Iain is a UK-based member of White & Case's Global International Trade Practice and brings more than 25 years of experience. An authority on Brexit, Iain is recognised as one of the few highly-ranked international trade lawyers in the UK market. He has extensive experience in WTO dispute settlement and free trade agreement negotiations as well as export control and sanctions-related work.
Iain advises clients in the context of all stages of WTO dispute settlement proceedings and advises a range of clients including industry associations, companies and governments on international trade law and policy, especially the impact of Brexit and the future EU-UK relationship. He helps clients to take advantage of international trade agreements, including the World Trade Organization and bilateral trade agreements around the world.
Iain's practice also includes UK and EU law on customs, anti-dumping, anti-subsidy and safeguard measures. He works extensively with the European Commission and the UK government on EU law and international trade law matters affecting third-country markets, and has experience in the life sciences, food and beverage, agriculture, petrochemicals, services and industrial equipment sectors, among others.
Iain's experience includes advising:
- A major international oil services company on restructuring its UK export control program
- A leading financial service company on compliance with UK and EU sanctions laws, including the conflicting demands of EU and US sanctions regimes
- The European spirits industry on four discriminatory excise taxes cases before the World Trade Organization
- The European Federation of Pharmaceuticals Industries and Associations on the negotiation of a pharmaceuticals annex to the EU-Korea Free Trade Agreement
- A leading UK manufacturer on treatment of origin declarations under trade agreements
- Scotch Whisky Association on preparation of a claim against Colombian authorities related to discriminatory treatment of imports by national and regional governments
- Leading UK manufacturers on the impact of Brexit on their supply chains.
International Trade/WTO – Chambers Global 2020
International Trade/WTO – Chambers Europe 2020
Global Leader, Trade & Customs - Who's Who Legal