Laura McDaniels is a partner in the Global Mergers & Acquisitions Practice and Global Employment, Compensation & Benefits Interest Group, based in Silicon Valley.
Laura has over two decades of experience advising clients on compensation and benefits matters. She counsels companies across multiple industries at all stages of their life cycle--from startups to multinational corporations--on both day-to-day matters and transformative events. She also advises boards of directors, executives and investors.
A substantial portion of Laura's practice focuses on the compensation and benefits aspects of mergers and acquisitions, SPACs, spin-offs, joint ventures and other complex transactions. She also has deep experience guiding companies through the initial public offering process, and designing equity-based incentive arrangements for emerging growth and pre-IPO companies.
Her practice spans the full spectrum of general compensation and benefits concerns, including executive and equity compensation plan design and tax structuring, employment and separation contracts, public company disclosures, and corporate governance issues and best practices.
Prior to joining White & Case, Laura was a partner at Baker Botts LLP, and she also practiced for over a decade at Cooley LLP.
Member of California Law Review, Senior Articles Editor of Berkeley Technology & Law Journal
- JTC PLC in its acquisition of SALI Fund Services, a provider of fund services to the Insurance Dedicated Fund and Separately Managed Account market, with US$15.8 billion of assets under management.
- RigNet (NASDAQ: RNET), a global offshore communications service provider, in its US$222 million acquisition by Viasat Inc. (NASDAQ: VSAT).
- ExxonMobil Chemical Company in its US$156 million acquisition of all shares of Materia, Inc., a company focused on manufacturing advanced materials.
- Pelican Energy Partners, an energy services focused private equity fund, in its acquisition of the Surface Pressure Control Flow business unit from Baker Hughes.
- Bristow Group (NYSE: VTOL), an offshore oil & gas transportation services company, in its US$876 million stock-for-stock merger with Era Group (NYSE: ERA).
- The management team of Virgin Galactic (NYSE: SPCE) in connection with its merger with Social Capital Hedosophia Holdings Corp., a SPAC.
- Uber Technologies (NYSE: UBER), in its US$3.7 billion joint venture with Yandex Taxi, and its acquisitions of JUMP Bikes and Otto.
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ), a global investment group managing funds for public retirement and insurance plans, in its acquisition of a majority ownership in Wizeline, Inc., a global technology services provider.
- TaskUs (NASDAQ: TASK), a business process outsourcing company, in its sale of a majority stake to Blackstone Group, a private equity firm, for US$250 million.
- LogRhythm, a security intelligence company, in its sale of a majority stake to Thoma Bravo, a software and technology-focused private equity firm.
- Allogene Therapeutics (NASDAQ: ALLO), a clinical stage immune-oncology company, in its acquisition of the CAR-T asset portfolio from Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE).
- Rovi Corporation (NASDAQ: ROVI) in its US$1.1 billion acquisition of TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO). Stratasys, Ltd. (NASDAQ: SSYS), an Israeli-based 3D printer manufacturer, in its acquisitions of Solid Concepts and GrabCAD.
Initial Public Offerings
- Dream Finders Homes (NASDAQ: DFH), a national home builder, in its $125 million IPO.
- Uber Technologies (NYSE: UBER) in its US$8.1 billion IPO.
- DocuSign (NASDAQ: DOCU), an e-signature and contract management platform company, in its US$723 million IPO.
- TriNet (NYSE: TNET), a professional employer organization, in its US$276 million IPO.
- Atara Biotherapeutics (NASDAQ: ATRA), an immunotherapy company, in its $55 million IPO.
- Tableau Software (NYSE: DATA), a data visualization software company, in its $250 million IPO.
*Certain matters were handled prior to joining White & Case.
Co-Speaker, "TechGC Deputy GC Virtual Roundtable: Happy Tax Day!", May 2021
Co-Speaker, "Executive Compensation Tax Issues in M&A: IRS Rules for Stock Options, Deferred and Equity Comp, Golden Parachutes", Strafford Webinars, July 2020
Co-Speaker, "Human Resources and Organizational Development", Austin Technology Council 2020 Scaling Series, March 2020
Speaker, TechGC Roundtable – Executive Compensation, December 2019
Speaker, "New Section 83(i) Deferral Opportunity: A New Hope or Just Hype?", 18th Annual Oregon Tax Institute, June 2018
Co-Speaker, "Preparing for Mergers, Acquisitions and Spin-Offs", Silicon Valley NASPP Meeting, September 2017
Co-Speaker, "The IPO’s Return from Hiatus!", Solium Synergy Conference, May 2017
Speaker, "A New Year, a New Proxy, a New You!", San Francisco NASPP Meeting, January 2016
Co-Speaker, "The IPO Journey & Stock Compensation: Getting There is Only Half the Fun!", Solium Synergy Conference, October 2014
Furloughs Create Complications for Compensation and Benefits, Tax Notes, May 21, 2020
Impact of California AB 5 on Payroll Taxes and Benefits, Employee Relations Law Journal, Spring 2020