Johan Steen is a Partner in White & Case's EMEA Private Equity Group where he focuses on advising financial investors and corporates acquiring from financial investors on cross-border M&A and restructuring matters (including distressed M&A).
Johan has lead teams advising on a large number of high-profile deals in the Nordic region in recent years.
Johan has, according to the leading M&A ranking institute Mergermarket, acted on more than 90 deals worth more than USD41 billion, which is one of the highest deal values ever recorded by a Nordic private M&A lawyer.
In previous years he has, e.g., been ranked by Mergermarket:
#1 in private M&A deal value in Sweden;
#1 in cross-border M&A in Sweden by deal value and volume;
#1 in private equity deal volume in the Nordics; and
#6 in total deal volume in Europe.
Johan's transactional experience include, e.g. public-to-private buy-out transactions, corporate carve-outs, FIG M&A, Infrastructure M&A and Tech M&A, dual track exits, restructurings and distressed investing.
He has advised clients on cross-border M&A deals involving targets in e.g. Denmark, Norway, UK, Spain, Eastern Europe, Germany, China, India, the Netherlands, Italy and the US.
Johan has also represented several Nordic and international GPs (buy-out, real estate, venture, deal-by-deal funds) and LPs in connection with fundraisings.
Acknowledgements include being awarded as an Emerging Leader in the EMEA by The M&A Advisor and being recognized by the international subscription Private Fund Management as one of Thirty Under 40 private equity lawyers globally.
His prior experience includes acting as associate general counsel for one of the major Nordic private equity houses, Altor Equity Partners, which has given him unique insights into the mindset and investment thought process of a leading private equity investor.
Johan has an MBA (with distinction) from London Business School. He is a member of the Swedish Bar Association.
Representation of Nomura, a global financial services firm and Barclays, a multinational investment bank and financial services company on their acquisition of Cevian Capital's entire stake in AB Volvo, the global leading truck manufacturer and the largest stock-listed entity in Sweden, and Nomura and Barclays later on-sale of the entire stake to Geely. The deal was the largest deal in Sweden 2017 and the largest ever exit by an activist fund globally.
Representation of Ingenico Group, the global leader in seamless payments, on its EUR 1.5 billion acquisition of Bambora, a fast-growing global player in the payments industry, from private equity firm Nordic Capital. The transaction was the 2nd largest transaction in Sweden in 2017.
Representation of Naspers, a global internet and entertainment group and one of the world’s largest technology investors in connection with their USD 1.2 billion majority stake investment in Avito AB, one of the world's leading online classifieds companies, in 2015 and Naspers' subsequent USD1.16 billion buy-out of the remaining minority in 2019. The deal was the 2nd largest private M&A deal in Sweden in 2015 and the largest ever online deal in the Nordics and the 2nd largest private M&A deal in Sweden 2019.
Representation of the sellers in the sale of the Dellner Couplers Group, a leading supplier of complete train connections systems, to the EQT VIII fund. The deal was the 5th largest private M&A deal in Sweden 2019.
Representation of Bridgepoint, the leading European private equity house, on the SEK8.5 billion (US$930 million) disposal of the Nordic Cinema Group, the largest cinema operator in the Nordic region, to AMC Entertainment, the world's largest cinema operator. The deal was the 3rd largest deal in Sweden 2017.
Representation of Altor, a family of private equity funds focused on investing and developing medium sized companies and one of Johan's repeat clients. He has acted for them on more than 20 successfully closed deals, including e.g. the following:
- the acquisition of Thomas Cook Northern Europe (a.k.a. Vinggruppen; and subsequently to Nordic Leisure Travel Group) by a consortium consisting of Altor, Strawberry Equities (Petter Stordalen) and TDR;the acquisition of Eleda, a provider of installation and contract services in the infrastructure sector, (including the add-on of JVAB) from management investors and the divestment of One Nordic, a producer and supplier of electricity, to Eleda whereby an infrastructure service provider with more than SEK 6bn in revenue was created;
- the MEUR 275 divestment of Ålö, the global market leader in front loaders and associated implements for agricultural tractors, to Jost Werke;
- the acquisition of Gummigrossen and RengasDuo, the market leading tire and tire related wholesalers in Sweden and Finland respectively; and
- the acquisition of Carnegie Investment Bank, a leading independent Nordic Investment Bank and Max Matthiessen, a leading independent Swedish adviser within pension insurance, life insurance and long-term savings, from the Swedish National Debt Office.
Representation of FSN Capital, a leading Nordic private equity investor focused on middle market investments and another of Johan's repeat clients. He has acted for them on more than 20 successfully closed deals, including e.g. the following:
- the acquisition of Bygghemma, the leading Nordic online retailer of do-it-yourself products (DIY) and home furnishings, from Nordstjernan;
- the acquisition of SneakersnStuff, a leading global online and physical retailer of limited edition sneakers; and
- the acquisition of Holmbergs Safety Systems, a global supplier of mission critical safety systems to the child safety seat industry.
Representation of Patricia Industries, the private equity arm of Investor AB (publ), and its portfolio company Piab, a manufacturer of vacuum pumps and parts, in connection with Piab's acquisition of Tawi, a leading provider of complete light lifting solutions, from SEB Private Equity.
Representation of Nalka, a Swedish investment firm, in the acquisition of OneMed, one of the leading medical supplies distributors in Northern Europe, from 3i.
Representation of HgCapital Renewable Power Partners and its Swedish wind farm investment vehicle Vasa Vind in connection with APG's MEUR 300 acquisition and investment in the 288 MW Åskälen onshore wind power project, which at the time of the signing was the largest ever onshore wind renewable power project in Sweden.
Representation of EQT, the global leading alternative multi-asset class investment manager, in connection the on-shore reorganization of the EQT funds.
Legal 500 2020 – Commercial, Corporate and M&A, Sweden