, where he was responsible for national security matters, the Civil Division and the Environment and Natural resources Division; and
- Counselor to US Attorney for the Northern District of California, Robert Mueller, 1999.
"Opportunities for Pro Bono Service," 2020: Washington Council of Lawyers Summer Forum – Criminal Law Panel
"World Bank and AIIB Sanctions System and Compliance": 2020, Webcast
"Update on U.S. FCPA Enforcement Actions and the Implications for Multinational Companies with Operations in China," 2019: The American Chamber of Commerce in the People's Republic of China
FCPA Update, China Forum for Legal & Compliance Officers, 2019, American Conference Institute, China
FCPA Update Webcast, 2019
"FCPA Update", 2014: American Chamber of Commerce, Moscow
"The US Perspective in Compliance: Global Legal Tendencies and Perspectives", 2014: St. Petersburg Legal Forum
"FCPA Update," 2013: Webcast, Washington, DC
"National Security Law, Justice Department and Related Topics," 2006–2019: Harvard Law School, Georgetown Law School, Howard Law School, American University Law School, Georgetown, Colombia Law School
"Confidential Advice from My Tax Lawyer, Is it Still Protected by the Attorney-Client Privilege and the Work Product Doctrine?" Tax Executive Institute, Washington, DC
"Justice and the New Administration," American University Law School, Washington, DC
"Implementing and Monitoring an Effective Anti-Corruption Compliance Program for Chinese Operations," ACI China Summit on Anti-Corruption, Shanghai, China
"How to Conduct Effective Anti-Corruption Due Diligence in M&As in China," ACI China Summit on Anti-Corruption, Shanghai, China
"Administration Lawyers and Administration Interrogation Rules," Witness, Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, Committee on the Judiciary, United States House of Representatives, Washington, DC